Is There A Doc In The House? Is Anyone Experiencing These Guitar Related Symptoms?

lueders

Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:47 pm

A few hours ago, I awoke up to a VERY. VERY numb, tingly, needle-y left (Fret) hand. I have experienced this 2 or three times
before and I dismissed it as merely going to sleep on my arm no big deal. i.e I sleeping on it wrong. Thereby cutting off the
blood flow to my arm & hand. The thing is I didn't notice a numbness in my arm at all. It was all in my hand. (And it took quite
a while to subside.) Strangely, I did not even awaken to find myself sleeping over the top of my arm. In fact, I awoke sleeping
on my right side with my left arm on top and down at my side.

FOR HOURS, the night before,I had been playing guitar/ working on Beast of Burden, J.J's Banana Pancakes, & D.R.'s
Cannonball...all fairly demanding of the left hand except perhaps the Damien Rice tune... a lot of thumb over the top with Keif,
and some relatively fast fretting barred minor seventh stuff with Jack. And don't get me wrong, none of it was shred metal. I'm
just saying it was more demanding than 1st position cowboy chords. But what I was playing is probably neither here nor there.
What it likely comes down to is HOW I play, & HOW LONG I play.

I have experienced similar symptoms during waking hours...after playing. Sometimes after long- extended marathon playing sessions. Other times just after a short time. Some of those times, I have taken breaks/ ceased playing. Occasionally I have played through the pain, like the simpleton that I am.(Thinking to hell with this..."if I'm going down, I'm going down strummin, pluckin', & picking!" lol! What can I say, I come from stubborn stock. My dad once finished a double-hitter in left field a with dislocated shoulder. And I'm not him obviously...But I bring that up because I pretty much have that bull- headed streak ingrained in my DNA. And in the way I was raised. "Hell ,you ain't bleeding you're alright." And I believe that in the past, that it has related to my guitar playing. I have never been one to warm up properly or any of that stuff. (but I aim to start!) I just play and play & play some more....

Although,I'm really not sure what is going on. I have a history of heart attack, stroke, and diabetes in my family. So that concerns me. (A male "Lueders" doesn't have a very long life expectancy. :( ...an endangered species of sorts.lol)
Obviously, I need to start taking care of myself. Thirty five is definitely old enough to die of a heart attack. I had a cousin, about a month ago...who out in New Jersey was playing video games with very young son and had a heart attack at 39! (Great guy, too!) His situation is similar to mine in many ways: unresolved stress at work, drastic weight gain, and not taking care of himself the way he should. Anyways, sorry for the novel here. Just really got me thinking...

I debated about whether to post this or not. And I certainly hope I am overreacting. But I dunno?
Has anyone experienced any of the same kinds of things?

dsmarion

Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:57 pm

I have been experiencing numbness and tingling in my fret hand for quite some time now. I also get the same thing in the right hand also but no as often. I get these in the morning and also in waking hours most every day whether playing or not - but it gets real bad when playing sometimes. I have attributed it to smoking for so long and bad circulation - but I have not been diagnosed so I don't really know for sure. I also have a history of neck problems which can affect everything connected (shoulders, arms, elbows, hands) but I don't think the numbness is related to that. Not sure what else I can tell you - but I feel your pain believe me.

Scott

sbutler

Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:01 pm

I've had the numb hands before. I was told that if the thumb and first two fingers were numb, it was a carpule tunnel (wrist)thing. If the pinky and ring finger were numb, it was a cubital tunnel (elbow) thing. After 25 years of twisting wirenuts (electrican), all that twisting and tool turning caught up with me. I've had surgurys on both wrists and my left elbow because of it.

Maybe, (hopefully) you worked those parts a little too hard, and they are swollen or something. But its worth checking with a pro over, because I know first hand how important it is to NOT lose sleep.

Scott

willem

Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:03 pm

Yes Cori,I think we all have that kind of experience and when I was 35 I realised that life is not only fun ,,then saw all the realistic in life,,,then I started something new in my life and after two years i got all the fun back...

If you have pain and you really give it an time rest(really rest) and it ogoes not away,,,well visit a doctor..

To long(very long) playing guitar in wrong posture(also for the hands) can give pain,,your muscle must devolop,,and also a sporter knows pain...

sooooo,,,not playing for you for a while,,well singin only...'cos that gives good chemicals in your body..

W.

wrench

Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:14 pm

Cori, if you are as stubborn as you say you are, I first encourage you to avoid for now the insistence of medical professionals that you need cortisone shots and wrist surgery right now. At least do a little research first, and see if you are able to help yourself before you resort to conventional medicine. I'm not trying to be harsh or disrespectful to medical professionals, but in America today your doctor has 15 minutes and a few statistics to treat you. For something that takes time to figure out, you're on your own.

If I were you, I'd start with a new pillow, and see "The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook" by Clair Davies. Page 105. If I had this information 15 years ago, I think I could have avoided 3 surgeries, and I have cured 3 additional ailments for which doctors said surgery was the only solution - even though they couldn't tell me what the problem was.

Trigger point therapy certainly won't cure every ailment, but neither will a scalpel.

wiley

Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:05 pm

lueders

Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:08 pm

Scott & Scott, Wilem & Dan Thank you all very much!

Wow, what great feedback! Thanks a lot Fellas.

Scott (D.S.M) Yeah, man a lot of the stuff you were saying sure sounds similarto what I am experiencing.
I definitely get that going on rather randomly in the middle of the day. And,
I definitely don't have as good of circulation as used to have.

Scott (Butler) that was informative...based on what you said. i would have to say it is more of "a thumb first two fingers thing" but
not always. An electrician huh? You must be one of those guys that has had about five lives. You're a pilot too aren't
you? Anyways, thanks a lot man.

Wilem- Thank you my friend. I am sure I am quite guilty of bad posture. mechanics & posture.

Dan- Thank you very much!! I will buy that book immediately..(& Yep, I trully am pretty darn stubborn.) I know what
you mean about the U.S. medical situation at present.

neverfoundthetime

Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:23 pm

Hi Cori, it is never too late to start improving things. Today is always a good day to start anything. If you are worried about general health and fitness, the good news is you can make swift progress with regular cardio exercise and watching what you eat once you put your mind to it. You can do a lot to protect yourself from heart trouble and stroke no matter what your genetics and family history. Sounds like your left hand stuff is just a bit of over use but you are right to wonder about sleeping on your arm. Maybe your neck position is an issue. Check out the McKenzie method for some simple exercise which can help big time. I've just spent a couple of weeks working on back and hip problems which have dogged me for a long time with the McKenzie method. And I was having a problem with the left shoulder which started by me laying back in my lounger playing guitar in front of the TV. It meant I had to keep lifting up with the left arm as I was laying back at about 45 degrees. It then got much worse with the most pain coming in bed at night... so I'm sure the way I sleep on that arm made things worse. SO it was about 2 months of quite a bit of pain at times... now subsided thanks to the exercises.

http://www.mckenziemdt.org/approach.cfm?section=int

lueders

Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:35 pm

Wiley- Sorry Fella, you got in there on me. Before I could thank you...I really like your posts. No matter what the post, it is
ALWAYS quite detailed & informative. Such is the case in this instance. I need to research this topic further like Dan said,
but the metal strip wrist brace might not have occurred to me. So thank you very much. I am sorry your knees and wrist
are ailing you. I have to say none of those treatment options sound very damned appealing. Again thank You very Much!

lueders

Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:51 pm

Well, hello there Nan'er-man...

Good stuff. thanks for the encouragement! I'll look into this McKenzie method stuff. Thanks for the link!
EDIT: I hope you are right, in that it is just overuse.

Cori

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic