Private lesson

thedancer

Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:02 am

I have been on TG for over a year now and I am improving, however, after watching Neil give Fred a private lesson I decided to book a private lesson with a local guitar teacher. She teaches music at a local collage. I have a 2 hour lesson today at her home .

Dancer

chacho

Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:13 am

Hi Dancer
I've never had a private lesson and have only used online lessons to try and learn guitar ( slow process for me).
I would be very interested in how you get on.
Keep us posted on your experience and hopefully you will find it worthwhile.

Cheers Chacho

tombo1230

Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:58 am

chacho wrote:
Hi Dancer
I've never had a private lesson and have only used online lessons to try and learn guitar ( slow process for me).

Cheers Chacho
Hi, just thought I would throw in my twopence worth here. 14 years ago I took lessons for about a year and a half until my teacher moved away. I hope that wasn't my bad playing lol. Anyway, what I learned mostly was some good theory and how to efficiently practice. I was a beginner at this stage. I learned some classical and fingerstyle guitar playing and have enjoyed playing this style more or less since, with a layoff due to career pressures for a few years. I really only learned to strum taking online lessons and from this site. So if you take lessons from a teacher expect to be taught good habits. I hear Neil echoing all of the things that my teacher said to me, like use a metronome, play slowly, speed comes once you can play the tune clean, be efficient or economical when placing fingers down and a whole lot more.

Another advantage to having a teacher is you can play songs together and you have instant feedback. The skills I picked up mean that I get the most out of the lessons here on site. I also know that if I get stuck or find something difficult, that with perseverance I will get there.

Hope this is useful.

Tom N.

willem

Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:18 am

tombo1230 wrote:
chacho wrote:
Hi Dancer

Cheers Chacho
Hi, just thought I would throw in my twopence worth here. 14 years ago I took lessons for about a year and a half until my teacher moved away. I hope that wasn't my bad playing lol. Anyway, what I learned mostly was some good theory and how to efficiently practice. I was a beginner at this stage. I learned some classical and fingerstyle guitar playing and have enjoyed playing this style more or less since, with a layoff due to career pressures for a few years. I really only learned to strum taking online lessons and from this site. So if you take lessons from a teacher expect to be taught good habits. I hear Neil echoing all of the things that my teacher said to me, like use a metronome, play slowly, speed comes once you can play the tune clean, be efficient or economical when placing fingers down and a whole lot more.

Another advantage to having a teacher is you can play songs together and you have instant feedback. The skills I picked up mean that I get the most out of the lessons here on site. I also know that if I get stuck or find something difficult, that with perseverance I will get there.

Hope this is useful.

Tom N.
Now with the knowledge from this site I wish i had filmed my private lessons..The problem I had was that when i was home after the lesson I forgot so much..

thedancer

Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:38 pm

Hi Chacho ,Tombo, and Willem

It was everything I hoped it would be. We spent the first part on my aims, goals and objectives. She took notes .she then asked me to play my guitar. She took notes. She asked me some theory questions. She took notes. She then asked me how much time I was prepared to put into my daily practice. She took notes. She then took a few minutes to write out what I needed to achieve before I had my next lesson. She estimated that it should take about three to four weeks to achieve this, so I have agreed to have my next lesson in four weeks time. She will then assess my success and set me a new challenge. We then spent the rest of the lesson on each part of my practice sessions to make sure I completely understood. I think between TG and my private lessons I can now see a day when I can really enjoy playing my guitar.

Dancer

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic