Metronomes

BobR

Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:02 pm

I bought a Seiko quartz for about $35 or so. I don't love it, but it's OK. It has two sounds not much different from each other. It does not allow you to dial in the exact speed you want, but makes you pick like from 63 to 66. If you want 65-tough!

Also it does not have the ding for the first note in the chord. My old one went ding-dock-dock-dock. This is just four docks. You cannot set different times on it, but I guess you don't need to.

On the good side, it is a loud little puppy. Surprised the neighbors havent griped. And you can use headphones.

I'd not buy it if I had taken it for a test drive first. Maybe I'll forget and leave it out in the rain like I did the last one.

Oh, and it's made in China probably by some six-year-old slave.

I know--I'm way off base as Leno says.

TCS

thereshopeyet

Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:38 pm

Hello Neil

I dropped Seiko an email to ask what Metronome replaces the obsolete SQ 100-77.

In their reply they advised the SQ200 would be the nearest Seiko replacement.

Seiko SQ200

At the bottom right hand corner of the web page there's

1. Sound Sample Comparisons link
2. Specification link
3. The user manual Pdf.

What do you think of it's specification?

thereshopeyet

Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:39 pm

Hello Neil

I dropped Seiko an email to ask what Metronome replaces the obsolete SQ 100-77.

In their reply they advised the SQ200 would be the nearest Seiko replacement.

Seiko SQ200

At the bottom right hand corner of the web page there's

1. Sound Sample Comparisons link
2. Specification link
3. The user manual Pdf.

What do you think of it's specification?

thereshopeyet

Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:45 pm

Hello Neil

I emailed Seiko and aske what metronome replaces the now obsolete SQ 100-77.

I was advised that the Seiko SQ200 was the nearest to it.

Seiko SQ200 Metronome

At the bottom right of the webpage there's

1. Sound Samples
2. Specification link
3. User Manual Link

I can't see any reference to how loud it might be but there is a volume control.

Dermot

carpet

Sun May 13, 2012 5:17 pm

The iBeat app for iPad. It lets you subdivide the beats as well, and let's you control the bpm in increments of 1. It also has quite a broad array of sounds, which you can alter per beat. For example, beat 1 can be a bass, 2 a snare, 3 a high hat, 4 drumstick click and a range of other sounds too. You can subdivide any beat you like, but only up to triplets. For example, in section B of Judy, if you are learning the first measure, you can subdivide the first two beats into 8th notes and leave the last beat as a quarter note (or whatever it is), or any combination you like. It only goes up to 200 however. You can also accent any beat you like, and you can set it by time signature. Also, it was free as I recall - or as near as dammit!

Chasplaya

Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:56 pm

On subject of metronomes I just thought this might interest folks;

kanefsky

Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:54 pm

Over a year and a half and no one responded to this? :) This section of the forum could be a lot of fun, I'd love to see it get more activity.

As far as hardware metronomes go, my favorite is the Boss DB-90. It has too many features to list here, but my favorite is the graphic-EQ-style sliders that make it super easy to set the volume of the downbeat, quarter notes, eighth notes, triplets, and the master volume independently. It has several different sounds including one that speaks the beat numbers (although that one is pretty annoying). There's a nice jog wheel and tap button which make it super fast and easy to get the tempo you want. There's a backlit LCD with both digital and graphical pendulum-style displays and there are flashing LEDs as well (one color for the downbeat, a different color for the other beats). You can plug in headphones (both 1/8" and 1/4"), foot pedals for start/stop or changing presets, and there's even MIDI input.

Of course, one has to question whether it's worth buying a hardware metronome nowadays since there are so many free or very inexpensive metronome apps for smartphones and tablets. Mac/PC software like Garage Band, Pro Tools, and Guitar Pro also all have click tracks, metronomes, and/or drum loops you can practice with.

--
Steve

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic