Tapping the Guitar

dsmarion

Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:43 pm

Anyone happen to catch this girl's unusual technique on CNN this weekend?

http://newsroom.blogs.cnn.com/2011/12/2 ... =allsearch

Scott

tombo1230

Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:58 pm

dsmarion wrote:
Anyone happen to catch this girl's unusual technique on CNN this weekend?

http://newsroom.blogs.cnn.com/2011/12/2 ... =allsearch

Scott

Unorthodox to say the least, but highly inventive. Taking percussion on the guitar to a different place, very talented me thinks! :)
thanks for posting.

Tom N.

wrench

Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:18 pm

If I remember right, Michael Hedges started the tapping technique in the early 80's. Many of the Candyrat musicians have adopted the style, and there are a few who tap exclusively. Eric Mongrain and Stanley Jordan come to mind.

AndyT

Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:24 pm

Reminds me of August Rush. Good movie. Also reminds me of Andy McKee. He has a cool tune called 'Drifting' I think.

dsmarion

Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:30 pm

wrench wrote:
If I remember right, Michael Hedges started the tapping technique in the early 80's. Many of the Candyrat musicians have adopted the style, and there are a few who tap exclusively. Eric Mongrain and Stanley Jordan come to mind.
Oh yeah, Stanley Jordan. He is unbelievable! As I recall he said he got his technique by basically playing piano on the fretboard. Where Kakki was a drummer and came in from that direction. Same kind of thing but definitely different techniques.

Scott

willem

Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:04 am

I believe they discovered her on YT,I saw her on the Dutch telly two years ago...

wrench

Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:07 am

AndyT wrote:
Reminds me of August Rush. Good movie. Also reminds me of Andy McKee. He has a cool tune called 'Drifting' I think.
Ah, yeah. Andy McKee. I think McKee's influence (and maybe Don Ross) paved the way for so many of the Candyrat artists to tap. I think it was actually Don Ross who taught Andy McKee to tap, but McKee certainly is the one who took the torch from Michael Hedges in the new age genre. Stanley Jordan always tapped, all the way back to the Michael Hedges days, but he was more jazz oriented, and only reached a limited market.

Good pickup on August Rush. From Wikipedia, "Except for "Dueling Guitars", all of August's guitar pieces were played by American guitarist-composer Kaki King. Kings hands are used in close-ups for August Rush."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic