Suppose I dug up a fruit jar...........................

suziko

Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:41 am

I also recommend checking out used (pre-owned) guitars from a reputable dealer. I bought my Martin used, in like-new condition, from my local guitar store and payed well under what I would have payed for it new. You do lose money when you buy a new guitar, even on a "good" guitar like a Martin or a Taylor.

Even if you buy new, you can buy both Martin and Taylor guitars for under $2000. My Taylor GC3, for example, cost me something like $1200.

I don't think anyone "needs" a fancy guitar. But guitars can fall into the same category as cars (or other luxury items). Some people like to drive fancy cars and some people don't. A Honda Civic gets you to the store as well as a Jaguar, but if you like driving nice cars, you aren't going to be satisfied. If you can afford it and it's your priority, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't buy an "expensive" (a very relative term) guitar.

Music Junkie

Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:22 am

Buying used is a great idea if you can have it checked out by a luthier for any hidden problems. Guitar can sound better after some aging.

I bought a Taylor 814ce and I truly love it ($3,500.00US). I also have a Martin 000-15 and love it too ($900.00US). I think the best thing you can do is to be PATIENT and try out as many as you can get your hands on. You may find that higher end guitars are not what you are looking for. Ness tells a great story, and I would venture a solid guess that her playing ANY of her "5 other guitars" would sound better than me playing my one expensive one.... ;)

What you want can only be answered by you.... Play them, listen to them and find the sound you want.

Good luck!

MJ

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:43 am

There would be nothing wrong with a second hand high-end guitar for me. I would only buy on sound, feel, playability and quality of workmanship/looks... in that order.

reiver

Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:20 am

I feel your pain. It took me a looooooong time to make the decision which eventually led to me buying my Gibson last year. But it was time well spent and I don’t regret my choice. I agree with Ness, I could certainly have bought a good quality guitar for half, or even a quarter of the price, but - to continue Suzi’s car analogy – you may not feel like taking a fun drive in a Civic just as often as you would a Jag……though I’m sure they’re both fine cars! It was probably the J-45 that got me hooked on the Gibson sound – I just hadn’t realised that was what I was looking for.

Buying second hand is definitely worth looking at. I don’t think the comparison with second hand car buying is entirely accurate as - unlike cars – guitars can improve with use and time. For this reason, though, really good deals on them can be hard to come by. But if TG was a board game and I had a “Take someone else’s guitar” card to play – I’d take Suzi’s Martin :)

dsmarion

Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:22 am

TwoCatSam wrote:
Ness..Do you mean you'd split $3,00 over 5 guitars; 5 $600 guitars?

I am in the States, Oklahoma to be exact, and we have pawn shops hanging full of guitars. I've thought about it. My Grandson bought a Seagull for $200. I think it sold for $500 new.

Not to be too nosey, but most of you Martin and Taylor owners paid well over $2000 for your instrument, no?

Sam
(who's afraid of her anyway?)
My Martin OM-1 was only around $850 new Sam. I also looked at several others in that price range when I bought it and while you can spend a lot more if you want to, you don't have to. Marin. Taylor and others have great guitars new in that price range. Going in your local guitar shop for a few hours and playing them would be best to help you decide.

Scott

willem

Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:42 am

nesh16041972 wrote:
For that kind of money, I'd buy myself at léast 5 other guitars... :S

I know your collection.... :laugh: :laugh: and they all sound great... :P :laugh:

chacho

Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:04 pm

Hi Sam
Have you considered a custom made guitar from a good luthier for that kind of money.
I remember seeing some good videos on the subject in luthiers corner here on this website, it might be worth considering.
At least you can choose your design and woods etc.........................just a thought.

chacho

MarkM

Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:29 pm

Sam that is a bunch of money you are talking about there. The good news is you will find a heck of a guitar for that kind of dough. I'll repeat what others have said and try as many out as you can. I'm not the most patient guy so I know it can be tough to wait. Gibson's, Martin's, Taylor's all very nice guitars indeed. As you'll try out several wood combinations, sizes, shapes you will get a better idea as to the tone you are chasing. You may be surprised by what you thought you liked vs what you eventually end up liking. New vs used is all in the eye of the beholder. There are some fantastic deals and gems out there in the used market. Just much tougher to get your hands on to play and see for yourself. If going new you will get more consistancy with some of the builders than with others from guitar to guitar. Good luck and have fun test driving as much as you can.

MarkM

neverfoundthetime

Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:43 pm

OK, I buried the fruit jar again.............

Not going to buy until I have weighed all options. May not buy at all. Something sounds bad in my Guild. But then I have tinnitius in my ears and they ring so badly I may be hearing that.

Thank you all for your input. Collectively, you have probably saved me from making a bad mistake.

TCS

wiley

Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:06 pm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic