Love to hear a Takamine compare and contrast

njfrese

Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:50 am

I am thinking of purchasing a Takamine acoustic/electric, and there are TONS of choices. I am really like the Supernaturals, TAN15C, 16C, 45C and 77C, all with CoolTube preamp. My question is this: how do those guitars compare with the Natural and Sante Fe series guitars? In particular, 261SAN, ETN70C, ESN40C, ETN20C, ETN70 and ETN30C. I'd love to hear some people who know their stuff give a rundown of the pluses and minuses of these guitars. I would describe myself as an "ok" player -- mostly a strummer, but with some ability to finger pick. I am looking for something that is easy to play, and that will sound awesome in my cheap home recording set-up, both miked and plugged in.

neverfoundthetime

Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:13 am

Hi njfrese.

So many things to think about when choosing a guitar. I have two Taks and I love them.
When I have the money though, my next guitar will be a BSG.
You have to actually play the guitars you are choosing from and for me the criteria are, in order of importance:
How does it sound?
How does it play?
How does it feel?
How is the workmanship?
How does it look?
Can I afford it?

Whatever make of guitar, that's the way you need to go IMHO.

Chris

dennisg

Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:19 am

I think Chris's advice is spot on, but I think you'd get more responses by going to a Takamine forum.

njfrese

Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:20 am

That is, of course, a very logical and solid thought process. What makes this difficult is that there is no way for me to actually play all the guitars prior to purchase. There are simply no shops in the area that carry all of these models. In fact, I'm having a tough time finding ANY of them locally. I've seen some videos, and LOVED what I heard of the Supernaturals with the CoolTube. Very warm and with strong presence.

Never heard of BSG, but boy, they sure are purty! But they cost a few bucks, too! I'd be saving up a LONG time to get one of those puppies.

dennisg

Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:31 am

I used to believe that the consequences of buying a guitar sight-unseen were potentially catastrophic. But they're usually not. In a worse-case scenario, if you buy a guitar that you end up hating, you can almost always sell it. You'll take a bit of a loss, but at least you won't be stuck with it.

Having said this, if I had any opportunity at all to play a guitar I intended to consider buying, I'd jump on it. If no suitable Taks are available in your town, go to the web sites of guitar stores in the next town over, or the next town after that one. Drive 100 miles if you have to.

haoli25

Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:35 am

Hi NJFRESE and welcome to TG. Another option for you is to check the internet and see if there are any guitar shows coming to your area in the near future. Always lots of new and used guitars at those AND a few bargains if you look hard enough.

Bill

Chasplaya

Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:55 pm

I have two Taks and love em both, but to give advice on so many is pretty difficult. I second Chris advice (Neverfoundthetime) and I also suggest you post here as well:

http://www.takamineforum.com/

Really explore this site as there are many gems of info behind some of the links not apparent at first

Also play any guitar first if you can before you buy, buying sight unseen can be dicey and as Dennis says you needn't be stuck you will most likely be able to offload it on ebay, craigs list or something similar

njfrese

Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:57 pm

In the small world department, my high school buddy, Al Pepiak, is the moderator of that forum. He is actually looking around for a Tak for me.

dburns99

Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:06 pm

I have a G series 531SSC and although one of my other guitars is a Martin D-35 it's the Tak I pick up and play every day. I love the Tak. It's comfortable, built well, sounds great unplugged or plugged in ( it has the TK-40 preamp), and was quite reasonably priced.

Don't get me wrong...the Martin blows it out of the water in the tone department....but I'd still recommend a Tak to anyone looking for a quality mid-priced guitar.

AndyT

Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:30 am

I love Gracie. (My Tak) Incredible tone and amazingly comfortable to play. It compares to anything else I've played except a high end Martin.

Do what you can to play as many as you can, but don't be afraid to pick one up anyway.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic