A &$^#@*$%$@%$#^%^!!^&# poll

TGNeil

Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:49 pm

Of course Den, I very well know, that was of course my point as well, thanks... :kiss:

dennisg wrote:
Ness, you know enough about me to realize that I have no problem with who you are, what you stand for, what you were born into, or anything else about you.

Chasplaya

Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:16 pm

michelew wrote:
Well there has been a fair amount of discussion on this and some fairly polarized views too. Vigourous debate is good. However, Cori's wise words ring in my ears, namely that we're not at a BBQ and that a social contract exists for good reasons.

This is straying into comments that definitely have the potential to offend (which they well may have already). While cursing can be offensive, it is also possible to be offensive without cursing. I think having a go at people's spiritual beliefs fits into that basket. I didn't start this thread as a free kick to do that. Please let's remember to be respectful of each other.

Feel free to PM me if you want to have a serious go at me.

Thanks.

Michele
Hear hear, may I suggest we avoid hijacking Shel s thread (myself included) and take other discussions either via pm, offline or start another specific thread, then we all have a choice whether to involve ourselves or not.

lueders

Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:43 pm

dennisg wrote:
lueders wrote:
dekotaj wrote:
Gentleman.

If you chose not to believe in religion.OK with me.You answer for your bad deed when you stand before him.But for not wanting to pick a bone here.Your pushing it!!!

Kev
Kevin, I like you more all the time...

Cori :) :)
Kevin and Cori,

I respect both of you very, very much and I accept that religion means something profound to you. But while you two are giving each other high fives, remember that there are a lot of very good people who choose to not make religion a part of their lives. Characterizing these decisions as "bad deeds" is every bit as offensive to me as slamming religion is to Ness. I love you guys and I love Vanessa, even though our views on religion are about 180 degrees apart. So, given the "bad deeds" line you two are celebrating, do you now want me to believe that you think I'm a bad person because of my choices?
Okay this is like the 3rd time today I have tried to type this. . . I respect you too, Dennis. (I don't always agree with you but I respect you.) if I was doing any "high five-ing" it was the "for not wanting to pick a bone you are doing a lot of pushing" part of Kevin's quote. It has as more to do with: common sense, respect & decency toward other people, and simply knowing when to live & let live...more anything else. You don't need belief in a supreme deity to have that. My problem wasn't with anything YOU specifically said Dennis.

I do however, have a problem with one member telling another members what kind of conversations his granddaughter is most likely having with her peers. Especially when that member doesn't really know the: the grandfather, the granddaughter, or the peers from Adam.That takes a level of arrogance & audacity that I am not comfortable being around. Frankly I thought RedPick handled that fairly well...he handled it better than I would have. I was right there with him until the part where he turned around & called us "ALL" reprobates...especially after some of us stuck up for his point of view and right to have it.

TGMike

Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:24 pm

Please get this thread back on track of the original subject. I will need to lock it down otherwise.

A couple of themes such as politics and religion we have seen really divide people here in other threads previously. In fact it caused some members to disengage quite a bit after those dust ups. I respect all of you and I need to ask everyone to do their best to keep politics and religion out of the TG forums. TG needs to stay a comfortable place for everyone to hang out. It is a guitar/music site and let's all keep to that theme please.

Thanks for your help,
Mike

michelew

Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:46 pm

Thanks Mike. I wondered whether TG might be thinking of locking down this thread. I'm glad you haven't yet.

I think there has been some miscommunication in the threads I've read. I think that some of the heat would have dissipated or not developed at all if we were sitting in the same room together and could clarify ourselves and ask questions.

TG is a diverse community but for all our differences I think we have much more in common; we are all looking for connections and for meaning (regardless of the path we choose), we all love our kids (in all their forms - e.g. Furry), we all love music and want to learn this Beautiful instrument to express ourselves better and have fun.

It seems that the vast majority of us curse and that we believe that audience is important. Check out the poll. B)

Thanks for adding your views.

So what's the next topic that we can get our teeth into?

Shel

thereshopeyet

Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:14 pm

Thanks

michelew

Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:48 pm

Well I do LOVE a good burger. :)

Dermot this would be a less colourful place without you and your pictures. :)

dburns99

Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:12 am

TGMike wrote:
Please get this thread back on track of the original subject. I will need to lock it down otherwise.

A couple of themes such as politics and religion we have seen really divide people here in other threads previously. In fact it caused some members to disengage quite a bit after those dust ups. I respect all of you and I need to ask everyone to do their best to keep politics and religion out of the TG forums. TG needs to stay a comfortable place for everyone to hang out. It is a guitar/music site and let's all keep to that theme please.

Thanks for your help,
Mike
This is true. When people disengage they don't buy lessons.

Seems to me the underlying subject of this thread is all about censorship.....whether self-imposed or not. Gagging a healthy discussion on politics and religion is kinda like negating folk music at it's roots. If folk music and acoustic guitars were outlawed, would a site such as this even exist?

Just saying.

:)

neverfoundthetime

Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:31 am

Hi D, good point about how folk songs have come about. In the context of the TG forum though, we have found out through experience that religion and politics are the two subjects that eventually will de-rail a thread even when much restraint is used, it just happens each time. I thought I was safe differentiating and alluding to the points I alluded to but I'll admit to being wrong there.

When people stick to arguing the points of contention, things will be ok . It should be about playing the ball. When folks choose to kick at the man instead of the ball, that's foul play and totally uncalled for. So I think Mike made a wise move... in the end, learning the guitar is what we're doing here.

thereshopeyet

Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:03 pm

Thanks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic