Best way to buy a Taylor?

dburns99

Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:51 am

AndyT wrote:
I did. Wow that's a pretty radical design...having the strings all fanned out over the soundboard like that. Not pretty but I bet it makes for some pretty funky percussion.

BigBear

Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:25 pm

dennisg wrote:
They told the Ma and Pa guitar shops that if they didn't sell the Taylor electric line, the "T" guitars, they couldn't have their acoustic line. Basically, wiped out Taylor from the small shops and put many of them out of business as Taylor became more popular and "other" brands lost popularity.

Taylor is a huge manufacturer so all their acoustics went box retailers like Guitar Center, Musician's Friend, even Best Buy.

I found the above quote incredible, so I decided to do some fact checking. According to Taylor's web site, Taylor acoustic guitars are available at 454 independent dealer locations in the U.S., and of those only 129 carry Taylor electrics. And this doesn't even include the hundreds of Guitar Centers and Sam Ashes.

Dennis- I got that info from three very reputable guitar shops in Portland, a couple were what you'd call big ma and pa's and the other a very good small shop. Two of which I bought one of my Taylor guitars at!! I could be wrong but all three carried Taylors. Now none of them do and all for the same stated reason. All three wished they still had Taylor because it is a hot selling guitar and there really is nothing in the market that is comparable.

I guess they could all be liars but frankly a couple of the guys I know well and respect and they would have no reason to lie to me. I guess my other thought would be of course Taylor isn't going to admit to doing something like that to their dealers.

I also think it may have had more to do with volume than electric guitars. Taylor cranks out over 30,000 guitars a year, maybe more now. I suspect the ma and pa's couldn't move enough guitars to keep up with Taylor's production but you'd have to wonder why they would pull product from so many small dealers. Doesn't make sense to me.

Regardless of the reason, there isn't one small shop in Portland that sells Taylor anymore that I'm aware of. If you want a Taylor in Portland go to Guitar Center or some other big box retailer. Ooops, there is one. Portland Music is the largest music shop in Portland that is not a national chain and they now carry Taylor. They didn't for many years.

BigBear

Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:31 pm

Amen brother! The guy was a hack.

Sorry, that was in response to Wiley's post about the video.

BigBear

Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:37 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
Don't bother with a Taylor its obviously too hard , contacwst Bradley at Cole Clarke's he''l cut you a great deal!

Chas- I think you meant to put this one in Joke thread!! rolf!! :silly:

AndyT

Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:23 am

willem wrote:
What is that with the strings Andy,,never seen that,,it could be A challenGing for TE..[/b]
That would be the lateral compression soundboard. By having the strings like that it adds all kind of extra overtones to the guitar. Gives it an awesome sound.

dburns,

Feel free to bash Taylor. the more of them you break, the more the rest of them will be worth. LOL

I personally never cared for Taylor. The neck just doesn't fit my hand and it's not comfortable for me to play. Other than that, they make great guitars.

Chris,

Well the world is still here. I'm not surprised that you've passed me up in the post count. Between you and Chas it's a wonder Neil gets a word in edgewise around here... LOL

If anyone wants to donate to my new guitar I'll send you the PayPal link... LOL

willem

Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:17 am

Never seen or watched this till now,,looks all good stuff to me..

Catman

Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:12 am

dburns99 wrote:
Thank you. That's pretty much what I've been saying all along but somehow I get branded a Taylor-basher :)
Well, actually, no--it's not what you've been saying all along. When somebody (me) said that Taylors are good, but so are other guitars, you put up a video bashing Taylors. That's probably what got you branded a Taylor basher. Then you recanted bit by bit. "No, they're not really crap...", "no they're not actually overpriced...", it's all in the thread above. We may be old around here, but we're not senile (yet).

AcousticAl

Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:48 am

let sleeping dogs lie, david.

Catman

Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:11 am

AcousticAl wrote:
let sleeping dogs lie, david.
With a handle like mine? :)

AcousticAl

Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:30 am

good one!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic