Calling Tech Wizards...Would it be possible to actually put together a TG mix CD?

sws626

Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:20 am

Cori,
I can't speak to the copyright issues, but there's no serious technical issues. I think a video compilation would be more interesting. But, as Willem suggests, selection process poses a bigger problem and something like a Youtube channel would be more flexible for those videos that have already been uploaded. Another option would be to ask for volunteers to cut new contributions. Then you could also ask for higher quality audio than you could rip from Youtube.

willem

Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:34 am

just an example,,,but i don't know if the audio is betterwhen we film on 1080p,,recording also with an digital recorder will give better audio..

suziko

Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:00 am

Glad that is working out for you, Cori! I actually found out about the site here, through Chris. It's really nice and I've used it a bunch of times to create mp3s of some of my favorite YT clips.

Suzi

neverfoundthetime

Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:15 am

Good luck with it Cory! there's lots of good stuff on YT and sharing is what it's all about.
I still can't work out how YT decide what's kosher and what's not and I have even had a couple of my videos flagged for copyright.
I have two versions of The Reach up, virtually identical but one has the guitar doubled up. That version has been flagged the other not. But nothings been removed. I don't get it, there are so many sites with fantastic cover versions how can making a cover ever be a problem if you are not selling the stuff?

tombo1230

Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:40 am

lueders wrote:
Found a way to get the job done!! Suzi hooked me up with a simple enough way even I can handle it...(free online site that changes url video addresses into mp3s) It works pretty darn good! man am gonna have to buy a lot more CDs.
Good Lord, I forgot we had all this stuff!!
Great Cori,
MP3 is a compressed format so you are losing quality a bit, but if your ears are happy then you will be able to get more on a disc. Glad it worked out for you. Somebody always knows something you don't know. Your site must rip the sound basically. Song surgeon or video surgeon, one of those pieces of software have a thing called a sniffer that does the same or similar, from what I remember. Must take a look myself. :) I'm glad you can do it yourself, you will have more fun, probably hours of more fun, :) but I'm sure you will enjoy doing it. See you in a few weeks lol! :laugh: :laugh:

Tom N.

willem

Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:59 am

I plug in my digital recorder and hit the record button,,then convert it to an Mp3,,very handy for recording Neil and slow him a bit down which I can do with the recorder..

I believe there are also programs where you can put in the mp3 and then gives you the notes on the fretboard..

boldent

Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:41 am

Willem,

If your filming at 1080P then your audio will most likely be at Dolbly Digital, Dolby Digital Plus and PCM with 5.1 / 7.1 surround sound. Honestly, it depends on the cost of the camera as to what type of audio its capable of handling. The Dolbly Digital and Dolby Digital Plus formats normally start at 256k and higher bandwidths to keep its full dynamite range (by dynamite range I mean it will not lose any of its lows and high frequencies during the compression process).PCR is uncompressed audio, it maintains its full dynamite range. But, there's more to that story if anyone is interested in hearing about it. Also please note, no matter how you capture the audio or video from youtube you will never be able to improve the audio or video quality without editing or dubbing in from another source.

The problem with pulling from Youtube is most of the dynamite range from the audio is removed during the compression (down sizing) of the audio/video file. The same goes with the video except it looses color saturation, and the framing is created by a computer (for those that know video I'm speaking of the B and P and not the I frames). When an audio or video file/stream is down sized (compressed) something has to be removed to make the file smaller. With audio the frequencies are sampled then some of the high and low frequencies are removed. With video its the still, non moving content within the frames and the color hues that are removed. A good way to tell a video is over compressed is to look at the face of the person on the screen and you'll see a smearing-blurry look when they move. With audio, you'll notice the bass seems to not be there. In other words, when you're listening to music on youtube, notice how the bass and trebles are close together. The smaller the file size the closer the bass and trebles are to each other. The song becomes almost at the same even tone if over compressed, no dynamite range. If any of you have ever listen to satellite radio you'll know what I mean.

A touch on compression:
When audio or video is pulled from a camera, cd or DVD and stored on to your computer, it gets compressed. If it is then uploaded to youtube, it gets compressed a second time. If the youtube video is downloaded to your computer and resized, it gets compressed a third time. If you then burn it to cd or DVD it gets compressed a fourth time. With each compression more and more a/v information gets thrown out, what was once a decent sounding/looking product is now not usable, imho. But, I work in audio and video so I'm a little more unforgiving when it comes to mpeg.

One thing to know is, you can not recover the lost quality, once its removed its gone for good.

tombo1230

Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:56 am

boldent wrote:
Willem,

If your filming at 1080P then your audio will most likely be at Dolbly Digital, Dolby Digital Plus and PCM with 5.1 / 7.1 surround sound. Honestly, it depends on the cost of the camera as to what type of audio its capable of handling. The Dolbly Digital and Dolby Digital Plus formats normally start at 256k and higher bandwidths to keep its full dynamite range (by dynamite range I mean it will not lose any of its lows and high frequencies during the compression process).PCR is uncompressed audio, it maintains its full dynamite range. But, there's more to that story if anyone is interested in hearing about it. Also please note, no matter how you capture the audio or video from youtube you will never be able to improve the audio or video quality without editing or dubbing in from another source.

The problem with pulling from Youtube is most of the dynamite range from the audio is removed during the compression (down sizing) of the audio/video file. The same goes with the video except it looses color saturation, and the framing is created by a computer (for those that know video I'm speaking of the B and P and not the I frames). When an audio or video file/stream is down sized (compressed) something has to be removed to make the file smaller. With audio the frequencies are sampled then some of the high and low frequencies are removed. With video its the still, non moving content within the frames and the color hues that are removed. A good way to tell a video is over compressed is to look at the face of the person on the screen and you'll see a smearing-blurry look when they move. With audio, you'll notice the bass seems to not be there. In other words, when you're listening to music on youtube, notice how the bass and trebles are close together. The smaller the file size the closer the bass and trebles are to each other. The song becomes almost at the same even tone if over compressed, no dynamite range. If any of you have ever listen to satellite radio you'll know what I mean.

A touch on compression:
When audio or video is pulled from a camera, cd or DVD and stored on to your computer, it gets compressed. If it is then uploaded to youtube, it gets compressed a second time. If the youtube video is downloaded to your computer and resized, it gets compressed a third time. If you then burn it to cd or DVD it gets compressed a fourth time. With each compression more and more a/v information gets thrown out, what was once a decent sounding/looking product is now not usable, imho. But, I work in audio and video so I'm a little more unforgiving when it comes to mpeg.

One thing to know is, you can not recover the lost quality, once its removed its gone for good.
I think you make a typo here. You are discussing dynamic range but calling it dynamite. :huh: :)

Tom N.

boldent

Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:25 am

You are correct.

Thanks Tom N.

willem

Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:49 am

boldent wrote:
Willem,

A touch on compression:

Thank you BOLDENT,,its all clear to me,, i had a litlle laugh on Toms notice the typo,,,i must confess that i re(a)d dynamic...,,its a pity all the compressing

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic