A &$^#@*$%$@%$#^%^!!^&# poll

michelew

Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:45 pm

The poll question should read - Do you drop the F-bomb when singing in public if it is in the lyrics of a song? ... or something to that effect.

When is it OK to drop the F-Bomb in a song?

I'm working on a song that has an "explicit" lyric; specifically "F%$&ing" in it. Let's call it the F-Bomb. To sing it or not to sing it if I post it on TG, that's the predicament.

Well as you have probably guessed I'm practicing the PG lyrics. So why? I guess it's because I don't want to offend anyone on TG, I don't want to encourage kids that may be on the site to swear and I think it may be against TG policy (but I just can't remember).

So do you ever drop the f-bomb when singing in public? If it depends, then what does it depend on?

It feels a little ridiculous to write about it euphemistically since you all know what I'm talking about, since I feel that I'm most likely talking to adults (but I guess that's part of the problem, you just don't know who might read this and who might take offence). I actually don't curse much in my day-to-day life. Actually, it really depends who I'm with. :) But, it can help with self expression if not overused. And actually cursing really doesn't worry or offend me unless it is violent; actually there is one or two words that I take exception to. But mostly, it depends how it is delivered.

Anyway... that's my ramble for the day.

Thoughts?

Michele

TGNeil

Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:04 pm

A quick sideline before I weigh in on this. Who can pin down the first record to drop this particular bomb?

dennisg

Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:13 pm

TGNeil wrote:
A quick sideline before I weigh in on this. Who can pin down the first record to drop this particular bomb?
I seem to recall some hubbub around a Louis Armstrong song from the Depression era ... well before John Lennon's Working Class Hero.

suziko

Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:26 pm

My opinion- sing it as written, Shel, as long as YOU are comfortable with it. I can't imagine anyone is going to be offended by a swear word here on TG. And if they are, then they have certainly been warned. :)

I do edit my singing at times, mostly when I'm singing around my daughter. If I'm singing a song with the "f-bomb" in it, I will slur the word or change it. I realize she knows the word but I also don't feel comfortable using it freely in front of her. So, as i said in my vote, it just depends on the audience.

AndyT

Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:39 pm

I change it. Only because I try and not use that kind of language for any reason.
I can't (at the moment) think of an occasion where I might utter it.

lueders

Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:49 pm

Sorry, I cheated...according to the sources I could find it was a Louie Armstrong tune called Old Man Mose, 1938... ( like Dennis said)

The Who's..."why don't they all just F-F-F-fade-away line from (my generation) comes to mind. Though not actually uttering the word...the accidental stutter actually had more effect/impact than if he had said the word.

I am on the fence on this one...

Cori

coomba

Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:51 pm

G'day Michele

In my game (steal industry) swearing is second nature and I would make a Russian submariner blush from time to time, But as a rule I never swear in hearing distance of anyone in public. Never in front of women or kids and absolutely never in front of my Mum. To me its a matter of respect for others. If I meet someone new and they swear then I guess I find it ok to do the same but again there are certain words that I still would never say. I'm a born and bred Westy biker , (Michelle will know what I mean) and So I'm defiantly no prude but I would hope TG will always be rated PG as I am always trying to encourage some young kids I know to join us here and it would be a shame if things changed here.
One of the best things about TG is its a safe place to be for all regardless of race, religion, age, gender etc. I hope it stays that way.
If you do decide to drop the F bomb then that's your call and it would not offend me , but TG will be a different place.

As for swearing and lyric I can take it or leave it, is it necessary I don't know, plenty of great songs out there seam to be able to express themselves with out swearing, but again it depends on the subject matter and the intended audience, is it intended to shock, offend or express emotions.

I feel the same about comedians I laugh at Kevin bloody Wilson (defiantly AO) but is he funnier that Bill Cosby? Its a matter of taste , but I know which one I would let the kids listen too.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers Scott

PS with regards to Neils question I have no idea.

michelew

Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:57 pm

lueders wrote:
Sorry, I cheated...according to the sources I could find it was a Louie Armstrong tune called Old Man Mose, 1938... ( like Dennis said)

The Who's..."why don't they all just F-F-F-fade-away line from (my generation) comes to mind. Though not actually uttering the word...the accidental stutter actually had more effect/impact than if he had said the word.

I am on the fence on this one...

Cori
Besides checking the poll question, I think I should have included more options. Oh well..hindsight.

TGNeil

Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:02 pm

In the early Old Man, Mose recording it was used as an interjected expletive, not really conversational as in Working Class Hero. Dig a little deeper for this one...

By the way, I pretty much agree with Suzi on this, although I rarely been in front of an audience where I am comfortable with it. Of course, I tend to stick to instrumentals.

Neil

wiley

Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:31 pm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic