Guilele or Guitalele......Tomato, Tomoto.....whatever you want to call it, I dig it....

Music Junkie

Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:26 pm

Hey everyone:

I went in to my local store the other day and they had these cool little guys displayed. Depending on the brand, they call them Guileles or Guitaleles. They are a cross between a guitar and a ukulele. Six strings and tuned like a guitar with a capo at the 5th fret: A D G C E A......

Here are a couple of clips about them:

The ones at my store ranged from $200 - $700 depending, again, on brand and style. I thought they were pretty cool, and could really be used as a pretty sweet little travel guitar for some of us who have been searching for the perfect travel guitar. Tone can be a bit more to the uke side, but depending on how you play it, it can lean the way of the guitar as well.....

Cheers!

MJ

Chasplaya

Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:09 pm

MJ

Thanks for sharing that they are so cool, I haven't seen them here in NZ.

Music Junkie

Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:13 pm

Chas:

I was at Guitar Center the other day and they did not have any either, which sort of surprised me. I don't go there very often, as I prefer my local retailer much more. I asked my local store if they could get some left-handed models and they said yes, so maybe one of these days.... ;)

lueders

Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:33 pm

Jason,

I've seen those a time or two at some music stores and I asked about 'em. but I couldn't remember what the associate called them (until your post jogged my memory, of course) I never picked one up, because I distracted by this sweet telecaster. But those funky things sure have me curious. :)

P.S. So your son is B-baller, huh! That's cool! Glad he's doing well! I'd have to say its my favorite sport. Krista & I get pretty psyched this time of year for March Madness.

Music Junkie

Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:51 pm

lueders wrote:
P.S. So your son is B-baller, huh! That's cool! Glad he's doing well! I'd have to say its my favorite sport. Krista & I get pretty psyched this time of year for March Madness.
Cori:

We love basketball, but not so much the NBA. Like you, we dig the NCAA Tourney (both men's and women's). The four of us make a bracket each year and pick teams. Makes watching the games so fun around the house. Dom is in 5th grade and our town has a city league that draws quite a gathering. There are 22 teams just in dom's 4/5th grade section. There are 2/3rd, 4/5th, 6th in both boys and girls. We play each Saturday and then off and on during the week. Playoff's start next week! Dom's team is middle of the road, but the kids are enjoying the heck out of it and our coach is a super cool guy. The boys are learning so much from him. All I can say is that it is the first thing in a while, besides bowling, that he looks forward to practice.... :)

I decided to stay away from coaching, because 6 yrs of baseball coaching has kind of ruined me..... :( I love the kids, but the parents leave a lot to be desired. Especially when you are in so-called "teaching" leagues and all anyone wants to do is win. I got into it once and had to tell a parent that if they want their kid to win all the time, they need to put them on a club team. You deal with a lot of kids that have never played sports before, and it is your job to help them out just as much as it is to lead the athletically gifted kids. I decided that sitting on the sidelines watching my kids was much more fun.... ;) Can't wait for March Madness!!!!!

MJ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic