Suppose I dug up a fruit jar...........................

tovo

Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:04 pm

I've been out seeing more of this BIG country and just catching up. This is a good thread, one of the more interesting ones I have seen for a while.

I've always been a guy to go expensive. I always lived by the adage that you get what you pay for. I am fortunate that I have that flexibility. My Taylor cost well in excess of the budget you are thinking of, which would be even more in your terms now that the Australian dollar is stronger than the greenback. I love my Taylor and although I don't do it complete justice, the quality of the guitar motivates me to try. My Taylor T3 is similar, perfect build quality and a beautiful looking guitar. The fact I picked it up from a good mate makes it a little more special also.

But...for the first time in my life I was able to recently buy less than the top of the range and be very satisfied. I am a big fan of the Gretsch hollowbodys and started to do a heap of research by playing. I was fully expecting to choose the top end. Instead, I simply could not discern much difference between the "bottom end" (5120) and the 61 signature series. Hell, the guitars aren't even made in the USA anymore (a shame given Gretsch is an iconic US company) but in Japan and Korea. Regardless, they play great. So I bought the 5120 and put it straight into the shop to have TV Jones Classic pickups fitted. Looking forward to getting her back after my vacation.

So the moral of my longwinded story is...buy the one that speaks to you. If that one is 10 grand and you can afford to buy it then you are lucky. Money just means less restrictions. It doesn't mean you won't find something you love for much less.

Good luck.

tovo

Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:50 pm

How subtle Tony, hope you've had a good time around the country!

tovo wrote:
This is a good thread, one of the more interesting ones I have seen for a while.

willem

Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:07 pm

nesh16041972 wrote:

tovo wrote:
This is a good thread, one of the more interesting ones I have seen for a while.

Yeah Tony,,but i don't think your country is'nt that bad..

tovo

Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:04 pm

nesh16041972 wrote:
I have some strengths Vanessa but subtlety isn't one of them. Such is life.

I'm having a good time, thanks.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic