Metronomes

TGNeil

Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:37 pm

I was recently asked what metronomes I might recommend for students and realized that I am not up on the latest and greatest (on many things outside of metronomes as well). I understand that the one I use in videos is discontinued. It is a Seiko SQ 100-77. I would guess that there are similar current models, probably much less expensive than this was many years ago, that have most of the same features. Hopefully some of our members or visitors can suggest some of their favorites.

Here are the features I liked about it many years ago-

Multiple sounds- one is standard electronic blip, which I never use, and the other is more of a wood block sound.
Dial the speed in 1-beat increments, some only let you do 2 or 4 beat changes.
Set the number of beats in a measure from 0-9, using a different sound for beat 1.
Subdivisions of beats into eighths, sixteenths, triplets, and a few combinations.
Volume control, plus earphone out.
LED series of 8 lights imitating the pendulum motion the old Seth Thomas had, available without sound.
It also will generate a couple of pitches, A and Bb, based on a range of standard frequencies 438-446 plus 415 (Baroque standard), which I have not really ever used.

I still have two of these and am glad I hung on to them. They were over $100 new as I recall.

What is out there now that is similar, or what do you have experience with that you could recommend or not recommend?

Thanks,

Neil

Chasplaya

Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:42 pm

This my go to nome!

Korg MA-30 - The Newly Designed and Innovative Electronic Metronome from Korg!
The MA-30 is the latest digital metronome from Korg's innovative line,, packed with new features like volume control and sophisticated rhythms such as triplets and quadruplets, with inner beats omitted.

Features:

Highly visual liquid crystal pendulum

13 different rhythms are built-in to this electronic metronome so you can practice to more than just a click track

Rhythms include duplets, triplets, triplets with inner beats omitted, quadruplets, and quadruplets with inner beats omitted are programmed into this digital metronome

Portable metronome with twelve reference pitches (C4 -B4) for you to tune to

Adjustable calibration (438-445 Hz)

Adjustable volume

Tempo adjusts from 40 - 208 bpm

Tap function for setting the tempo of this digital metronome

Earphone jack so only you can hear the sounds of the digital metronome

Memory backup function

Approximately 250 hours of continuous digital metronome use

Dimensions: 4.09(W) x 2.52(D)x 0.59 (H) in

Weight .17 lbs. (including batteries)

Chasplaya

Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:47 pm

My go to nome:

The MA-30 is the latest digital metronome from Korg's innovative line,, packed with new features like volume control and sophisticated rhythms such as triplets and quadruplets, with inner beats omitted.

Features:

13 different rhythms are built-in to this electronic metronome so you can practice to more than just a click track

Rhythms include duplets, triplets, triplets with inner beats omitted, quadruplets, and quadruplets with inner beats omitted are programmed into this digital metronome

Adjustable volume

Memory backup function

Chasplaya

Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:48 pm

My go to metronome

Features:

Adjustable volume

Memory backup function

Max

Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:18 pm

"Guitar ToolKit" for the iPad:
It has a:
Chromatic Tuner
Chord, Scale & Arpeggio Finders
Metronome
Custom Tunings
Interactive Chord Sheets

[bThe ]Metronome:[/b] It's a precise metronome with a visible flash option, tempo tap pad, & 25 sound effects, and 22 time signatures.
Some of the sounds it can produce are: Congas, Triangles, Scratches, Kick Drum, Snare Drum,Crash Cymbals, even the Dreaded Cow Bell, and of course the basic TickTock

I think the price was about $7.00

Max

Max

Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:18 pm

It has a:
Chromatic Tuner
Metronome
Custom Tunings
Interactive Chord Sheets

[bThe ]Metronome:[/b] It's a precise metronome with a visible flash option, tempo tap pad, & 25 sound effects, and 22 time signatures.
Some of the sounds it can produce are: Congas, Triangles, Scratches, Kick Drum, Snare Drum,Crash Cymbals, even the Dreaded Cow Bell, and of course the basic TickTock

Max

Max

Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:21 pm

It has a:
Chromatic Tuner
Metronome
Custom Tunings
Interactive Chord Sheets

Max

wrench

Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:23 pm

I'm a big fan of the Korg TM-40 metronome - tuner combo. It is full featured, costs about $30, and gets great mileage on the batteries. I need to change batteries about once per year. The only feature it lacks for me is a backlight.

http://www.korg.com/tm40.

Max

Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:45 pm

I have been using Guitar ToolKit for the iPad.

The metronome:
Has a visible flash option, tempo tap pad, 25 sound effects and 22 time signatures.
Some of the sound effects are: Congas, Snare Drum, Kick Drum, Crash Cymbals, Shakers, The Dreaded Cow Bell, and many more.

But That's not all folks, (sorry I couldn't resist) it's also a:
Chromatic Tuner, comes with a wide range of alternate tunings, and support for 6, 7 and 12-string guitar, 4, 5 and 6-string bass, banjo, mandolin, and ukulele.
Custom Tunings, create your own (Way beyond me).

I think I paid about $7.00 US dollars

Max

jimcjimc

Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:57 pm

I don't use a metronome very often, but when I do, I use: http://www.metronomeonline.com/

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic