Calling Tech Wizards...Would it be possible to actually put together a TG mix CD?

lueders

Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:47 pm

Calling Tech Wizards...Would it be possible to actually put together a TG mix CD?

I was thinking that we have so much quality collaboration & other miscellaneous performance material... that I would love to be able to make/have bunches of these varied performances put on a single CD. (or a box set would be more like it.) Is such a thing even possible? Are there legal ramifications? i.e. licensing issues) Is it legit if we aren't profiting off the songs? Or if covering the song for educational purposes, do we have rights to them? If profitting is a go...could we kick the profits back into TG or give the proceeds to Matt B. or some worthwhile charity? Can such a thing, even be done? Would it be too much of a logistical nightmare? Am I completely nuts? Okay, don't answer that last one? LOL! :laugh: :laugh:

Anyways, there are so many performances that I would just love to have captured on a CD...thanks for listening. Just a thought....

Cori

willem

Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:18 pm

lueders wrote:

I was thinking that we have so much quality collaboration & other miscellaneous performance material... that I would love to be able to make/have bunches of these varied performances put on a single CD. (or a box set would be more like it.) Is such a thing even possible? Are there legal ramifications? i.e. licensing issues) Is it legit if we aren't profiting off the songs? Or if covering the song for educational purposes, do we have rights to them? If profitting is a go...could we kick the profits back into TG or give the proceeds to Matt B. or some worthwhile charity? Can such a thing, even be done? Would it be too much of a logistical nightmare? Am I completely nuts? Okay, don't answer that last one? LOL! :laugh: :laugh:

Anyways, there are so many performances that I would just love to have captured on a CD...thanks for listening. Just a thought....

Cori

I begin to answer the last one ...your not nuts....but maybe it must be a DVD..or an YT channel with the one's you like..

tombo1230

Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:30 pm

lueders wrote:

Cori
Hi Cori,
when you are talking about cd then I'm thinking that you mean audio only? If so then you would have to strip the audio off the videos on UTube and put them onto a cd. You might get 12 trks on a cd if you are lucky, it just depends on the size and quality of each file, more if you drop quality. Your other option would be to get the original recording or final mixes from whoever recorded it on TG. Get your trks together and burn to cd, or in fact DVD.

If you actually mean video and sound then your talking about DVD'S and you again rip them from UTube and put together a DVD. The other option would be just like the cd's, you get the original from TG person who originated it if still available and make a DVD of these with menus etc. Anyway you look at it there is a fair bit of work involved and how many do you do and how do you choose which ones? I'm not saying it is impossible because it's not, it is of course do-able. The trouble might of course be that no two people would want the same thing on cd or DVD so they would have to be customised, again adding to the work and not very practical. Sorry if this sounds negative, what I am saying is there's more than one way to do this and it can take up a lot of time.

I don't really think you will encounter legal problems unless you are showing this stuff in public or making it to sell, as a general rule.

Hope this helps answer your questions.

Tom N.

p.s. Willems idea of having them as you fav's on UTube is an easier solution, but you don't get a hard copy.

lueders

Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:48 pm

Fellas, thanks a lot. Willem thanks for saying I'm not totally nuts...you probably just don't know me well enough yet! :silly:
And Willem your favs on youtube idea might be a consolation type solution. I really thought a CD with some TG
inspired cover art might be kinda cool. (But maybe going overbaoard...I've been known to do that.
LOL!):laugh:

Tom- thanks a lot for all your ideas there, man. That helps for sure. I know what you're saying about the
customizing dilemma that could be created...in terms of who wants what, and the man hours it would take to put
these things together. (i.e a logistical nightmare, perhaps?) And I certainly don't thing you're being negative.
You're just being realistic/practical...which I appreciate. You've given me a lot to think about! Thank you for
your help, Sir!! :) :)

tombo1230

Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:54 pm

lueders wrote:
Fellas, thanks a lot. Willem thanks for saying I'm not totally nuts...you probably just don't know me well enough yet! :silly:
And Willem your favs on youtube idea might be a consolation type solution. I really thought a CD with some TG
inspired cover art might be kinda cool. (But maybe going overbaoard...I've been known to do that.
LOL!):laugh:

Tom- thanks a lot for all your ideas there, man. That helps for sure. I know what you're saying about the
customizing dilemma that could be created...in terms of who wants what, and the man hours it would take to put
these things together. (i.e a logistical nightmare, perhaps?) And I certainly don't thing you're being negative.
You're just being realistic/practical...which I appreciate. You've given me a lot to think about! Thank you for
your help, Sir!! :) :)
Anytime. :)

Tom N.

neverfoundthetime

Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:11 pm

You rip one of my videos and I'll sue your ass Cory!

... or maybe not :woohoo:

daryl

Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:38 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:

Just negotiate for royalties. Jeesh. ;)

lueders

Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:03 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:

Lmao!!!! :laugh: :laugh: Have you seen my financial portfolio , Chris? I don' t know what is funnier your comment or the fact that it would be futile to sue me!!! We could discuss royalties( like Daryl suggests) but once again I don't have much to bargain with... :)

Chasplaya

Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:49 pm

daryl wrote:
neverfoundthetime wrote:

Just negotiate for royalties. Jeesh. ;)
First you gotta sell Chris's videos, rumour has it a Swiss/Pomme was saving up to buy the entire release of a certain CD :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

lueders

Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:35 pm

Found a way to get the job done!! Suzi hooked me up with a simple enough way even I can handle it...(free online site that changes url video addresses into mp3s) It works pretty darn good! man am gonna have to buy a lot more CDs.
Good Lord, I forgot we had all this stuff!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic