Twang! Just bust a string!

Chasplaya

Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:58 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
I just thought Chris, is this you in the paper clipping by any chance?
Tom N.
You mean you didn't read The Hunt's Post sport section in 1974 when it came out originally! Tom, you missed everything! ;-).
Man I could fly through the air like Ray Clemence in those days ;-).
Ray didn't always fly!!! They call this a Nutmeg!

cosmicmechanic

Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:45 pm

Hi Tom, hopefully things are going your way ...
Just thought I'd mention that a former Olympic athlete told me that she achieved a stunning comeback because she practiced visualization techniques during her convalescence from a physical injury. She was a "race walker", and so actually did her whole training mentally, in real time, while bedridden. It was a complete surprise to all when she managed to quickly return to top form in a very short time. Applying this to guitar, who knows, it may even be possible to advance technically in some ways (hope springs eternal) ...

But methinks I'm stomping on Chris's territory here ...

Oh, since it's your right arm that's affected, can you practice fretting ? (I never thought I'd advise an injured person to fret) :huh:

All the best,
Pierre

tombo1230

Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:02 am

Ah Chas, Kenny Dalglish, national treasure! Those were the days when we used to produce world class players.

I haven't met Kenny, but Joe Jordan who was also in the video I have met, very nice guy. :cheer:

Tom N.

tombo1230

Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:12 am

cosmicmechanic wrote:
Hi Tom, hopefully things are going your way ...
Just thought I'd mention that a former Olympic athlete told me that she achieved a stunning comeback because she practiced visualization techniques during her convalescence from a physical injury. She was a "race walker", and so actually did her whole training mentally, in real time, while bedridden. It was a complete surprise to all when she managed to quickly return to top form in a very short time. Applying this to guitar, who knows, it may even be possible to advance technically in some ways (hope springs eternal) ...

But methinks I'm stomping on Chris's territory here ...

Oh, since it's your right arm that's affected, can you practice fretting ? (I never thought I'd advise an injured person to fret) :huh:

All the best,
Pierre
Pierre, I have used the visualizasion technique in the past, it is a way of planting an idea into the subconscience and your subconscience only knows positive or negative, so if you tell yourself or continually visualize something happening it does. This is a technique used by athletes and high achievers. Good stuff!

It's funny, I was sitting thinking yesterday that I could learn songs by learning the fretting movements physically and the right hand mentally, so we are on the same wavelength on that one.

I like your thinking, this really strikes a chord with me. (pun definately intended) :laugh: :laugh:

This might be my last post until I get out of hospital, going there in three quartes of an hour.

Cheers all,
and many thanks!

Tom N.

neverfoundthetime

Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:24 am

@Chas: you bar steward! Digging up the only clip on record of Clemence dropping a clanger :-). At least it was King Kenny scoring (Liverpool team mates). Probably the only way Scotland could score in those days anyway! Bwuhahahaha!
Just to balance things out, there's a clip of a few saves from Clem below. He was my hero. There a few vids on YT showing goalie clangers and all the greats dropped one or two big ones, for sure. Except the great Gordon Banks, as far as I remember. Me drop a clanger? Hmmm, er, can't remember....;-).

@ Pierre: You are spot on Pierre. Visualising a movement actually activates the same parts of the brain used to make the movement physically and in total activates more of the brain than the actual act itself. I have an injured Ice-Hockey player from the U18 national team in recovery at the moment and he's visualising his training in real time mentally.

Tom, get your plane right on time..... and good luck!

And here's a few nice saves against Scotland too (same game?):

neverfoundthetime

Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:53 am

...and from the sublime to the ridiculous:

willem

Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:59 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
...and from the sublime to the ridiculous:

damn luck,,but beautiful..

tombo1230

Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:37 am

Actually good timing, this guy and other goalies can do this with the right conditions Willem. This goalie did this in training a lot I heard.

Oh and yes I'm back. Had my surgery to reattach the bicep yesterday, all went welll. Just starting the long recovery journey now. My arm is in a sling/plaster, pain not too bad. I might be able to finger pick a little in a few days time, but definately won't strum for a good long while. :)

Tom N.

thereshopeyet

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:59 am

Thanks

neverfoundthetime

Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:06 am

Good news Tom! Now just leave the guitar alone for a week or more... practice your harmonica or something... no cheating!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic