Best way to buy a Taylor?

suziko

Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:27 am

Well-said, Dennis.

jayswett

Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:12 am

Thanks Daryl. Cool website. This shop has promise.

wiley

Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:38 am

dburns99

Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:25 am

*chuckles to himself as he gives the pot another stir

MarkM

Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:58 am

Jay,

I hope all is well. I sent you an email on this topic earlier today. I haven't been on the forums much lately as I've been just so busy with little time. This particular thread got my attention. Not wanting to have my first post back be "bitchy" I just figured we'd discuss this offline if you wish. At the risk of prolonging this thread I'll just say personal prefferences are personal prefferences when it comes to guitars, tone, craftsmanship, etc. However it all means squat if the person isn't happy with their playing ability and sound they are hearing. If you go out and check out as many makes and models as you can you'll get the good sense of what you want. You and most folks here who know me will have a pretty good guess as to what my preferences are. Do what makes you happy and take everyones opinions with a grain of salt. Checking the calendar, you have a great opportunity get the edjucation you need over the next few months in your area. Also that shop in Lexingon MA is great. I bought one of my guitars there. Again, my opinion, so you'll have to judge from yourself. Good luck and have fun with the process!!!

MarkM

Chasplaya

Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:55 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
I always enjoy a good guitar wars thread, especially with so many Taylor and Martin fans around ;) .

I'm just as impressed by a name as anyone and Taylors and Martins are great guitars but my dream guitar is going to sound right, play right, feel right, look right, impress me with the workmanship and with all the beautiful woods its made of and ... then I'm going to check what brand name is on the headstock. That's the way, ah ha, ah ha, I like it!
:)
and it'll be a Cole Clark... :laugh:

AndyT

Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:31 am

If you're in love with the idea of getting a Taylor, then you need to forget about buying a guitar.
Take the time to go and play everything you can find. Keep notes and what you like.

Shape of neck,
Woods,
Material of nut and saddle,
Type of strings,
Age,
How easy does it play,
high and low end of the sound,

Add anything else that strikes you about the guitar as you play it.
After you go back and look at your notes, you'll know which one to buy.

I happen to love my Takamine and Martin is a very close second, but that's because I happen to really love the way they are made. I also happen to be really impressed with a Babicz Identity Acoustic. It's probably the most impressive sounding 6 string I've ever played. It has the overtones of a 12 string. Damn fine guitar. I'm saving for one now. It will be my next guitar as long as the world doesn't end before I get the cash....

Check it out;
http://babiczguitars.com/new-dreadnought-sunburst.htm

neverfoundthetime

Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:56 am

It will be my next guitar as long as the world doesn't end before I get the cash....
... the world will end if you get to 4444 posts Andy... don't press the button (runs for cover...)!

willem

Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:08 am

AndyT wrote:
If you're in love with the idea of getting a Taylor, then you need to forget about buying a guitar.
Take the time to go and play everything you can find. Keep notes and what you like.

Shape of neck,
Woods,
Type of strings,
Age,
How easy does it play,

I happen to love my Takamine and Martin is a very close second, but that's because I happen to really love the way they are made. I also happen to be really impressed with a Babicz Identity Acoustic. It's probably the most impressive sounding 6 string I've ever played. It has the overtones of a 12 string. Damn fine guitar. I'm saving for one now. It will be my next guitar as long as the world doesn't end before I get the cash....

Check it out;
http://babiczguitars.com/new-dreadnought-sunburst.htm

What is that with the strings Andy,,never seen that,,it could be A challenGing for TE..

dburns99

Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:41 am

AndyT wrote:

Shape of neck,
Woods,
Type of strings,
Age,
How easy does it play,

Thank you. That's pretty much what I've been saying all along but somehow I get branded a Taylor-basher :)

My Numero Uno guitar is a Takamine as well. It's my go-to guitar. I love my Martin but for different reasons.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic