A &$^#@*$%$@%$#^%^!!^&# poll

coomba

Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:07 am

Yep well done rdaltry TG is now just like the rest of the web.

that,s your favorite ?

I guess it really is a matter of taste

Cheers
(I think)

Scott

RicksPick

Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:31 am

WOW what a discusion

My wife swears as an expression and often does,
I often tell her off, cos I dont unless Im rearly upset
I dont love her any less

For me If these words are posted in Lyric's or in video then thats just expression,
as long as its not over done!!
In general discussion in a thread here on TG would be poor taste
This is a peaceful site and would want it to remain that way

RicksPick
Old Prude lol

thereshopeyet

Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:45 am

Thanks

willem

Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:16 am

schm040 wrote:

Michele,

Just be sure when you drop the bomb you pause and give the crowd the middle finger!!!!

Matt

I think you wanted to make some humor,,,cos I know your music taste,,,give a finger like that is doulble and can escalate,,I know!!! I drive a cab,,

W.

dekotaj

Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:46 am

I don't think the debate is getting too heated. Maybe I missed something.

It's a shame you took your comment down. I personally found it hilarious and very refreshing and not out of line at all. But, I guess you've got to do what feels right. I often edit my responses, I often do it because I feel I've gone too far, ... and then others tell me I haven't. Regardless, I think we all self-regulate pretty well and are pretty honest and reasonable about letting people know when we think they've gone too far. It hasn't happened for a while from memory.

Anyway... This was just intended to get this stuff out into the open and to hear the views of the community, not to stir up trouble or offend people.

Shel[/quote]

Shel-I don't think the debate is getting too heated up ether.I was just referring to RED PICK saying he would not let his 12yr.old share the love of this site he has.It would be a real shame if folks out there would not join in the fun of the form becuz of smut.I guess I need to work on my typing along with my guitar playing.

Kev

neverfoundthetime

Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:08 am

Such a juicy thread Shel, yummy!

I really didn't swear until I became a student (I think). I'd really love to be able to remember when I used the F word for the first time and what for and how it felt. I remember the first time I heard it, though. Sitting in the back of the family van in 1964 on summer holiday (first one I can ever remember). Dad had just had a row with mum and he was taking us kids (4 of the 5 of us) to see Goldfinger at the cinema in Wells-next-to-the-See on the Norfolk coast. He thumped the steering wheel and used the F word and I remember the awful feeling and fear and trembling but had no idea what the F the word meant. I just knew it was bad! I was 8 1/2. Not nice for young kids to be exposed to a violent use of these words.

If you haven't seen A Christmas Story, then you need to! :-):

But this is a grown-ups site (at least the forum threads on such topics is!) and freedom of speech is important and there is an excellent self-regulating culture of respect between members, so we are on very safe ground here.

For me, its always the intention behind the words used that comes through. F can be funny, frightening or just plain meaningless. Attaching the concept of offensiveness just to the words used and not the intention behind them makes no real sense to me. If you'll excuse me Andy, I believe that's what you do and I can't help but think, "well if God didn't intend us to swear then..." Just like I can't believe any God worth his/her salt would give us sexuality and then want to micro manage how it manifests itself in society... nor be bothered by nakedness. What the F? For the record, I don't believe in religions but I do believe in spirituality. And just to be clear, I'm just referencing religion in the context of swearing here and not looking for a discussion on the forum on religion itself (feel free to PM though if anyone wants to pick that bone with me).

This was the most outrageous thing ever when it came out, I must have been about 12, Derek and Clive and the C word. Not for the easily offended!

Kev, Redpick may be very surprised if he was to listen into his 12 year olds discussions with friends at school!
inappropriateness -- like beauty -- is in the eye of the beholder. And who here do you want to nominate as the arbiter to determine what's inappropriate in song lyrics? Dennis
Exactly!

And Pierre, your last post make be sputter my coffee! What a dark horse you are :-)

redpick

Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:22 pm

Yes you MAY be right, I might be surprised if I listened in to my 12 yo granddaughter's discussions with friends. But then again would I want to introduce her to MY friends' swearing? I'm teaching her guitar and after a few weeks she is showing real promise with her quick chord changing and obvious practice when on her own. She now has 4-5 songs under her belt and we have really bonded with our mutual love of the guitar. I'm on the verge of introducing her to a small no. of my fav. websites and this is one of them. I LOVE this site. Now I don't really want to make this a granddaughter issue...
I'm also teaching my son guitar - he's in his 30's and I have NO hesitation in introducing him to you reprobates!:)

neverfoundthetime

Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:12 pm

Great job red! Just direct your granddaughter to the lessons and posted songs and all will be well... and she won't have to admit to you all the naughty words she's already using ;-).

While we're on the subject of kids and swearing, I remember teaching my own daughter to swear when she was about 5. She had bunnies which were allowed to run free one afternoon on the balcony. They then chewed the telephone wires while I was using it (in them days, telephones still had wires attached). So when the phone went dead and I realised it was the bunnies I let slip: "Stupid F-ing Bunnies!". Alessandra was aghast at first and mortally offended that I swore at her precious bunnies. And then it became a big joke where she proudly told everyone who'd listen to her for the next year or so that daddy said.....

Well, the neighbours and family members were most impressed. :ohmy:

AndyT

Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:32 pm

Chris,
I hate religion. I'm a Minister, not a Priest. (Forgive me if you are) I feel that religion is a man made institution that is designed to control people and keep them under the thumb of a man-based authority. Christianity is all about a personal relationship between the individual and god. I try not to judge others because I have been guilty of so many things myself.

I used to swear more in 5 minutes than most people did in years. Since then I've come to feel that no matter the reason, there comes a point where words need to be stewarded well or I run the risk of causing harm to someone. I know I can never please everyone and I'm not out to try. but I also know that it shows an amount of compassion that I have for others if I consider them and control my language. I think it makes me a nicer person.

I've tried to avoid bring the Bible into this, but it does say that we will be held accountable for every idle and hurtful word we utter, so why risk it?

Chasplaya

Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:51 pm

My haven't times changed, I can recall as a youngster telling my Sister to 'Shut Up' in front of my Mum, that earned me a clip round the ear! and told I wasn't to use that language ever again! Then a few years later I was a working before school as a butchers delivery boy and I can't recall the reason but I said to the elderly driver, in jest I might add with no malicious intent 'You old bastard!' now that earned me a closed fist to the right jaw!! Now some profanities are commonplace and used in every day language, what hasn't changed I believe is the intonation and how and when they are used; take Billi Connolly for example, he uses the F word profusely onstage and sometimes its a bit OTT but then sometimes the joke or story just wouldn't be the same, in Billy's own words on the subject when talking about door to door religious types , saying 'Go away' in a polite mannered voice doesn't usually cut it... But say 'Fuck Off!' rather loudly but not shouting usually gets immediate desired result!

Now it was mentioned about saying things in an Irish accent or writing in Irish phonetics might be the answer so I give you this.. Say the following words quickly as if they were to merge into each other Whale - Oil - Beef - Hooked and you will most likely get a pseudo Irish popular saying

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic