Locally made or Off Shore?

Chasplaya

Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:59 am

OK a previous thread about Taylor's prompted this post. When you look to but a new axe does country of origin figure ? Do you support your own country? Or does it matter to you? Or do ypou go to a country you know your country has a trade agreement with?

This could be a Poll post but might do that later..

dennisg

Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:59 am

Chas,

I'm hoping this thread doesn't start a ranting political debate. I'll just say that the products I buy, including guitars, represent what I believe to be the best values, regardless of country of origin.

neverfoundthetime

Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:10 am

Well, I guess that living in Europe and being able to easily flit through one country to the other without even showing your pass (unless you are flying) gives a slightly different perspective. It would not occur to me to consider the land of origin of a guitar. I'm only interested in the sound, feel, look and quality. It could come from the moon for all I care about land of origin. Maybe if there was a local guitar maker who made beautiful guitars, I may be enticed, but this is Switzerland and I don't know of any Swiss guitars and I shudder at the potential cost of anything hand/precision made in CH (Confederation of Helvetian states).

dtaylor

Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:46 am

I recently bought a guitar from the Czech Republic and did not give a thought to country of origin in the decision making process. If I could have afforded a guitar of similar quality that was locally produced I'd have bought one but there was no competition.

tovo

Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:43 pm

I really like Gretsch guitars which are another iconic US brand although not seemingly as well known as Taylor and Martin (only judging by the few people here who said they weren't aware of the brand). Gretsch has been played by Chet Atkins, George Harrison and Brian Setzer (from Stray Cats fame). Cool hollow-body electrics.

They used to be made in the USA, my understanding is they no longer are. They are made in South Korea (the bottom end) and Japan (top end). They are great quality and I can't tell the difference between bottom and top end. That's the first time I have felt that way, so I bough the Korean made bottom end model and I've been very happy. I did swap out the pickups for a TV Jones model and the improvement in tone is enormous. But Gretsch players generally promote the Japanese built guitars as superior. I find it interesting that usually it's the US built guitars being preferred over the Japanese ones. In Gretsch's case it's Japan over Korea.

On our own Australian brand (Maton) which a lot of our artist support, I concluded long ago that I don't really like the feel. I did find a single custom Maton that I liked but it was like $4500 so I passed. I prefer Taylor so much more, and I'm not going to play something I don't like in order to support local.

coomba

Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:23 pm

If the quality and price are good then I'll buy local every time, hand crafted would be even better,
but out of my price range.

Chasplaya

Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:01 am

coomba wrote:
If the quality and price are good then I'll buy local every time, hand crafted would be even better,
but out of my price range.
I'm much the same, NZ don't have any guitar manufacturers that build in sufficient quantity to be able to sell at competitive prices. There are a few custom builders but out of my price range. However, I believe in supporting home industries first whenever possible

BigBear

Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:05 am

Chas- good question! For me, it's sound, playability (neck), quality and price in that order. I suppose it'd cool if the guitar is made somewhere who's workmanship I respect but that's not mandatory.

I have a Canadian Larrivee L-10 that is just beautiful and has really opened up. It looks and sounds as good as any Taylor I've ever played at least thru the 900 series. But that Larrivee series is now made down by Taylor's plant in Oxnard, California. And they cost as much as Taylor's higher end guitars.

I also really think Seagull's are terrific instruments for the money. Great values. Why more people don't play these really surprises me. Maybe some of our Canuck friends have an opinion on this?

That being said there are some fabulous guitars made here in the USA. Both mass produced and custom. There is something to be said for availablility and access that is appealling at some level. But I live pretty close to Breedlove Guitars, been to the factory but don't like the way they sound so I've never even considered buying a "home town" guitar from them. Probably not fair because they are really pretty.

Finally, look at all the pros who play Taks, "The Road Warrior" guitars. I don't think country of origin means much anymore. At least to me. I want the very best guitar I can get for my money. Or maybe Tony will loan me his wife who let's him get whatever he wants!! Lucky son-of-a gun!!! :silly:

tovo

Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:56 am

BigBear wrote:
Or maybe Tony will loan me his wife who let's him get whatever he wants!! Lucky son-of-a gun!!! :silly:
Lol. Yes I'm very lucky indeed mate. She's not for loan sorry, they don't make many like her and I'm not sharing! :) (She on the other hand would no doubt be quite happy to loan me out permanently!)

dburns99

Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:55 am

BigBear wrote:
[quote
I also really think Seagull's are terrific instruments for the money. Great values. Why more people don't play these really surprises me. Maybe some of our Canuck friends have an opinion on this?

[/quote]

Might have to something to do with them being manufactured in Quebec by Godin guitars. Godin also make Simon & Patrick, Art & Lutherie, and the Norman lines. Although they're nice sounding guitars they're relatively cheap and ubiquitous.....hence they're disappointing re-sale value.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic