Calling all iPad junkies: Poll and recommendations for e-sheet music library storage applications?

michelew

Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:05 pm

Hi all,

I have a squillion sheet music files in PDF form. When I'm looking for something on my iMac I can use the search function and find it fairly easily. But, for some reason that doesn't work so well on the iPad.

I've got a few PDF and specifically sheet music applications for my iPad, but they also don't really allow searching of titles and such.

I'm looking for something that allows me to search easily, set up lists of the things I'm refreshing, learning, etc and basically store and access music related stuff easily. I'm interested to know whether any of you use an application to store and access your sheet music and whether you would recommend it.

I have a new application called set list maker that is a data base essentially and may be good, but it will take a fair amount of work to get it set up properly and for full benefits. Before I do that I'm interested to learn from the experience of anyone on this site that uses an iPad for their music library.

So my questions to you are:

What do you use?
What does it do?
How easy is it to use?
Would you recommend it?

WOW that's a long list. Really I'm just interested in whether you'd recommend any.

I've included a poll to get an idea of how many iPad users we have on the forum.

Thanks

Michele

michelew

Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:54 am

Well I'm sure some of you are thinking 'Doesn't she know how to use goggle?'

Well here is a link to an article that compares these sorts of applications. Many of them are for gigging musos.

http://appadvice.com/appguides/show/She ... s-For-iPad

The top runners appear to be:

- forScore
- DeepDish gig book
- UnREalBook
- Music Reader for iPad

I haven't used any of them. I'd be interested in any experience that you all have.

Ta

M.

daryl

Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:44 am

What's an iPad? ;)

willem

Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:55 am

daryl wrote:
What's an iPad? ;)

I think it is something from Apple. ;) ;) or 'm I grey??

michelew

Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:00 am

Ahhh... The word Luddites comes to mind. :).

OK I'll just sit her and discuss applications with myself. :)

:)

willem

Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:22 am

I bought me a simple android tablet ''Yarvik'' ,,and I could'nt download apps from the andriod market ,damn,, I could download apps on a other place but was not satisfying at all,,

I search for apps to store music tab etc but could'nt find it yet,,,now my wife play's ''angry bird'' on it..

Not so grey,,,

Willem

dsmarion

Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:31 am

I have a Kindle Fire - no iPad sorry. We do have a couple iPads at work because we have a few sites for clients that need to support them. I am not involved with those projects though. And no one at work is a musician so I am sure they wouldn't have any recommendations for you. I know, not a lot of help am I :huh: :huh:

Scott

Hydroman52

Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:47 am

Hi Michelle,

I’m one of those who don’t have an iPad and have registered a “No” vote in your pole, however, I will be watching your thread closely. Andy started a thread on an Android tablet that he bought and was using an app that he pointed to here:

Guitar music app for Apple, Android, Kindle . . . .

It looks like they have recently released an Apple app, too. You might want to add it to your list to check out. I'm sure that Andy will chime in soon.

This subject has been on my mind for quite some time. The only Apple device that I own is an iPod. For a phone, I have an Android (none of my Android guitar apps can hold a candle to the Apple app Guitar Toolkit).

I would like to have some kind of tablet (Apple, Android, etc.) that will handle all my music and notes in .pdf (preferred). For handwritten notes (drum track maps, harmony notes, odd chords, tunings, tempos, harmonica keys, etc.), I can scan those in and convert to .pdf. It would be nice to keep the big, bulky three-ring binder in the gear bag only to be used for a back-up. I would buy a tablet type device specifically for organizing my music stuff even if it didn’t do anything else.

So, don’t take all the “No” votes as a disappointment. I’m sure that there are others that share my interest in this thread. My time horizon on a purchase would be sometime before the end of February and I am undecided on the type (Apple, Android, etc.). Please pass on your knowledge as you find out more!

For now, I remain in the weeds watching and cheering you on,

Hydroman52

Music Junkie

Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:15 am

Shel:

I have an IPad and have been looking around for a bit now. I currently have the guitar pro app, but it is really only for GP files that I find on the web, or make myself in my GP6 program on the laptop. I have an overabundance of other file types that I would love to get organized into something neater. The only thing I know of at this point is an app that can only be used if you "jailbreak" your IPad, and I don't like doing that. It was on the Cydia website and looked pretty neat. Sorry that I don't remember the name..... age and all...... :P

MJ

jimcjimc

Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:07 am

I haven't used it personally, but on another forum, people have recommended an Ipad app called OnSong.

I have an HP Touchpad and have put some guitar and uke charts as pdf files, but the Touchpad doesn't have as many apps as the the Ipad :(

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic