Name your awesome-est (Help...grammar check) guitar moment

tovo

Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:16 pm

It could be when you absolutely nailed that 9-rated tune and the only living thing there to see it was your dog. Or it could be when you lay eyes on that most excellent combination of wood and steel and determined on the spot "it will be mine". It could be a concert that will live forever in your memory. Whatever sticks in your mind.

Some of you are like vaults and you must be opened up. Tell us a bit about this experience don't just name it.

schm040

Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:51 pm

Tony et. al.,

I have a lot of them, but recently I was practicing Day Tripper for the gazillionth time, which I hate because I suck with a pick, and after one thousand gazillion times, I finally was able to hit each note in time.

Given that Day Tripper's riff will go down in history as, well, perhaps the greatestest ever, I reached, though fleetingly, guitar awesomeness.......

:)

Matt

willem

Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:27 am

Every second from the moment I started learning the guitar was awesome and knowing that if you keep at it(a tune) its gonna be awesome-est and better every second after it.. B)

Willem

jayswett

Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:50 am

The moment that comes to mind when I read Tony's introductor post to this thread was this:

We had family in town for the holidays a year or so ago. It was morning, and it was time to start gettting peope out of bed, so I started playing my guitar in the living room. My sister in law comes downstairs, gets a cup of coffee from the kitchent, then walks in to the living room. Genuinely surpised to see me sitting there with guitar in hand, she says, "Was that you playing? I thought you had turned on the radio." That was a nice moment.

dennisg

Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:42 pm

jayswett wrote:
Genuinely surpised to see me sitting there with guitar in hand, she says, "Was that you playing? I thought you had turned on the radio." That was a nice moment.
That's a really sweet story, Jay. I'll bet that felt great.

jaslu81

Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:57 pm

Sooooooooo may I name my awesome-est performance-moment then???? ;)

Well AWESOME it was! :woohoo:

I was 15 years old and each year my highschool participated in a contest between the five oldest schools in Holland. It was a contest involving everything that you can think of creatively, painting, writing, speeching, music, emsembles, drawing, whatever. So for that one school acted as a host, since it took all day to get this major event done.

The main and most popular item though, were the 'bands' competing with each other in a large hall, indeed as a sort of concert. In any way, me and a bunch of other kids formed a band for this occasion (11 people!) and I did the leadvocals and played the guitar. We had 15 minutes and three songs to play, 'Play that funky music', 'Brickhouse' and of course 'Jailhouse Rock' ;) (the Blues Brothers arrangement). All students tended to just cheer and applaude for their own band and couldn't care less about the others. So of course we started out with just Amsterdam being very enthusiastic. But thén we got into Jailhouse Rock and by the time that we hit the first chorus, the whole crowd just couldn't sit still anymore, I can still picture it, as one they stood up and started dancing and cheering, I just couldn't believe it :ohmy: :blush:, that was freaking $#%@$#@$#% AWESOME ! Well needless to say, that moment is still marked in my brain and remains as the awesomest performance-moment! :)

Ness

(Oh btw we won the contest between the bands :woohoo: :woohoo: , first time in years that Amsterdam won sómething, hahaha! :silly: :laugh: )

tovo

Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:49 pm

Thanks so much for sharing guys. A couple of very cool recollections there.

dennisg

Tue May 01, 2012 7:55 am

It's an interesting subject for a thread, and I've given it a lot of thought. My conclusion: I'm not sure I've had an awesome moment yet. I've had a couple of good ones though. One of them was performing "Killing the Blues" for a very appreciative crowd (many of whom were professional musicians) at guitar camp. Another was my first open-mic where the audience sang with me on the chorus of "Country Honk." Very, very fun.

Hydroman52

Tue May 01, 2012 9:59 am

For more of the back story to this story, check out this previous post:

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/4-g ... html#71512

So, there I was, a teenage newbie at an open jam session amongst some very accomplished bluegrass musicians. We played a few tunes that were very fast and I had all I could do to hit every other strum to keep up. Then the music stopped and the banjo player, from whom I learned the important lesson in my post from the link above, turned to me and said, “Play us a song.” Before I could think, I said, “Okay.” and started playing my best song at that time; 4 & 20 by Stephen Stills (in standard tuning). It was a complete change from the fast paced music that we had just been playing, and when the singing part came around, the banjo player moved in right next to me and started singing it. From there on out, the seas parted and everything clicked. No one else played a note. It was just him and me, and I never made a mistake. It was as if I was on cruise control and not thinking, just doing, and I remember how quiet everything was, and how it didn’t bother me at all.

We finished the song, and there was dead silence. I thought I had done something wrong by playing a non-bluegrass song, but then I hear someone say “Wow.”, and they started applauding. I glanced over at the banjo player (my impromptu accomplice), and he had a big grin on his face. A couple of guys patted me on the back and said “Nice job.”, and then we moved on to the next song. I’m not sure if any of them realized how huge this was for me, and what their reaction did to boost my confidence, but it is by far my most awesome-est guitar moment to date.

. . . . . . although, i must say that playing guitar with Bassman Jerry and assorted guest stars at our weekly rehearsals is pretty awesome, too.

Hydroman52

Chasplaya

Thu May 03, 2012 3:46 pm

I don't believe I've has a 'most awesome guitar moment', but have had quite a few good moments and a lot of good feedback over the years. One I recall was one morning at NZ Police College I was in an upstairs Chalet and was sitting having breakfast and noodling away on my guitar just going over my limited repertoire and only playing pieces of songs, when I stopped to butter my toast and all of a sudden a large round of applause was heard with 'Encore, encore!' It was my colleagues in surrounding Chalets who had been sitting listening in to my playing (didn't realise the Chalet walls were that thin lol!). Anyway my playing became a regular request thereafter at conference.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic