A few tunes well...or heaps poorly?

tovo

Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:42 pm

We all practice differently, that's something I have learned through many good discussions with players of all standards here on TG.

My method is to stubbornly play a tune pretty much exclusively until I feel I have it. If anything, my stubbornness is stronger now, and I have been working on the same couple of tunes for perhaps 3 months pretty much to the exclusion of all else.

While I do that, I worry that I am restricting myself. I worry that the other tunes I have taken the time to learn will gradually fade from my memory. I recall discussing the issue with Dennis who told me he regularly plays everything he knows (which must take a while!) so that he doesn't forget.

While I feel I could benefit from that approach and have tried to incorporate it, I worry (I worry a lot) that I risk becoming the type of player who knows bits and pieces of lots of tunes. I think there are many such players.

So I was wondering, a few tunes really well or lots of tunes just OK? It actually seems easier for professionals who have their own set list to learn and play over and over.

Then I look at Neil who plays everything so damn well and I see that it is possible...perhaps just for the extremely talented few.

Is there a question in there to be answered? Perhaps not, but I thought someone might have some thoughts on the subject.

Now back to practice....

tombo1230

Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:01 pm

Hi Tony,
I'm sure this is a problem most guitar players face. Why not take one day a week and play only songs/tunes that you aren't currently learning, songs you have learned but aren't in your practice regime at present. You will have the benefit of having a break from the routine and should manage to keep your old songs going.

Tom N.

dennisg

Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:15 pm

If I'm remembering correctly, what I said was that, over the course of a week, I'll end up playing everything I know -- just to keep it fresh. In my mind, the question in your thread title is built on the assumption that it's one thing or the other and doesn't allow for the possibility that even a mediocre player like me can learn to play lots of songs really well. No, not right away. But if you stick to it, you can learn to play one song really well. Then keep playing that song while you learn to play another really well. Then add to it. But if you abandon songs in order to learn others, you'll be very good at the current songs and pretty crappy at the ones you've forgotten.

tovo

Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:32 pm

That's a great summary of my issue Dennis. Great at what I am currently working on and pretty crappy at the others! :)

schm040

Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:45 pm

Tony,

Great inquiry.

I used to try to learn just one song or two at a time, but after TG came along, I decided to try to play just about everything I could, using as many styles as I could.

I have found this method to be best for me right now.

As for forgetting bits and pieces, I am a strong believer that your mind will start to remember songs that you haven't played in a while just because so many songs are so closely related.

That happened to me just the other day, I totally remembered a chord progression to a song I hadn't played in over six months!!!

Long story short, I play as much as I can and of course play the ones I like the most more often.

Matt

mark

Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:39 pm

For me it's important to maintain the songs I know.
So I try and play through them as regularly as I can.

I think the worst position a guitarist can get themselves in is to
Know many songs and play them all badly.
In those cases (which isn't your case tony) they really need
To go back to basics and concentrate on making one or two
Songs sound good

buddy

Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:54 pm

Howdy Tony, been missing the big green machine around here. This is a great question or questions. I can't speak for others, but for myself, I try to keep this balanced out. I go back through a few old songs every day even when working on a new one. I tend to work on new songs that I just really like while at the same time exerting some discipline to work on songs that raise my competency as a player. For me, if guitar is all work and no play, then I don't stay very motivated to practice and play. This sort of keeps me balanced between the fun side of music and also the hard work side of learning to be an improved player.

beaker

Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:20 pm

It's a false dilemma, Lot's of songs well.

Lavallee

Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:30 pm

HI Tony, good to hear from you. I personally have sequence of playing all the songs I know then back to a few intense ones ignoring everything else. I agree with the idea of re-visiting your old work. it is gratifying when you struggle with new songs. "Yeah , I can do it" , sounds good in our head after a good old one that you have mastered and even takes liberties while playing it. I do try to play the whole song or at least all the parts, just in case I have the chance to play with somebody else.

Marc

michelew

Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:51 am

Hi Tony,

A couple of great friends, one in particular, have told me that you need to just play as well as practice. Wise words.

Sometimes I forget why I started learning guitar, which was to be able to replicate the exciting and beautiful music I'd heard, connect with people through music and for the sheer fun of it (amongst other things). Sometimes, too often, I fall into the trap of just practicing a couple of songs over and over to get them down "properly" (and maybe post eventually). I forget that I'm learning not only because I find it rewarding when I make progress, but because I do want to play for the enjoyment of it. I'm bad at returning to songs I've learned and keeping them fresh. I need to do that more.

So I guess I'm saying that left to my natural tendencies I'll play a couple of songs at infinitum until they are learned "properly", but I doubt that that's really where the fun is and I'd like to change the balance and play for fun more.

So I agree with Dennis. Why not BOTH?

Shel

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic