In which way does a new guitar improve with the years..???

willem

Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:55 am

Really the only thing I know is to take care well your guitar,,,don't let him or she stand for long out of his case..Its getting dry..

W.

dennisg

Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:11 pm

Willem,

This is a subject that is often discussed in guitar forums, and it always results in a lot of debate. Being a relatively inexperienced guitar player who has only recently bought new guitars (and haven't had the opportunity to observe them aging), I'll cite Bob Taylor, owner of Taylor Guitars. It's his observation that the wood in guitars changes at a cellular level over time. He doesn't believe that playing the guitar or using "forced-aging" devices has much, if any, effect on the wood -- only the passage of time does. When asked to describe how aging affects the tone of a guitar, he describes it as "warmth." As a guitar ages, it tends to get less shrill and more warm.

I'm a little confused by your comment about leaving a guitar out of its case for any length of time, because that has nothing to do with aging and more to do with how you properly care for a guitar. And if the humidity in your guitar room is between 45 and 55 percent, you can leave the guitar out of the case forever without any adverse effects from humidity.

willem

Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:56 pm

dennisg wrote:
Willem,

This is a subject that is often discussed in guitar forums, and it always results in a lot of debate. Being a relatively inexperienced guitar player who has only recently bought new guitars (and haven't had the opportunity to observe them aging), I'll cite Bob Taylor, owner of Taylor Guitars. It's his observation that the wood in guitars changes at a cellular level over time. He doesn't believe that playing the guitar or using "forced-aging" devices has much, if any, effect on the wood -- only the passage of time does. When asked to describe how aging affects the tone of a guitar, he describes it as "warmth." As a guitar ages, it tends to get less shrill and more warm.

I'm a little confused by your comment about leaving a guitar out of its case for any length of time, because that has nothing to do with aging and more to do with how you properly care for a guitar. And if the humidity in your guitar room is between 45 and 55 percent, you can leave the guitar out of the case forever without any adverse effects from humidity.

Your right Dennis and I said it wrong I geuss,,, we must have some humidity (45 and 55 percent) to keep it well sounded,,I remember such when I asked it way back and my guitar sounded a bit dead.

well it is good to know that the wood cellular changes with the years and makes the guitarsound warm,,

than I think that cellular can (are) be diffrent from each other (diffrent kind of woods) and can sound warm or shrill when they are new..

an other question,, In which way changes the cellular,??

Chasplaya

Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:09 pm

Not the answer you're looking for but.... Here goes anyway... It might also have something to do with us as guitarists also getting better and our ears getting more attuned to the sound of our own playing.

I do tend to agree (and don't pretend to fully understand) Dennis comment from Bob Taylor re getting warmer and less shrill, don't ask me about cellular changes.. In the words of Schultz 'I Know nothing!'

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic