Constant companion or daily fling?

AcousticAl

Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:10 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
tovo wrote:
Do you pick your guitar up often during the day and play for a few minutes at a time, or is it one long session each day and then back in the case?
At present its neither, and I can't explain why I have gone off the 'boil', it pretty random these days, I currently work weird hours as my Boss has no clues about rostering I finish late start early kinda thing regularly, stuffs up the circadian rhythms or something like that. I just am unable to fit a routine around the random hours I am working its very frustrating. I haven't even managed to set up my guitar room properly yet!!!

Don't let it go too long, Chas.
It's kind of like working out. Leave it too long and you don't go back.

I don't work out anymore.

suziko

Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:33 pm

Good question, Tony, and I'm enjoying reading others' responses. As for me, I am mostly a "chunks at a time" kind of person. It's not my habit to grab my guitar at random moments and noodle around. I'll usually find a time during the day and then practice for somewhere between 15 minutes to 2 hours. Of course I prefer to shoot for the higher number, but that doesn't always work out for various reasons. Once in a while I'll leave my guitar sitting out on the couch, and I'll grab it and play a bit while checking the internet. But I guess in general I prefer a more focused, non-distracted kind of practicing.

tovo

Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:53 pm

suziko wrote:
I'm enjoying reading others' responses.
Me too Suzi.

sbutler

Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:52 pm

I take it any way I can get it. I do find however, that when I'm working on really difficult stuff, (Classical Gas, Sleight of hand) I'm better off just spending a few minutes with the measures that really trip me up, then leave them alone for a few days. When I shelf them, I work on detailed picking songs. From the Beginning (ELP) or Maybe the new Donovan stuff that Neil just posted. But I will almost always find some time everyday to make sure my fingers touch my Taylor.

Scott

michelew

Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:24 am

At the moment...neither. I haven't played since going on a lovely trip (followed by a bang, crash and flying tuning pegs) with my Larrivee. She's getting surgery. My classical is safely in the cupboard where I'm unable to trip over her. But, that doesn't make for much music making. Basically, I find if my guitar is not out then it doesn't get played.

There's no chance to play during week days, so I tend to play when I have some free time of an evening. It would be nice to be able to pick it up many times during the day, but that only happens on holidays and the weekend as I said.

So when my steel string is back, I hope to make it a daily fling again, then back on the stand. They are so pretty to look at too that I prefer them out of their cases.

M.

Chasplaya

Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:42 am

michelew wrote:
[quoteThey are so pretty to look at too that I prefer them out of their cases.

M.[/quote]

HI all the main reasons I have them all on guitar wall mounted hangers, in a controlled Humidity room I might add, it is Auckland after all humidity capitol of the world lol

Chasplaya

Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:44 am

Chasplaya wrote:
tovo wrote:
Do you pick your guitar up often during the day and play for a few minutes at a time, or is it one long session each day and then back in the case?
At present its neither, and I can't explain why I have gone off the 'boil', it pretty random these days, I currently work weird hours as my Boss has no clues about rostering I finish late start early kinda thing regularly, stuffs up the circadian rhythms or something like that. I just am unable to fit a routine around the random hours I am working its very frustrating. I haven't even managed to set up my guitar room properly yet!!!
Slight correction I have at least put-up the guitar hangers in the room..

schm040

Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:10 am

Mornings about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes

Evenings about 1 to 2 hours

Weekends after a few beers..........until my honey says "stop!!!!!!!!!!!!"

:)

jayswett

Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:54 am

Sadly, it's the former for me. I'd rather spend a good hour daily, but that's just too hard to do. 5-10 minutes at a time, several times a day is about all I do regularly. Today, a rain, cool Sunday, would be a good day to spend an hour or two learning something new. Or perhaps, getting a video ready to post is a better idea. I've been wanting to do that for weeks now.

willem

Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:21 pm

Hmmm......first of all, all my guitars are around me, that is around my desk, since I want to be able to pick them up any time I want to. Secondly, I work at home and my job is guitar-related.....so yeah, it makes it really easy to play it every day, which I love. Sometimes dozens of times a day for just a little while, sometimes several times a day for a long while. Often to just play and have fun, sometimes to practice something new, sometimes to refresh stuff, sometimes to figure out a particular song.....and so on.

In any way, there is no plan, no particular routine and certainly no case that I put my guitars in. They need to be right by my side, right there to be picked up for whatever I might play any time of the day. If I need to actually reach for it, I'm already annoyed, haha! :lol:

Ness

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic