Recycle useless guitar?

BRBbrb

Sun May 27, 2012 8:22 pm

Rescued an acoustic guitar from a dumpster. Granted it's just a "First Act"; but has a nice body. Did put some strings on it; but the neck seems warped or something--anyone have an idea what I could do with it? Flower box, pencil holder, or refurbish? Just been collected dust for a year now! Thanks :unsure:

dennisg

Sun May 27, 2012 8:28 pm

I would turn it into a bong.

And then after I woke up and had something to eat, I'd take it to a luthier and see if the neck will improve with a truss rod adjustment or a neck reset. If it can be fixed cheaply enough, you could make a difference by donating it to a kids' music program.

tovo

Sun May 27, 2012 8:30 pm

I'd get my frustrated rock star on smash it over an amp "Who style". Make sure you record it though!

BRBbrb

Sun May 27, 2012 11:05 pm

Ummmm - now I'm more confused than ever! Haha :woohoo:

Don't you wonder why they even bother manufacturing such cheapies?

AndyT

Mon May 28, 2012 2:10 am

First Act. LOL
They make a couple of different ones. The 2 smaller ones are not actual guitars. they are guitar toys. The necks are glued on and usually crooked in a horrible way. I have one a friend gave me because he knew I played and he saw it at a garage sale for $5. I had to saw the neck off and re shape it to make it playable. Then use a couple of heavy wood screws to re-mount it. A set of strings, and I now have a cheapo that I can take anywhere and not care if it gets smashed or not. There is no truss rod built into it because it's just a toy.

The 'high end' (pardon the term LOL) one they make is model 222 and it's almost worth what you will pay for it. A decent setup and you have something you can let the kids play with and not worry about it.

I actually play mine quite a lot. My wife hates it, (but then she's used to hearing Gracie, my sweet Takamine). I use it all over the place when I don't want to take Gracie into a situation I'm not familiar with.

daryl

Mon May 28, 2012 5:54 am

Hi Barb! Maybe you could convert it to a lap steel guitar and learn to play slide guitar?

Something like this:

or this:

Here's a way to convert it:

jayswett

Mon May 28, 2012 6:10 am

I can't remember the last time I saw a forum post from Barb. Greetings.

To answer your question, I have two unplayable guitars that I cleaned up and hung on the wall. They are useless in every other way, but do look reasonably nice.

willem

Mon May 28, 2012 6:19 am

When I am used to the sound of my guitars then it get boring and go on the search for diffrent sound and hope to find it and buy...lol (in my dreams).

I find Daryls idea very good and I go and try it on a chaepy one that I have and its collecting dust too..

How you doing Barb???

W,

BRBbrb

Tue May 29, 2012 11:16 pm

Thanks all - well the model is MG409; guess I should research it. I'll ponder this for a bit more then decide weather to let it remain a musical instrument or a freaky art project! The dobro thing looks awesome, not sure I'm that handy :unsure: .
PS: yeah I'm not on site much anymore or pc for that matter; I do miss ya'll though! Recently bought Neil's teaching of Heart's "Silver Wheels"--boy is it tough :ohmy:

BRBbrb

Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:28 pm

First Act Signature guitar- check it out: Image

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic