A &$^#@*$%$@%$#^%^!!^&# poll

michelew

Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:11 am

Hmmmm......interesting twists in here....

wiley

Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:16 am

Music Junkie

Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:08 am

Shel:

I am showing up really late to this game.... ;)

I like to keep lyrics true to the original as much as possible. Among friends or around the campfire, those words are probably already flying around anyway.... :P If there are children, or people I know who do not like it around, I would surely try to alter the lyrics a bit as to not offend. For me it is certainly a case-by-case basis with no stern answer... :)

MJ

Chasplaya

Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:18 pm

Whilst I answered in the Poll I never really answered in my first post. I am no public singer as you know ;) , but it has been known for me to sing if the song were to have certain profanities I would leave it as it were, also the audience would have a bearing on whether I sang the original. I'm no prude by any means but kids have their whole lives to learn these words and don't need encouragement from me.

michelew

Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:28 pm

Well there has been a fair amount of discussion on this and some fairly polarized views too. Vigourous debate is good. However, Cori's wise words ring in my ears, namely that we're not at a BBQ and that a social contract exists for good reasons.

This is straying into comments that definitely have the potential to offend (which they well may have already). While cursing can be offensive, it is also possible to be offensive without cursing. I think having a go at people's spiritual beliefs fits into that basket. I didn't start this thread as a free kick to do that. Please let's remember to be respectful of each other.

Feel free to PM me if you want to have a serious go at me.

Thanks.

Michele

Lavallee

Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:05 am

Amen..

michelew wrote:

This is straying into comments that definitely have the potential to offend (which they well may have already). While cursing can be offensive, it is also possible to be offensive without cursing. I think having a go at people's spiritual beliefs fits into that basket. I didn't start this thread as a free kick to do that. Please let's remember to be respectful of each other.

dburns99

Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:53 am

Oh man LOL....too effin' funny

neverfoundthetime

Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:06 am

Andy, great! We dislike religion for the same reasons. It's the control bit (and the oppression and thought control) that makes me see red. I got that you changed from being a cusser to a non-cusser so there will be that smoker to non-smoker element to it for you. I love the way Billy Connolly tells his stories with all the swearing and I love the outrageousness of South Park... and at the same time I love to be among mild-mannered folks who wouldn't dream of swearing in public. I dislike the use of the aggressive pimp language in rap and repeated F-ing for no apparent reason but it kills me when it is used for outrageous humour so it is definitely the thought behind the words that count for me. There is no absolute so crude is not just plain crude to me as Wiley mentions. As Dennis points out, like beauty, offence is in the eye of the beholder. And yes, I believe words are very powerful things.... but any God worth his salt is not going to be so petty as to be counting up your swear words like he has some sort of celestial swearbox and then hold you to account. The intention is everything. All sing now...

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good, Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood. :)

AndyT wrote:
Chris,
I hate religion. I'm a Minister, not a Priest. (Forgive me if you are) I feel that religion is a man made institution that is designed to control people and keep them under the thumb of a man-based authority. Christianity is all about a personal relationship between the individual and god. I try not to judge others because I have been guilty of so many things myself.

I used to swear more in 5 minutes than most people did in years. Since then I've come to feel that no matter the reason, there comes a point where words need to be stewarded well or I run the risk of causing harm to someone. I know I can never please everyone and I'm not out to try. but I also know that it shows an amount of compassion that I have for others if I consider them and control my language. I think it makes me a nicer person.

I've tried to avoid bring the Bible into this, but it does say that we will be held accountable for every idle and hurtful word we utter, so why risk it?

boldent

Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:00 am

Religion will also cost you some big $$$.

dekotaj

Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:49 am

Gentleman.

If you chose not to believe in religion.OK with me.You answer for your bad deed when you stand before him.But for not wanting to pick a bone here.Your pushing it!!!

Kev

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic