Is There A Doc In The House? Is Anyone Experiencing These Guitar Related Symptoms?

Lavallee

Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:53 am

Hi Cori, sorry to hear about the fingers problem. The wrist aspect could be helped with using a belt (Tony was wondering at one point if I am selling guitar belts). I noticed that your fretting wrist is often angled when you play due to the fret board being almost horizontal. With a belt , the fretboard can be held at 30 degrees and up allowing your hand to be in straight line with your forearm. the constant bend might be the reason for the nerves being pinched causing the numbness in the fingers.

Marc

lueders

Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:15 am

Thanks Marc! Definitely gave something to think about! So did you make your commission on belt sales? Lol!

willem

Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:09 pm

What is a guitar belt? Is there a link?

thereshopeyet

Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:02 pm

Thanks

lueders

Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:21 pm

AHHHA! That's It! :)

thereshopeyet

Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:06 am

Thanks

AndyT

Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:00 pm

I tried for months to play with my hand in the position Neil teaches and had very little success. I actuallycaused myself pain. Doc said at my age...blah blah blah ... Then try this;

Stick your arm full out next to you. (Fretting hand) Palm up. Then bend your arm and touch your shoulder. That is the position you should be using. It's natural and your hand is already able to do it without creating stress that can cause pain. Since I've been doing it that way, most of my hand pains have vanished.

michelew

Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:46 pm

Folks and people; Friends and neighbors...........

Just saw the movie "Hugo". Pretty good, but not the point. There was a four piece band, two guitars. Do you people find yourself forgetting the movie and checking out the guitarists to see how they are holding the instrument and where their thumb is and all that?

I find it all very intersting.

Samster

lueders

Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:40 pm

Yes, definitely Sam. I was at a small-scale folk festival four or five years ago. And I actually had one of the side stage performers
tell me afterward that he was nearly unnerved/ mildly annoyed by my constant staring & fixation on his hands as he played. LOL! :laugh: :laugh:

Back when I was a lowly studio Art major in college...I remember observing & having conversations with fellow students that
art-makers dissect art-works in the gallery or wherever...and they're thinking: "how did they do that?" Whereas, the average
observer is just taking in the overall experience. I reckon the same concept holds for most of us who attempt a musical instrument.
I am guessing this is true in many other fields as well.

Cori

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic