Capos?

quadcrazy

Thu May 24, 2012 4:51 pm

Hey guys so I am still really new to guitar. I am loving the acoustic I bought and just have a quick question: Capos... does it matter which one I get? What is the difference between a $10 one or a $20 one? And I really don't think it matters but just to be sure, do they make separate capos for electric and acoustic guitars? I received help fast last time I used this forum so I came here first hoping for the same thing.

Thanks guys,

DJ MacLeod

guitardude970

Thu May 24, 2012 5:04 pm

any quick release capo will do unless you need an alternate tuning capo

Music Junkie

Thu May 24, 2012 5:24 pm

They will all work, some will just be easier to use than others and hold up a bit better.

Personally, I really like the Shubb capos: http://www.shubb.com/capomodels.html

I have also heard good things about the Planet Waves capos: http://www.planetwaves.com/pwCapos.Page

The shubb is very easy to use with a single hand and it is easy to move around.

J

dtaylor

Thu May 24, 2012 5:58 pm

I own the planetwaves capo but prefer the G7th Nashville which can be applied quicker and more accurately and requires less retuning once applied. It's just a little less discrete.

Hydroman52

Thu May 24, 2012 10:01 pm

I use either a Jim Dunlop or a Shubbs. Both work good, but the Shubbs is more compact and fits in the guitar case compartment better.

Hydroman52

BigBear

Fri May 25, 2012 12:51 am

I'm a big fan of Shubb too because they seem to apply equal pressure across the whole fretboard. And they are adjustable for pressure which most capos are not. Their 12 string version is particularly effective. I also use a Kayser and it works fine and is faster but is much larger and harder to play around. :cheer:

AndyT

Fri May 25, 2012 6:16 am

I have a couple of Dunlop trigger types I really like. Have a Kyser also. G7's are really nice.

Catman

Mon May 28, 2012 8:21 am

DJ,

To answer your second question, you can use the same capo for acoustic and electric guitars (if they have the same number of strings), but not classical guitars.

Electric guitars and most acoustic guitars have fret boards with a curve in the same axis as the frets--that is the actual frets are slightly curved. This is usually referred to as a radiused fretboard and the radius of curvature is sometimes specified. Classical guitars (and flamenco) have flat (and wide) fret boards. So a capo for acoustic and electric guitars will be slightly curved to make better contact with all the strings, and the the classical guitar capo will be flat, with a longer arm.

I personally like G7th capos , especially the new Newport model which is tiny. But for my 12-string guitar, which needs much more pressure, I use a Dunlop trigger capo, and I'm thinking of getting a Shubb for this.

-David

dennisg

Mon May 28, 2012 5:11 pm

I'm a huge fan of the G7th Performance capo because it stays out of the way of my fretting hand when I play, is easy to put on, and is put on with the precise amount of pressure I want without bringing the strings out of tune. When I do a partial capo (strings 1 - 5), I use a Keyser.

beaker

Mon May 28, 2012 8:28 pm

For my 2 cents on this topic. I definitely like the Shubb Capo because it is an incredibly well engineered device that will never wear out. I like the way it cams over on itself. I definitely think it is a better investment to buy a good electronic tuner instead of using a special capo that only frets certain strings. Beaker.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic