Suppose I dug up a fruit jar...........................

Max

Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:06 pm

I'm going to repeat what many have already said, "Play as many different guitars as possible".

Buy your guitar from a reputable guitar shop.
I bought my Taylor 912ce used from Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto, California.
They are known for their expertise, and I was very happy with their service and advice.

Also, I would try many different builders, models, shapes, and sizes.
Try an acoustic arch top, (sorry that's just my fantasy for now). Another fantasy is to try a "Composite Acoustics GX" a guitar you can leave out, throw in your car, park in the sun and it's still good to play.
Seriously, check out: Santa Cruz Guitars, James Goodall, Kathy Wingart, Benedetto, Collings Guitars, some of the smaller guitar builders.
If your local guitar shops don't carry all these brands, maybe take a weekend trip to Austin, Texas. (I noticed you live in Oklahoma).

Just remember this is the fun part, explore all the possibilities, listen to the music. Don't let it become a chore or a burden!

Max

willem

Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:09 pm

wiley wrote:
Sam,

I'm not sure exactly what your interest are here. Are you looking for a better sound than the Guild, or are you looking for something that may be a collectors item someday? Or perhaps, both.

To begin, it's a fairly personal choice. And lots of choices to be made. You would be spending time well just going to a music store and playing multiple pieces until you find that special one. Even then, you should go back several times and make sure the piece is right before plunking down $3kus for it.

As a Gibson owner (Starburst Standard 1992 - one of three hundred to ever be built) I will tell you this. Gibson is one of those folks who go by the adage like "Old Wine". The piece needs to age before being really what's intended.

There are pluses of owning an 'upper level' piece. Simply put, the woods and parts are of better quality (supposedly), the craftmanship is of course, better quality (supposedly) and so on. Problem is, this does not always turn out the best guitar for every individual. It may be a fantastic piece for me, but you may hate it! Personally, my Gibby has never needed any neck work done, and still needs no fretwork. It stays in tune regardless of strings longer than any other guitar I own or have owned.

Do a lot of research, and make sure you are getting what you are paying for. Yes, there are fakes (Replicas) and the upper level stuff gets more attention than the lower. Find out exactly when and where the piece was built and the history behind the manufacturer. We can take your Guild for an example. Fender (FMIC - Fender Musical Instrument Corporation) bought Guild in 1995. Without going in depth, sometime in the early 2000's (2005ish) FMIC created the "Guild Acoustic Design" series. These are NOT manufactured in the USA and extremely difficult to tell apart as the headstock logo and bodies look the same as their US built counterparts. NOTE: the GAD series usually has a unique ornamentation about it and is usually adorned with "Hand Crafted in China" on the interior label.

The "GAD" series is manufactured in China and is now a larger selling item than the traditional selling USA built models. Not that is terrible but you may think you are getting an XXXX and in fact, it's not. Even Gibson was purchased in the late 60's and until somewhere around 1986 the name was not what it had been prior. In 1986 Gibson was bought out again, by the current CEO Henry Juszkeiwicz and the President David H. Berryman. So, if your going to look at Gibson, find something either pre 1969 or post 1986.

*NOTE: When Gibson production was moved from Kalamazoo, Mich and moved to Nashville. Few, if in fact any, of the craftsmen made the move and instead started their own line, "Heritage Guitars". The problems with Gibson began due to climate control issues in the new plant and an unskilled labor force. This came to an end when Henry and David purchased Gibson.
Great stuff Wiley,,, even to buy a guitar gives us a big study,,why is the label in the guitar not telling everything right a way??? like ingredients and stuff on food for example..

BigBear

Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:28 am

Coussin Gonflable- You asked a really BIG question!! There will be thousands of opinions on this subject.

My completely non-professional observations: IMHO Gibson acoustic guitars are not in the same league as Martin & Taylor. It isn't even close. I own a Les Paul so I am not anti-Gibson but every Gibson acoustic I ever played felt heavy and sounded dead to me. And I don't like their necks very well. Having said that I do believe that some of the Gibson Jumbo's sound pretty good but are still "clunky". It's almost like they use too much wood if that makes sense. Many famous guitarists like John Denver and Emmylou Harris have long been big Gibson artists. I also owned a couple of Guild's too but their quality fell off the planet when Fender took them over and I haven't played one in years.

If I had $3,000 to spend I'd look at the Taylor 814 (or any 800 series), Martin D-28 (some special version because the D-28 can be had for $2,400. I love the D-41 but I don't think you can get there new for $3,000) or a Larrivee D-10 or L-10. It's no secret that I am a huge Taylor fan so I want you to know that I am biased from the start. But judging from the sheer number of Taylor owners on this site I think many of us have some to the same conclusion!! Fantastic build quality, brilliant bright sound (too bright for some) and the best necks on acoustic guitars (like playing a Stratocaster!) And played by thousands of performing artists which is significant because doesn't sponsor artists. They give performing artists a break on cost but if you want a Taylor you still have to pay for it!!

I also own a beautiful L-10 Larrivee with Englemann top and rosewood that is a wonderful sounding guitar and every bit the equal to the 800 series Taylors and even 900 Taylors. I know this because I own an 855 Taylor also. But it took the Englemann top almost 10 years to finally open up. Beautiful piece of wood but that's just too long. I might also consider Breedlove for that price but despite being made here in Oregon I have never fallen in love with their sound, although they can sure be pretty.

But the American economy is in the toilet so there are literally thousands of great used guitars that can be had for huge discounts. For three grand you could get some really great acoustics plus they will already be "broken in" in most cases. Local shops, Craigslist and even pawn shops often have excellent instruments that you can try out. I wouldn't shy away from a good used guitar. But for $3,000 I'd have a luthier inspect it first.

It's fun to own a brand new guitar. So if you need the rush of a new instrument then you have to go that way. But most guitarists are going for the sound and the cosmetics are a distant second. Find the guitar that plays nice, sounds great and buy it.

Good luck and enjoy the journey! :cheer:

michelew

Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:24 am

Sam's cousin,

For about the same money I have been able to get myself three very nice guitars:

- a steel string - third-hand Larrivee OMV 09 - spruce and rosewood
- a Classical - Hofner HM83 - spruce and aningre
- an acoustic bass - Tanglewood TW155A - spruce and mahogany.

They are all beautiful and sound great.

I started, however, on a Yamaha dreadnought FG 415 SB with a solid spruce top, which cost about $500 and served me very well until I got the Larrivee. My daughter now has it. My Larrivee is a better size and shape for me and sounds more beautiful; richer, more tones.

So definitely look around. Price isn't everything. Instruments are also in general more expensive here in Australia.

Enjoy the journey.

Michele

tombo1230

Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:44 am

Sam, I recently bought a Taylor 814ce. Firstly it just fits if you know what I mean. Sometimes you pick up a guitar and it fits like a glove. This one does.
The tone from it is better than my other acoustics, a Tanglewood and an old Sigma made by Martin, both very good guitars I have to say, but not in the same league to my ears or
in playability. The Taylor 814 is a tobacco sunburst, it just looks like the most beautiful piece of wood I have ever seen. What I suppose I am trying to say is....... you get what you pay for.

Like everyone has said, play a lot of guitars, I did, but just be warned.......Don't pick up a Taylor unless you are prepared to buy it, because you probably will want to. :)

Tom N.

Music Junkie

Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:44 am

tombo1230 wrote:
Sam, I recently bought a Taylor 814ce. Firstly it just fits if you know what I mean. Sometimes you pick up a guitar and it fits like a glove.

Tom N.
Tom:

I missed that purchase if you shared it! Congrats! I bought one a while back as well, and yes, it does "just fit"..... B) Have not regretted that purchase one tiny bit. I love the way it sounds and the way it plays. Bear eluded to the neck of other guitars, and all I can add to that is the VERY smooth neck that the Taylor offers. Huge difference in many brands that I played. Only thing that remains now, is to learn to play it better.... :woohoo:

Cheers, and congrats again!

MJ

MarkM

Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:44 pm

Is it possible that a fingernail will cause a bad sound?

Last night I was playing very slowly. The #2 string sounded awful no mater what chord I was using. I filed the nail smooth and the sound improved 100%! I'm still not happy with the guitar, but I am able to tolerate it.

Frankly, I thought you folks all played on $3,000 + guitars. Maybe you just make them sound like $3,000 guitars. I know buying an expensive instrument won't make me that much better.

Coussin Gonflable........he's my alter ego. Know what it means? It's French. I read it on the visor of our Lexus. Litteraly translated, it means air bag. I've had a ball with it. When there's a wait at the restaurant, I give them the name.

My wife hates me!

:ohmy:

Sam, a.k.a. Coussin Gonflable

willem

Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:36 pm

TwoCatSam wrote:
Is it possible that a fingernail will cause a bad sound?

Last night I was playing very slowly. The #2 string sounded awful no mater what chord I was using. I filed the nail smooth and the sound improved 100%! I'm still not happy with the guitar, but I am able to tolerate it.

Frankly, I thought you folks all played on $3,000 + guitars. Maybe you just make them sound like $3,000 guitars. I know buying an expensive instrument won't make me that much better.

Coussin Gonflable........he's my alter ego. Know what it means? It's French. I read it on the visor of our Lexus. Litteraly translated, it means air bag. I've had a ball with it. When there's a wait at the restaurant, I give them the name.

My wife hates me!

:ohmy:

Sam, a.k.a. Coussin Gonflable

I CUT MY NAILS TO GET AN EGUAL SOUND WITH MY BASS THUMB...ITS JUST EXPERIMENTING

my wife loves me...

wiley

Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:18 pm

Max

Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:37 am

There's a great article in Acoustic Guitar:
http://www.acousticguitar.com/article/d ... leid=27455

It's all about what to look for when buying a guitar.

Max

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic