my new favorite acoustic strings

dennisg

Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:45 pm

hey everyone,

i recently was exposed to the world of john pearse phospher bronze strings. i was really surprised at the tonality immediately.

if you haven't tried them check them out one of these days. i know guitar center has them as well as many other dealers. i love the difference in clarity and tone i now experience in my playing by using these strings.

i don't have a high end acoustic at the moment. my only acoustic is a seagull s6 cedar. i love the guitar but the right string match always seemed to be what was lacking. i really think i found a great match with the 12 guage i just put on the guitar. really shines fingerstyle now with the string change.

i just thought i'd share an experience and mention it to people who may not have tried them.they don't get the advertising push that other strings get. they are a very high quality string and very affordable for the quality.

i'd love to hear other people having great new experiences with quality strings. its so important to me to find that right tone. i love them. good luck everyone

tom

neverfoundthetime

Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:02 pm

Can we listen to them somewhere Tommy?

neverfoundthetime

Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:49 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Can we listen to them somewhere Tommy?
i don't have any video capability here. i'll search the internet and see if i see a link anywhere.

willem

Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:55 pm

here is a clip showcasing the strings. please keep in mind this is not me. its a video off the internet. i did find a lot of good non video reviews of these strings on the internet also.

also the creator of the video is playing a taylor. i have a seagull s6 with a cedar top so i get a little warmer tone.

neverfoundthetime

Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:01 pm

..sure does sound good....

neverfoundthetime

Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:08 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
..sure does sound good....
of course they will vary greatly on each guitar, and as with everything it's personal taste, but i thought i'd throw it out there for people who may not be familiar with the john pearse phosphor bronze strings.i'm happy with them.

happy playing.

tom

dennisg

Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:28 pm

Tommy,

I totally agree that it's all a matter of personal taste combined with what works best for a specific guitar. I've tried all the phosphor/bronze strings on my Taylor 814, and the string that sounds best is DR Rare. It does a beautiful job of darkening up the bass strings while leaving the brightness of the treble strings alone. But I wouldn't use phosphor/bronzes on a guitar that's dark to begin with. For example, my Taylor 12-fret sounds best with Elixer 80/20's. If I had a Martin, which has a dark tone -- and especially a Martin 12-fret -- I'd stay as far away from phosphor/bronzes as I could. But that's just me and my own preferences.

dekotaj

Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:39 pm

Hey Tom,Thanks.

Got to go with Dennis on the Martin's,I play a Aura Martin.phosphor/bronzes a little to much.

But I do have a Guild CE40 Cedar top.And I will get a set next time I'm over at guitar center and try them.Let you know.

Kevin

AndyT

Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:19 pm

I use Elixir nanoweb size 12-54.
Uncoated strings last me a couple of hours at best. Not really sure why since my hands don't really sweat that much.

buddy

Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:54 am

Good topic, I switched to Earnie Ball strings about a year ago from the Eilixirs. I really like the sound of the Earnie Ball strings and they seem to last a long time based upon how much I play them. Hear is a link to the ones I am using now. At about $5 per set you get a lot of bang for your buck.

Bud

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor ... 2000000000

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic