Calling all iPad junkies: Poll and recommendations for e-sheet music library storage applications?

Max

Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:27 am

I have been using the iPad for music for about 2 years, and my favorite guitar tab app is TabToolKit.

You can download Tabs or GuitarPro files from your Mac or the web.
It will file them by song title or artist, and you can make a "Favorites List" to quickly get at a play list, or what your working on currently

Max

2648wgb

Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:47 am

For pdf song sheets I use the unRealBook app. Fast and efficient. It also has synching capabilities so all members of my band have iPads mounted on mic stands and one person changes the song and it changes for everybody. I used to use forScore which is good but unrealBook is better.

If your into jazz and real book type stuff iGigbook is good but you have to find the real book pdf's yourself.

iRealB is a great app. Has chord changes for 1200 jazz standards and will generate a jazz combo to accompany you while you practice soloing.

redpick

Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:06 pm

This is fascinating and so helpful. Looking at the links for TAPP etc. this is EXACTLY the kind of direction I want to move in with my ( ringbinder ) songsheets in TAB format, to use at weekly guitar meets and take abroad. It's a minefield to a non techie like me and you guys are doing all the groundwork. Thanks. I use Apple and it would make sense for me to add to my laptop and iPod. Seems like I should hold off for the moment given Flash etc. But I can't wait too long, I love to try new things. Keep it going 'til we get to the definitive answer please. This is so good....:)

Chasplaya

Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:57 pm

Great thread Michele,

Not only has it drawn out a couple of virtually unheard of members already, but the info is coming through, even though we tend to get a bit of the Apple vs IPad thingy!

I don't have an IPad, but Android phone and Tablet. I like the Android for Adobe reader as I can use the PDF Auto Scroll function and not have to bother changing pages when playing. Currently I don't have sufficient quantities of files to worry about sorting yet so anything that comes up will be of interest.

AndyT

Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:32 am

Yep. I got an Android tablet and after trying out the different apps I could find for music, I discovered GuitarTapp.
I really like it. It organizes all my favorites a couple of different ways, (by band, title...) and it has an autoscroll
function that keeps me from turning pages. It also ties into Ultimate Guitar's database of tabs. So, it's an exceptionally useful
gadget to have. Now I just need to get a new tablet since mine met an unfortunate and very untimely death.

Anyone else have a Dog that thinks he can read?

And GuitarTapp uses text files, not PDFs. All you need is an editor and you can create your own and add them in.

AndyT

Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:35 am

Oh, and the Apple vs Android or Windows or whatever discussion?
I prefer Linux. But I don't see any Linux tablets on the market yet.
(Yes, Android is based on Linux, but it's not open source)

dsmarion

Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:39 am

AndyT wrote:

(Yes, Android is based on Linux, but it's not open source)
Android is open source : http://source.android.com/

Scott

michelew

Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:51 pm

2648wgb wrote:
For pdf song sheets I use the unRealBook app. Fast and efficient. It also has synching capabilities so all members of my band have iPads mounted on mic stands and one person changes the song and it changes for everybody. I used to use forScore which is good but unrealBook is better.

If your into jazz and real book type stuff iGigbook is good but you have to find the real book pdf's yourself.

iRealB is a great app. Has chord changes for 1200 jazz standards and will generate a jazz combo to accompany you while you practice soloing.

Thanks so much for the info ....aaahhhh 2648wgb ... (OK I need a name, that just feels TOO impersonal). Would you mind elaborating a little on why you think UnRealBook is better than forScore? I'm really only going to use it for personal practice and playing. I'm not even playing with other people at the moment (which I hope to rectify), yet alone actually performing. Still if unRealBook has some other good features then I'd be better off learning it now rather than forScore.

I'd love to know more about you; your music experience, taste and more about you of course. If you haven't done so already, I recommend you start a new thread in the introductions category. I see this isn't your first post, so perhaps you've already done that and I missed it.

Thanks for the info.

Michele

michelew

Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:01 pm

redpick wrote:
This is fascinating and so helpful. Looking at the links for TAPP etc. this is EXACTLY the kind of direction I want to move in with my ( ringbinder ) songsheets in TAB format, to use at weekly guitar meets and take abroad. It's a minefield to a non techie like me and you guys are doing all the groundwork. Thanks. I use Apple and it would make sense for me to add to my laptop and iPod. Seems like I should hold off for the moment given Flash etc. But I can't wait too long, I love to try new things. Keep it going 'til we get to the definitive answer please. This is so good....:)
Redpick,

I'm really glad you're finding this thread interesting. I have to say though that there is unlikely to BE a definitive answer. unRealBook looks like the front-runner, but the best one for you will depend on your needs, as these things generally do.

See Scott's comments about flash. Unless you visit sites that use a lot of flash videos (etc.), I doubt very much that the lack of flash will be a problem for you. My recommendation is to go to an Apple store and then using one of their demo iPads visit the sites that you normally would and see how it works for you. My guess is that it really won't hold you back. But, if you're interested take the test and talk to the staff and/or people you know who have one.

Actually to all you Android table users, I'd be interested to know just how often you are needing flash functionality. My understanding is that lots of sites that previously used flash are being redesigned or have been already (I imagine that the iPad is just on of the reasons for this).

I don't believe I've seen an introduction from you either Redpick, so why don't you start a new intro thread and tell us a bit about yourself.

have fun.

Michele

michelew

Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:03 pm

Max wrote:
I have been using the iPad for music for about 2 years, and my favorite guitar tab app is TabToolKit.

You can download Tabs or GuitarPro files from your Mac or the web.
It will file them by song title or artist, and you can make a "Favorites List" to quickly get at a play list, or what your working on currently

Max

Thanks Max,

I've resisted buying TabToolKit, as I already have various apps that covered off on most of it. But, it does sound useful.

thanks

Michele

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic