Rate and explain your addiction

tovo

Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:50 pm

If a 1 represents "Barely interested and thinking of selling my guitar" and a 10 represents "I need to change my strings every week, my bills remain in the letter box and I regularly skip meals in favor of more practice".....then where do YOU sit on my addiction scale?

Rather than just give a number, please explain why you chose that rating.

cosmicmechanic

Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:02 pm

Tony, this looks to be a diabolical idea for a thread ... hehehe ...

And I happen to be presently submerged and digging my way out of managing a mountain of paperwork that has not been done for precisely that reason. Checking TG is like coming up for air from that. As to specifics, my thinking cap is on, be back at ya sometime soon ...

Pierre

suziko

Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:22 pm

Hmmm..... that's a tough one to answer. I play most every day and find myself thinking about playing fairly regularly throughout the day. However, guitar playing is far from my top priority. In fact, I often think I should work harder to rank it above such mundane things as keeping our laundry clean or vacuuming. Unfortunately (or not?) I've got a tidy personality, so that's not likely to happen any time soon.

Anyway, I guess I'll rank myself a 5.

Suzi

dtaylor

Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:29 pm

I'm a 7, I've played every day since I started learning 3 years ago (aside from enforced physical separation from my guitar), have a guitar at work to practice lunchtimes, regularly lose sleep due to practicing when I should be doing preparation for work the next day.
I've stopped physical training to give time for practicing, I feel anxious if things stop me practicing on a given day... I have got an addictive personality btw :)

willem

Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:46 pm

I've alway's been an addictive person when the interest is there I can't get enough information and try it out but in practical since I do not so well it is all in de middle and I think I can blame it on to much,every free second I try and try,, :laugh: I could give me a 10 and maybe it is so,,I really wanna do it less and more on one whole song,,, I would be happy to have a 6.5 and spend the rest on other things in life..

Willem

schm040

Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:33 pm

Well I'm quite a passionate person and very much so when it comes down to my passions ;) .......so that of cóurse goes for playing music...but I'm not sure if I would call it an addiction.. :dry: ....I guess I would indeed call it a passion....maybe that doesn't cut it either....the guitar feels like my right arm, just holding it feels totally natural and comfortable, it's become a part of me......hmmm...maybe I'm losing it afterall..... :silly: :lol:

What number would you give such a person? :unsure:

Ness

tovo

Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:50 pm

nesh16041972 wrote:
Well I'm quite a passionate person and very much so when it comes down to my passions ;) .......so that of cóurse goes for playing music...but I'm not sure if I would call it an addiction.. :dry: ....I guess I would indeed call it a passion....maybe that doesn't cut it either....the guitar feels like my right arm, just holding it feels totally natural and comfortable, it's become a part of me......hmmm...maybe I'm losing it afterall..... :silly: :lol:

What number would you give such a person? :unsure:

Ness
Well maybe a 5. But I know how damn good you are, and along with your talent must have been a hell of a lot of work, so you are probably more like a 7.

neverfoundthetime

Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:04 pm

Willem, as a TG member, you are a 10 (with 4874 posts).

Nesh, you are certainly a 10, they way you just have to be near your guitars ;-).

Me? Hard to put a number on it. I consider my 12 string my favourite possession and the feel of the weight of it in my hands and the vibration in my chest as I play are very physical, tactile things which I never want to do without... and that's not mentioning bathing in the waves of sound it produces... hmmm, maybe a 7.

tovo

Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:12 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Willem, as a TG member, you are a 10 (with 4874 posts).

Nesh, you are certainly a 10, they way you just have to be near your guitars ;-).
I reckon a 10 is someone who plays for several hours each day, cares little or nothing about working, eating, sleeping or any form of recreation other than playing guitar. They talk about little other than music, their friends are ALL musicians...you get the idea. They do exist. Think Jimmy Page, Slash, Tommy etc. Maybe Nesh??

cosmicmechanic

Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:50 pm

Well, I'd eventually like to be able to consider myself an able musician, at least as a guitar player.

That takes a lot of playing, and at what intensity if it's not just wishful thinking ?
That would define the number on your "manic-o-meter", Tony.

A common concept, supposedly based on research, is that it takes about 10,000 hours to become an expert in a field.
I feel that this measure is intellectual posturing by university researchers that need to publish papers in order to get a post-graduate degree.

Plain old common sense says that the longer you do something, the better you get at it, especially if it is complex.

That being said, let's pretend the high-falutin' 10,000 hour figure is a meaningful benchmark.
For example, that could mean practicing 2 hours a day for close to 14 years. Ouch ! I have to aim a bit lower, I guess.

As another measure of proportion, I recently read a biography of Jim Hendrix that gives an impression of how single-minded he was in his playing. He must have been a 15 on your 1 to 10 scale :blink: .
He was rarely without his guitar ... played it everywhere, even in public transit. Went without food and shelter so he could play.
Again, I have to aim a bit lower still.

Keeping in mind that these are not levels of skill, but of obsession:
I'll grade myself a 4 that manages to neglect other things as if he was a 9, and may evolve into a 7.

Pierre

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic