A female artist to compare with Dylan?

tovo

Mon May 14, 2012 12:18 am

I was thinking about enormously influential artists. I couldn't go past Dylan. Like his music or not, he has been a massive influence on music for decades.

My question: Who is the "female Dylan"? Which female artist has had a "Dylan-eske" influence and why?

BigBear

Mon May 14, 2012 1:45 am

Tony- Joan Baez is as close as I can get. And she and Dylan were together for awhile too. I think Baez influenced many later singer-songwriters like Judy Collins, Joanie Mitchell, even Mary Travers. But she was more known as an interpreter of other people's songs, like Dylan's. Not for her great songwriting.

Plus she made playing those little Salon 000-sized guitars cool. :cheer:

neverfoundthetime

Mon May 14, 2012 3:53 am

Maybe if we joined Carol King and Joni Mitchell at the hip we could get part of the way there on volume and all the way there (and beyond) on quality.

dennisg

Mon May 14, 2012 11:48 am

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Maybe if we joined Carol King and Joni Mitchell at the hip we could get part of the way there on volume and all the way there (and beyond) on quality.
I think Chris nailed this one. Prior to Joni and Carol, there was really no such thing as a female singer/songwriter that anyone knew about. Without them, there's no Bonnie Raitt. Without Bonnie Raitt, there's no Sheryl Crow. Hundreds of terrific women in the '70s, '80s, '90s, and beyond owe their successes to those two awesome musical pioneers.

tovo

Mon May 14, 2012 1:29 pm

Anyone of the generation after Dylan come close? Someone like Madonna has had a massive influence on popular music hasn't she?

dburns99

Mon May 14, 2012 6:17 pm

Ani Difranco......hands down.

cosmicmechanic

Mon May 14, 2012 8:27 pm

The tune "Universal Soldier" (1964) is really well known ... quite the classic.

Did you know who wrote it and originally performed it ? Ever heard of Buffy Sainte-Marie ?

Look her up ... she never quit !

dennisg

Mon May 14, 2012 9:28 pm

cosmicmechanic wrote:
The tune "Universal Soldier" (1964) is really well known ... quite the classic.

Did you know who wrote it and originally performed it ? Ever heard of Buffy Sainte-Marie ?

Look her up ... she never quit !

Hey Pierre,

I think it was called "One Tin Soldier." It was the theme song to Billy Jack, one of the worst movies ever made.

cosmicmechanic

Mon May 14, 2012 9:45 pm

dennisg wrote:
... I think it was called "One Tin Soldier." It was the theme song to Billy Jack, one of the worst movies ever made.
Dennis, I have to disagree with both of the above ...

Firstly: "One Tin Soldier" is not related to Buffy Sainte-Marie, that tune was written by Dennis Lambert and Brian Potter, and never recorded by Buffy.

Secondly: Since I've only seen clips of the movie "Billy Jack", I can't say for sure that it was one of the worst movies ever made ... but have you ever tried to watch "Battlefield Earth" ? :woohoo:

Returning (!) to being comparable to Dylan, Buffy's rendition of her very own "Universal Soldier" has real guts, don't you gotta admit ?
It received major exposure when Donovan recorded it when he used it to sound like Dylan and it became a hit. It was the title song of his hit (1967) album.

Who can deny that Dylan has a certain omniscient poetry on his side, and that the only thing on the level of his ankle is his sock ...

As to career songwriting and performing creds, Buffy Sainte-Marie's better known compositions are those commercialized by other artists ... shoulda been more omniscient ...

For example, "Until It's Time For You To Go", later done by Elvis, and "Up Where We Belong" also done by Joe Cocker and Jennifer Warnes.

On the other edge, if you're looking for the real thing for a protest female singer-songwriter comparable to Dylan ... Buffy !

And here is Buffy's "Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee", later done by Robbie Robertson, Indigo Girls, and others.

Pierre

dennisg

Tue May 15, 2012 7:02 am

Man, did I get that one wrong, or what?! Ever since the Billy Jack movie came out in 1971, I thought that Buffy S-M sang the title tune, but I just discovered it was recorded by same band called Coven. And I had no idea she had anything to do with Universal Soldier. After looking her up on Wikipedia (which I should have done earlier), I discovered she wrote quite a few well-known songs.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic