digital recorder vs USB microphone

Catman

Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:45 pm

I agree that an iPhone can perform the functions of a digital recorder, but I think you will find that the microphone on an iPhone will lack the dynamic response, SNR, and clarity to provide anything near the quality you will get with a dedicated digital recorder (any of the ones mentioned before) or a proper USB mike.

I have a Zoom 4Hn, but I haven't really started using it yet.

dennisg

Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:00 pm

I've been pretty unhappy with my recording setup, so I just tried an experiment that seemed to yield good results. I've got an inexpensive 4-channel mixer (about $75) into which I plug in mics and my guitar. From the output, I go to my iPad, which records video as well as audio. You might get better audio quality with a dedicated digital recorder, but if you've already got an iPhone or an iPad, this is something to consider.

Hydroman52

Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:43 pm

Erik,

I vote for the digital recorder. Here’s why . . . .

I was at a party a couple of weeks ago and met a guy that was reviving his guitar playing skills. In fact, he had stopped into the party on his way back from a gig. When we figured out that we had this common interest, he went out to his car and brought in a Tascam DR-07MKII. He had just gotten it and had recorded his performance that afternoon. I listened through a cheap pair of headphones that he had and it didn’t sound bad at all. After playing around with it for five minutes, I knew that I was going to get one.

The next day, I started shopping around and found a Tascam DR-40 on an Amazon.com “lightning round” for $150.00 US and snapped it up. It’s a little bigger and heavier than the DR-07MKII (DR-07MKII = Dimensions: 2.2” W x 5.5” H x 1” D 55mm x 141mm x 26mm Weight: 4.4 oz 125g without batteries / DR-40 = Dimensions: 2.75” W x 6.1” H x 1.4” D 70mm ×155mm ×35mm Weight: 7.6 oz 216g without batteries), but it has many more features such as two TRS/XLR inputs (with phantom power for condenser microphones - Ya-Hoo!) as well as the onboard microphones. I can plug directly into the mixing board and still use the onboard mics to pick up the room ambiance in 4-track recording mode. One other thing that I like about the DR-40 over a number of other recorders is that the threaded tripod socket mount is metal rather than plastic. Many reviews that I read on the ones with the plastic indicated that they tended strip out. Since I primarily mount it on top of my camera with a hot shoe adapter or on a side boom, this was very important to me. Of course, you can always use duct tape to secure or just set it on a table, chair, floor, etc.

TASCAM on music stand side boom

TASCAM on music stand side boom - a little closer

TASCAM on music stand side boom - even closer, yet

TASCAM on camera

What’s nice about the recorder is that you can do all that fancy-schmancy over-dubbing, looping, etc., but, in its simplest form, you can press the power button to turn it on, press the record button to set record levels, and then press the record button again to do simple recording. And that is exactly what I did at our practice session last Wednesday. It’s great for songwriting, too. When you get an idea, in a few seconds, you can be putting it down on a recording.

I have lugged around my laptop with mics and adapters and that is a royal pain compared to the compactness and simplicity of this little digital recorder. The DR-40 actually fits in my top shirt pocket, although it is a bit large for that and would probably fall out easily. The sound quality is as good as what I got from the laptop and much cheaper to replace if broken.

One final note . . . I need to thank you for starting this thread, because in going to the Tascam site to research the specs on the recorders, I learned that there is a Holiday rebate that I can use to get $15.00 back on my purchase (I’m soooooo happy). So, anyone who has bought or buys certain Tascam devices between 11/15/11 and 12/31/11 should check this out:

Get TASCAM rebate form here

I can’t really say that I have much experience with these things and you may find something better for your needs in a Zoom, Boss, Sony, or any of the other recorders. They don’t replace a recording studio or big expensive pro equipment, but for something this portable, they are very handy with surprising quality and ease of use.

Hope this helps,
Hydroman52

songman52

Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:15 pm

Thanks to all who have posted here. I've been considering a recorder as well, and this is good information. I'll bet many other members are reading or will read this thread, so thanks to those of you with expertise and experience for posting here. I'd appreciate any other members' thoughts.

Jerry

kep67

Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:29 pm

Thanks for the replies.
I have been looking now at the Tascam DP-008, 8 track digital recorder.She may get a kick out of this, would allow her to record her voice and then add her guitar playing or maybe her brother on piano.
since I have no experience in this (recording or making music), I'm just taking a shot
she has just recently told me she's going to enter a teen music contest - write you own song type contest
the 8 track should allow her to learn how it's done right??
I may even have to give it a try, although I dont seem to have much spare time and even less patience.

Erik :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic