Various ramblings from a mind in Holiday mode........

MarkM

Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:44 pm

I can't believe it's almost Chirstmas. Where did the time go? I feel like I just moved down here yesterday (GA) and we were in the middle of summer. Oh well. So this time of year, right after Thanksgiving, it's tough to get the mind to focus on work. Various thoughts jump into the brain and rattle around a bit. So as I have an hour to kill before my next conference call I figured I'd tickle the keyboard for a bit and get some of this mind clutter out.

I had been in a rut playing wise for a few weeks. Just didn't know what to try and learn next. Everytime I picked up a guitar I just sat there and noodled or went over older songs that I've learned. It just seems that I have plateaued and wasn't progressing any more. Frustrating. Looking back at this year I am happy that I finally decided to learn fingerstyle. Having no experience at this as I was just a happy strummer I'm fairly pleased at the progress I've made. My mind and fingers finally grasped the basic Travis picking. Unfortunately that is where I'm stuck. The long goal is to be able to play more elaborate songs where I don't need to follow a pattern. I know with enough practice and patience I may get there someday. However I need that quick feeling of accomplishment. Doesn't that suck........ Anyway about a week ago I was listening to the radio and the Beatles Blackbird came on. What a great song. It doesn't matter how many times you hear it. It never gets old. So I decided to give it another go and watched Neils lesson again. It had been about a year since I last tried it and at the time I just couldn't get it to work so I was predisposed to the same results this time. To my surprise after about a day I had it down. Now it's only the "Travis picking" version and not the full McCartney pick/strum thing but I was pretty happy with the results. So somewhere over this past year my fingers must have learned something. Who knew????? Got the whole to tapping thing down as well. Now to just be able to sing and play this at the same time. Now back to trying to learn those more difficult songs.

Jack Van Breen. Geez who doesn't love watching this guy??? I need another fix. Jack is just so entertaining to watch. I can't get enough of his videos on this site. Whoever thought of adding him to TG deserves a big pat on the back. This got me to thinking which is always a dangerous thing. I think it would/could be really cool to have a "Jacks Corner" or something that allows TG'ers to ask questions on a forum and that Jack could look at and send in his answers. Obviously he would have to agree and see if he has the time to do this. I'm sure he is busy enough but it sure would be cool if he was willing to do this. Another idea I had that maybe Jack could give is .02 cents worth is on recording set ups. I don't believe he has covered this before. Meaning how does he record. What DAW's (Digital Audio Workstations/apps), interfaces, mics, process, etc does he use for the home recorder. That would be a very interesting topic and to see him go over it would make that much more fun.

Sell/trade/swap section of the forum. Not that I've checked but I don't believe we have one of these sections on the site. How about a section in the forum that allows its members to put up the gear they want to sell or buy. Trust is always a part of the equation and personally I think the membership on this site is outstanding. Just a thought.

This past year I had the opportunity to meet and play with another 7 members from TG. I'm a pretty lucky guy. The Canadian New Englander weekend was so much fun. I hope we somehow get a chance to do something like that again this year. Not sure they'll let me back in the band now that I'm living in Atlanta........ :)

That brings up another topic that has been discussed from time to time. A TG get together/guitar camp. I know its not for everyone and travel can be difficult. I for one would make every effort to attend if one was put into the calendar. There are so many great people on the site that I would cherish the opportunity to meet and play with them.

What ever happened to the contests around here? I remember back in the early days of TG that we used to have a contest from time to time. That was very enjoyable.

Finally got the "My Favorites" section of the lessons to work. I'm a slow learner.

Had a G.A.S. attack a few weeks ago and rectified the problem.

Been getting the "legal" attorney emails from YouTube lately so I guess I'm slowely progressing from suck......

Can you believe it snowed in freaking Georgia yesterday. I couldn't believe my eyes...

The New Englad Patriots are at it again. Can Bill pull another rabbit out of his hat this year???? I like their chances.

Count me as one who is happy the NBA lockout is over. I need something to watch after the Superbowl is over.

Thinking about trying out a new type of guitar strings. Change is good right? Been a Elixir Phosphor Bronze fan for a long time. Anyone using Cleartone Phosphor Bronze or DR Dragon skin strings?

Lastly a thanks again to Neil, Matt and the rest of the TG team that makes this place work so well. The membership seems to be growing as alot of new names and faces appeared on the site this year. Each bringing their own unique flavor to the site. All great additions.

Well looks like my hour is up. Got to go................

MarkM

Chasplaya

Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:23 pm

Great to hear that I'm not the only one who's mind rambles Lol. Some interesting points there Mark, I like the 'Jacks Corner' concept and would make use of that if it were made available.

The TG camp great idea but I'd need to win Lotto first..

Swap/sell/trade hmm good idea but I guess TG would accept no responsibility for it.

I'd be interested in responses to your string query, lately I've been thinking change also, I use Martin phosphor bronze.

dsmarion

Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:01 pm

Hey Mark,

I enjoyed reading that, thanks for posting. Perhaps we should have a forum category for TG Member Ramblings.

Scott

Chasplaya

Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:27 pm

dsmarion wrote:
Hey Mark,

I enjoyed reading that, thanks for posting. Perhaps we should have a forum category for TG Member Ramblings.

Scott
It was a good read, we actually have our own Blog in the Community section. However, not sure how transparent that is or easy to find

neverfoundthetime

Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:31 pm

...ain't no one been seen in the blogs, groups or chatroom in a looooooooooooooong time!

Man, we need that old Recent Activities List back up in prominent place and that little window we had to make a short status statement that everyone could easily see.....

dennisg

Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:07 pm

Mark,

I think everyone, at one time or another, hits the wall in his or her guitar playing. When that happens, I just try to find something about the activity that I can enjoy -- instead of turning it into a chore. When you're ready to learn something new, you will.

As for strings, depends on which guitar. I'm assuming you're talking about your Taylor 714. Since I bought my 814, I've been trying just about every string there is available, and the one that stands head and shoulders above the others is DR Rare. It's not coated, so it doesn't last as long as Elixers, but -- oh, man! -- the throaty sound you get out of them is just what a typical Taylor needs to enhance the bottom end and midrange.

I haven't used these strings on my new Taylor, mostly because I think the tone is dark enough already.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:20 pm

Great to hear from you Mark and your Trog (thread blog) was good reading. I like the way you re-order your thoughts!
The TG camp just has to happen. I hope that that kicks off in the next 12 months.
The Swap/sell/trade is a great idea... we show what we want to sell and arrange how we ship it when a deal is settled all at our own risk, TG just provides the thread where it happens.

So Georgia is where the snow is at... ain't none in Switzerland as it has not precipitated at all for about 5 weeks now.

Hope you have a warm enough winter but I bet you'll miss those deep Christmas snows.... I won't, I'll be in Ottawa. :-)

Chris

sbutler

Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:36 pm

Mark, for a brief moment, I thought you had invaded my brain and was voicing my thoughts. I've been in the same rut, really enjoy Jack Van Breen, and think that the gear sale/swap thing would be great.

As for the snow, well we here in Alaska have set a record for the month of November. Over 30in in 30 days. And they say we have a monster brewing out in the ocean right now, heading our way. Could be a bigun.

Thanks for helping me/us vent.

Scott

BobR

Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:58 pm

Hi Mark,

Very interesting read. You've got a lot of good thoughts in there. I would also like to meet up again (You're still a Member even if you're in GA now :laugh: )

GO Pats.

Bob

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic