Best way to buy a Taylor?

AndyT

Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:43 pm

Cool video. Thanks for posting it.

dburns99

Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:59 pm

Catman wrote:
dburns99 wrote:
Thank you. That's pretty much what I've been saying all along but somehow I get branded a Taylor-basher :)
Well, actually, no--it's not what you've been saying all along. When somebody (me) said that Taylors are good, but so are other guitars, you put up a video bashing Taylors. That's probably what got you branded a Taylor basher. Then you recanted bit by bit. "No, they're not really crap...", "no they're not actually overpriced...", it's all in the thread above. We may be old around here, but we're not senile (yet).
Would you expect anything less from a "less-experienced and least-knowledgeable player" ? :)

It's dead now....you can quit kicking it.

dekotaj

Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:54 pm

Hey Jay,Heck of a thread you got going here.

A Taylor huh.You no I play a Martin dc aura.Love the sound of the rose wood.With a low oval neck.

I also have and play a Guild ce 40.Its a mahogany solid body guitar.Very loud guitar.with a low profile neck.A very easy guitar to play.

I also play a G sires Takamine,Santa fa model.Not the sound of my Martin or the playability of the Guild.But my first guitar when I started back playing.So it also was the less expensive of all.But the strings or not held on with pins.They pull through the bridge.I love this bridge.

So if I was to buy a new guitar.And I just might sell all three.Who need three 6 string big body guitars.I would find one with a great tone wood,with a neck that has great playability.And a bridge like the Tak.

So the heck with the name on the head stock.That don't make the guitar sound or play any better.So if Taylor is the name on the head stock you want.Find what you like from each model.Then look for one with all those things.If you can't find one with all the options you want.Order one.I well bet Taylor,has all the option you well ever want.

Kev.
PS I would LOVE to play Tovo guitar.Just would like to no if it plays as nice as it looks.Gorgeous looking Guitar!!!

tovo

Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:11 am

dekotaj wrote:

Kev.
PS I would LOVE to play Tovo guitar.Just would like to no if it plays as nice as it looks.Gorgeous looking Guitar!!!
Kev I have had it for a little while now and it just keeps getting better. You would be welcome to play it but it's a hell of a trip to my place for you!

I still play guitars in stores when I get chance and I've yet to find anything that feels better to me. Of course everyone is different but I can't imagine Jay not finding his dream Taylor. Good luck man.

dekotaj

Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:49 am

tovo wrote:
Kev I have had it for a little while now and it just keeps getting better. You would be welcome to play it but it's a hell of a trip to my place for you!

I was thinking of taking a swim!!!!So put a beer on ice,a cow on the grill.

So lets see,I start walking to California.That is about 3000 miles.A swim to down under( Hell cant be that far)Maybe I could catch a ride with a whale part way.The more I think about it.This could take more than a couple of hours.So drink that beer before it gets cold,eat the cow,and play that Gorgeous looking Guitar.And hell who knows,just might get there someday.

Kev

jimcjimc

Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:06 pm

Hi Jay,

Here is a nice looking taylor:

BobR

Wed May 09, 2012 7:48 pm

Hi Jay,

I was just checking my email and spotted this. You probably have already seen it but just in case you haven't

Bob Image

jayswett

Thu May 10, 2012 3:45 am

Thanks Bob. I wouldn't mind taking a trip to Nashua next Thursday.

jayswett

Thu May 10, 2012 4:59 am

suziko wrote:
I'm a big believer in supporting local music stores, so I'd encourage you to hunt around your area and see what shops sell Taylor guitars. Like Dennis said, they won't carry every guitar in the Taylor line, but hopefully they'll have a few different types to try out. I know my guitar shop can also order guitars from Taylor, but of course you'd be buying it without playing it first. I might end up doing that with the GS Mini Mahogany, in fact, if they don't get one in soon. I've played the regular GS Mini and loved the size of it, and I love the sound of Mahogany, so I'm pretty certain I'll like it. I have also built up enough of a relationship with the guys at my guitar shop that if, for some reason, I HATED the guitar, I'm pretty sure they'd do their best to try to help me out.

Suzi
Hi Jay,

I don't know if you pulled the trigger yet on buying a Taylor. I was trying the Taylor's at my local Guitar Center. Lots to choose from, and wide range of prices. If already mentioned check out your local listings in Craigslist. I see all kinds offered, and you will probably save substantially over retail price.

I think Suzi has the right idea. I thought I wanted a Taylor until I played a Collins. Now that is on my wish list. I wasn't even aware of that maker before I walked into my local acoustic guitar shop. When the right instrument is in your hands you will know it, and you will buy it. Good luck.

cjhayes

Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:30 pm

I have to agree with the initial response. Visit the factory in El Cajon. Of course, it is easy for me as I live basically down, or up, the street from them. The factory tour is so cool. I have done it several times. The factory store has an ever rotating selection of demos for sale at great prices. You can even buy a t-shirt saying "I visited the Taylor Factory and saw Bob," Although I have never purchased such a t-shirt as I have never seen Bob, though I have seen Kurt's 911 GT3. Great guitars!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic