Suppose I dug up a fruit jar...........................

AcousticAl

Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:29 am

............and I wanted a medium quality guitar.

I am looking exclusively at Gibson after what the government did to them. I am studying the J-45 for about $2400 or so. I am currently practicing on a Guild D-30 and I'm really not happy with the sound. Maybe the wrong strings or something.

Anyway, if you had around $3000 to spend on a guitar, what would you look at? I'm open to Martins and Taylors and others, but I'd like to stay with Gibson. Any suggestions?

Signed: Coussin Gonflable with great thanks to TCS for loaning me his password.

Marcia just needs to know Sam didn't write this. Nope, he did not! He is currently in the shower, thank God!

haoli25

Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:42 am

Sam's Cousin, :P , have you considered a 335? Play as many guitars as you can before you decide to plunk down that 'fruit-jar' money.

Bill

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:08 am

For that kind of money, if you are in the States, try all the Martins, Taylors and Gibsons and you will end up with your perfect guitar, I'm sure!

daryl

Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:35 am

A question for all you responders....

Would you consider buying a used guitar? Why or why not? Do guitars lose their value as soon as you "drive them off the lot" so to speak? Or do "higher end" guitars hold and/or increase their value? I'm not talking about a '40s Martin or anything like that. I'm wondering if one should consider buying a '90s or early 2000s guitar instead of a brand spanking new one....

AndyT

Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:01 am

Nothing wrong with used. Especially if it's in great shape and priced right.

willem

Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:05 am

daryl wrote:
A question for all you responders....

Would you consider buying a used guitar? Why or why not? Do guitars lose their value as soon as you "drive them off the lot" so to speak? Or do "higher end" guitars hold and/or increase their value? I'm not talking about a '40s Martin or anything like that. I'm wondering if one should consider buying a '90s or early 2000s guitar instead of a brand spanking new one....

I see it as buying a second hand car,,so the first thing would be that I not pay more than when it was new...when you go to a guitarshop and try to sell yours against a new one you aslo don't get to much for it...

Willem

ffsooo3

Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:09 am

For that kind of money, I'd buy myself at léast 5 other guitars... :S

ceaser67

Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:32 am

Ness..Do you mean you'd split $3,00 over 5 guitars; 5 $600 guitars?

I am in the States, Oklahoma to be exact, and we have pawn shops hanging full of guitars. I've thought about it. My Grandson bought a Seagull for $200. I think it sold for $500 new.

Not to be too nosey, but most of you Martin and Taylor owners paid well over $2000 for your instrument, no?

Sam
(who's afraid of her anyway?)

haoli25

Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:58 am

Another option you might consider, Sam, is Guitar Shows. There is a Bluegrass Convention, January 13 -15 in Western Hills, OK. There is also a big guitar show next month in Franklin, TN......AND The annual Beale Street Festival in Memphis next month is another good place to find a few bargains.

Bill

willem

Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:00 am

Yep, that's what I mean! :)

And nope I'm not an owner of what I call a fancy guitar. Actually, when i was over at Suzi's place, it was the very very first time in my life that I even held a Martin and a Taylor, that was fun!

Maybe when I turn 50, I guess I really earn one then. In the meanwhile I have quite a few really great guitars! :cheer:

Edit: I actually bought 5 acoustic guitars for less than €2000, you get the point! :P

And of course, do whatever makes you happy! ;)

Ness

TwoCatSam wrote:
Ness..Do you mean you'd split $3,00 over 5 guitars; 5 $600 guitars?

I am in the States, Oklahoma to be exact, and we have pawn shops hanging full of guitars. I've thought about it. My Grandson bought a Seagull for $200. I think it sold for $500 new.

Not to be too nosey, but most of you Martin and Taylor owners paid well over $2000 for your instrument, no?

Sam
(who's afraid of her anyway?)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic