General Update

dsmarion

Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:35 pm

Since I have been pretty scarce around here of late I thought it was time I gave you all an update.

First, the thumb problem. This had literally stopped me in my tracks these last couple months and is probably the main reason I have not been around much. Very depressing not to be able to play anything comfortably because of pain. Because I couldn't play and have fun I haven't even wanted to be around here much either. I do have some good news to report though. I am still waiting until the middle of May for my first appointment with the "hand" guy - it's like trying to get tickets to see someone famous. But my family doctor did kindly take an x-ray and prescribed some steroids which have helped greatly. The steroids are a very short-term solution but they will get me through until I see the hand guy. Not only can I finally play a little bit without pain I can also swing a golf club (I tried that this morning because my golf league starts in 2 weeks). I also have a billiards state tourney at the end of this month and having the thumb on my bridge hand be in better shape for that will be nice (playing singles 8-ball, 9-ball and the team tourney in Battle Creek, MI April 26-29th - anyone live near there?).

Secondly I wanted to give you an update on the quitting smoking journey. I am very happy to report that I started taking the Chantix back in February and did stop smoking on schedule after one week as prescribed. That worked very well, so well in fact that I only took the Chantix for 5 weeks total and decided I did not need to keep taking it for the 90 days. I am a non-smoker now and I am so happy (my mother is ecstatic about this). Woot!

Scott

tombo1230

Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:04 pm

dsmarion wrote:
Since I have been pretty scarce around here of late I thought it was time I gave you all an update.

First, the thumb problem. This had literally stopped me in my tracks these last couple months and is probably the main reason I have not been around much. Very depressing not to be able to play anything comfortably because of pain. Because I couldn't play and have fun I haven't even wanted to be around here much either. I do have some good news to report though. I am still waiting until the middle of May for my first appointment with the "hand" guy - it's like trying to get tickets to see someone famous. But my family doctor did kindly take an x-ray and prescribed some steroids which have helped greatly. The steroids are a very short-term solution but they will get me through until I see the hand guy. Not only can I finally play a little bit without pain I can also swing a golf club (I tried that this morning because my golf league starts in 2 weeks). I also have a billiards state tourney at the end of this month and having the thumb on my bridge hand be in better shape for that will be nice (playing singles 8-ball, 9-ball and the team tourney in Battle Creek, MI April 26-29th - anyone live near there?).

Secondly I wanted to give you an update on the quitting smoking journey. I am very happy to report that I started taking the Chantix back in February and did stop smoking on schedule after one week as prescribed. That worked very well, so well in fact that I only took the Chantix for 5 weeks total and decided I did not need to keep taking it for the 90 days. I am a non-smoker now and I am so happy (my mother is ecstatic about this). Woot!

Scott
Hi Scott,
injuries are no fun at all especially if they stop you partaking of your favourite sport or/and hobbies, I know, I've been there recently with my torn bicep, which is now fully mended thankfully. I'm glad you have made some progress recently, as it is frustrating when you are limited in this way. Hopefully the hand guy will have a more permanent solution or fix for you. It looks like you have a full card of activities ahead of you.

Good luck and just be patient, I know......easier said than done!

Almost forgot...........Well done quiting the cigarettes, that should add a few more years to your life expectancy! A real result giving them up!

Cheers,

Tom N.

lueders

Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:45 pm

Hey Scott,

I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya, man...for when you meet "Mr. Bigtime" All in all it, it sounds like you've got mostly good news to report.
Wow, billiards, golf, keyboard, guitar...man u sure are an active fella.

Best of luck, Scott

Cori

cosmicmechanic

Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:20 pm

Hmmm ... a sore thumb and a recently severed oral fixation ...

I guess the challenge now is to avoid replacing the cigarettes with the thumb (not too elegant on the golf course).

Sometimes it takes a while, but our bodies can overcome many persistent ailments if we don't give up on them.

Here's wishing things regenerate where they should for you, Scott. Just a bit of patience, I hope.

Pierre

sbutler

Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:53 pm

Hope the hand/thumb thing turns out good for you. Its a little scary, but hope for the best. I've had both wrists, left elbow, left thumb worked worked on, as well as two rotator cuff procedures, and I'm proof positive that if your follow your rehab instructions, you can overcome most anything.

AND with the money your saving on smokes, you'll be able to get a new guitar within a few months. How about that.

Scott

abiliog

Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:38 am

Hi Scott,
Middle of May is just around the corner. Be patient, in no time you will be playing again.
Congratulations on quitting the cigarettes. You have more time now to play the guitar. Great move.
Welcome to the non smokers team. It's good to have you back :) .
Abilio

neverfoundthetime

Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:16 am

Hearty congratulations on kicking the smoking habit Scott! That's a big deal and well worth celebrating... just not with a big cigar! :) It sounds like you really need that thumb in working order so best of luck with treatment and recovery!

AcousticAl

Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:43 am

Hey there Scott,

Good to see you again and nice to hear your progress on both fronts. Illness is never fun.. But it's especially cruel when it keeps you from doing something you love.

Here's to continued progress and playing!!

willem

Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:41 am

Hi Scott,,thanks for the update i was a bit worried 'cos you were a bit quite on both fronts not that we have to be loud!!! but.

I wish you all the best on recovering very well and can enjoy all the things you like with 100 % .

W.

BobR

Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:44 am

Hi Scott,

Glad to hear from you, but sorry to hear about your thumb. I hope everything works out for you on all fronts, guitar, golf and pool.

Good luck and that's great you've quit the smoking habit.

Bob

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic