Recycle useless guitar?

daryl

Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:11 pm

Is that the MG409? Good looking electric.
Is the action really that bad?
Have you tried lowering the saddle?
Have you checked out how straight the neck is (by pressing on the 1st and 14th fret of the low E string and seeing how big the gap is at the 7th fret)?
If the neck is really badly warp, you should really consider making it a lap steel guitar.

michelew

Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:33 pm

OK I'm confused. I thought you had found an acoustic; a dreadnought or a classical.

Well if it's the guitar in the photo you've just uploaded it sure looks like a beautiful guitar. If it's not playable it WOULD look great on the wall. It would be a big tease... but would look great regardless. Of course you could always cannabalise it ... parts for another electric guitar if you have one.

If it's not the signature model .... then it may still look nice on the wall.

Good luck Barb and enjoy the search for the perfect second life for your find. It actually sounds like a fun dilemma to have.

M.

AndyT

Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:16 pm

I also thought you were talking acoustic.

First Act has a side where they make decent guitars, but I've never played any of them. The ones I always see are the extreme cheapos that you can find at WalMart or KMart for next to nothing.

I have heard that they make a good electric, but I've never seen one. Until the pic you posted.

BRBbrb

Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:47 pm

Oops - sorry guys! No this isn't the guitar I found; I went to their website & saw this on the homepage and completely forgot what I was doing. Just couldn't believe they had celebrity signatures :huh:. Anyway; I'll go back to the website and check out the MG409.

BRBbrb

Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:56 pm

Here's a description I found: Price $79.00

First Act MG409 Classic Dreadnought Acoustic Guitar (41-Inch, Natural)

Description:

The First Act MG409 Acoustic Guitar is a classic full-size, steel-string acoustic guitar with a dreadnought shape and deep body for rich, full sound projection. The natural spruce top delivers sparkling high-end sound, and the hardwood back and sides makes for full, deep bass and crisp mid-range tones. The nato neck with rosewood fingerboard has a solid feel for easy playing, while the rosewood bridge maximizes bass response. The guitar also features chrome-covered tuning gears for accurate and long lasting tuning. First Act didn't scrimp on style -- the MG409 features a black binding on the body and neck, plus a high-gloss protective finish.

Features:

• Classic full-size, steel-string acoustic guitar
• Dreadnought shape and deep body for rich, full sound projection
• Natural spruce top delivers high-end sound
• Hardwood back and sides make for full, deep bass and crisp mid-range tones
• Rosewood fingerboard for easy playing and rosewood bridge maximizes bass response

BRBbrb

Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:02 am

MG409 - Image

michelew

Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:28 am

Ahhhh... I understand. Well the signature model is pretty as is the player, so I can see why you might have been... ahhh ... distracted... by the handsome guitar that is. :)

The acoustic model looks nice too. $79... gee that's cheap. I wonder how it sounds. You pay at least 5 times that for a decent guitar here.

Make sure you include a photo of the actual guitar when you work out what you're going to do with it.

M.

BRBbrb

Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:45 pm

@Michele: haha; yeah distracted is it! Well think I'll just restring it again & have my son, who's a much better player than me & has strong fingers, check it out to see what he thinks. $79 is cheap; but I only paid $75 for my Applause (used) at Guitar Center and just love it. You know this is actually the 2nd throw-away I grabbed. About 5 yrs. ago someone threw out an "Accolade" and my son did do The Who smash with it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic