Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:40 pm

Thanks

michelew

Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:42 pm

thereshopeyet wrote:
AND I look down and suddenly realise that I forget to get dressed
Scary!

:S
ABSOLUTELY!!! :blush: :blush: .... hey.... wait a second...!!!! Scary for whom?????!! B) :P

lueders

Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:43 pm

I work on sitting and holding the guitar properly. Fretting and keeping the thumb where it belongs. Changing chords without looking at the neck. All the basics...

I work on IF YOU COULD READ MY MIND. I am actually getting that to sound like a song, not a practice session. I work on putting sounds and words with the music.

I am working on the PANCHO AND LEFTY video posted by Jay sometime ago. His version of that song is very good and I hope to learn it the way he plays it.

As a pure confidence builder, I play the intro to DUST IN THE WIND. I never hoped to sing that song; I merely use the intro to say to myself: If you can learn that, you can learn anything you really want badly enough.

I've actually gotten [strike]pretty[/strike] fairly good at MARGARITAVILLE.

TwoCat

jimbo58

Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:17 am

It's interesting the amount of things everybody is working on, and I guess that's what makes TG so good. there is so much material to choose from.
I have tried to cover different styles like:-

fingerpicking,

Here Comes the Sun, John Denver's This Old Guitar and The Streets of London.

theroy.
still trying to get my major scales down pat,

Flat picking,
California Dreaming and Donovan's Catch the Wind. I have loved this song for over forty years! but I could never get the pick/strum pattern to sound right, but now that Mr Hogan has demystified it for me I am giving it a go.

Am I actually learning?, probably but it is so slow it's hard to see any real improvement, but i'll keep going with the help of TG.

Music Junkie

Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:47 am

Hahaha! :laugh: :laugh: You crack me up! :laugh:

michelew wrote:
thereshopeyet wrote:
AND I look down and suddenly realise that I forget to get dressed
Scary!

:S
ABSOLUTELY!!! :blush: :blush: .... hey.... wait a second...!!!! Scary for whom?????!! B) :P

boldent

Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:50 am

I'm working on Something, Stray Cat Strut, Chicken Fried and newly added, Catch The Wind. I'm fumbling with the F#maj7 cord in Something. I can see why Neil made it a level (7). Its hard on the hand/fingers. However, I'm looking forward to getting it down so I can post Something, hehe, double entendre.

Happy Holiday's everyone...

abiliog

Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:29 am

Jay,

Now I'm learning:
- Greensleeves
- Diamond & Rust
- Smile
- Working Class Hero (must learn how to use a pick :( )

Next ones (on hold for too long):
- Baby I'm Gonna Leave You
- The Needle And The Damage Done
- We Used To Know
- On The Horizon

No time for another marshmallow :), I think;

Abilio

Music Junkie

Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:49 am

Jay:

I love this question whenever it pops up as well. It is always good to know what others are working on. Only bad thing is that it adds to my never ending set list.. :woohoo:

Like Chris, I have one of my guitars set in Open D tuning to learn the following:
"Sailing" by Christopher Cross
"Streamside" by The Album Leaf
"Time for Me to Fly" by REO Speedwagon

Capo II for Open E tuning has been fun of late, because I have almost gotten "We just Disagree" by Dave Mason finished up (the transcription part anyway). Very fun song to play.

Then, not far from Open D in DADGAD, I have been toying with the intro to a Tesla song called "Little Suzi". Not sure why they did the intro in DADGAD and the rest of the song in standard tuning.... Kind of strange. The intro is fun and somewhat challenging for me.

Standard Tuning (or down 1/2 step or whole step)...... The list is overwhelming.... A few that get more practice time than others are:
"Father, Mother, Son" by John Corabi
"Silver, Blue & Gold" by Bad Company
"Lyin' Eyes" by The Eagles
"Looking Into You" by Jackson Browne
"Borderline" by Thin Lizzy
"Little Jeannie" by Elton John
"100 Years" by Five for Fighting

I took a long look at why I joined the site to begin with. My MAIN goal when I started was to be able to strum through more songs and maybe learn to sing while playing. Along the way, I started to add more and more goals and I was inspired by so many of you guys and gals. I really wandered off track and got overwhelmed.... ;) I have taken a step back and concentrated on expanding my song book. That has been very fun for me. I have had to expand to three 3" binders of songs now. More than I had originally anticipated. I am also trying to figure out the whole recording process and which mics to use for what. Starting to get a better grip on that as well. I hope to get a bit more brave about posting this upcoming year as well. I like Dennis' advice about doing what makes you nervous until it no longer makes you nervous. I really cannot imagine a safer place to post than here at TG.... B) Now, if I can only get the soundroom I asked Santa for, then it will make recording much easier.... :laugh: Trying to find 5 quiet minutes in my house these days is proving a most difficult task!!!!

MJ

dennisg

Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:42 pm

I think I'm in a different state of mind than most other people, in that I'm not working on anything new, and instead just trying to polish some older things that I can take to an open mic night.

jayswett

Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:49 pm

dennisg wrote:
I think I'm in a different state of mind than most other people, in that I'm not working on anything new, and instead just trying to polish some older things that I can take to an open mic night.
Those open mic nights are alot of fun. No question. I agree that they tend to shape what one wants to practice as they consistently encourage learning things that can be played at the open mic venue.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic