A few tunes well...or heaps poorly?

neverfoundthetime

Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:00 am

I'm lucky that my main focus isn't playing the guitar but performing the songs hoping to get the singing and the whole performance to a respectable level. So I play lots of songs often, admittedly most of mine are at camp-fire level but they all start to improve after a while as the strumming on one song can be used for another and bits I have learned can be transported and incorporated in many songs. The practice of performance pays off in all songs. I have never met anyone who plays lots of songs badly without playing quite a few really well. I do know folks who can just play riffs and bits of songs but not many whole songs.

Every now and then, a song will grab me and it won't let me go and I'll play it endlessly for hours and days, Question was an example of this. Or there will be a riff I need to learn or a technique I want to improve, then I'll do that ad infinitum. Any time spent with the guitar is profitable time so no worries Tony, but I'd spend more time playing songs you've already learned to keep them alive and have some fun!

willem

Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:54 am

I practice,,practice and practise,,why?? well to get songs down,,and I have a lot of fun,, I am really a bit guy,,when there is a new lesson published i always look in it and wanna know what Neil try us to learn,,of course I play and learn a few songs the whole way and try to keep them fresh but that is only for the friends nights that we do so now and then,,,when we had those nights it was only campfire way but more and more we wanna do it in a band way wich is two guitar parts,,other instruments,harmonie singin etc,,, I must also say that i have much fun in practicing and come more and more to the knowledge were to look at to do it really in the best way such as finger placements etc...enough rambling 'cos i wanna have some fun..

Willem

AndyT

Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:44 am

I have pretty much the same answer on this one I gave before.

I play everything at campfire level and slowly over time build it into something respectable.
Every little bit of something I learn goes into the mix. Eventually, songs begin to mature into some serious performance pieces. Eventually.....

tovo

Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:59 am

I think "both" is indeed the ideal. I do also think that the difficulty level of tunes is a factor. If I just focus on 3-4 chord tunes (and I am certainly not suggesting there is something wrong with that approach) then it wouldn't be such a problem but I am keen to learn the more complex tunes well.

Thanks for considered responses.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic