? Martin Guitars or other high end guitars.

marshel

Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:33 am

My grandson recently showed interest in playing and we are going to the music store Sat. When talking to the owner on the phone I metioned that I had a late '60 Telecaster and a Deluxe Reverb from the same era. He sounded very interested in doing some swapping. Would consider a swap for a high end acoustical.
My present main acoustical is a Hohner HG310. From my research, I have found that it is supposedly a D28 knock off. I am well satified with it, but would be willing to give it to my grandson if he continues to show interest.

Now for the questions.
1) In the Martin line. What models would be considered great guitars from the top down?
2) I have been out of playing as far as buying new guitars for 30 years. What brands are considered top of the line now a days if I swapped for new?

Just trying to do a little homework here. Haven't played the Telly in 15 years but don't want to give it away either.

willem

Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:13 am

Hi,,I can imagine you want to keep your first bought guitar its like your first car...

I really can't advice you on your question but there are a bunch of people here that owns Martins and Taylors so they will come in...

I boughtt a few guitars and own three which I happy with 'cos they serve my goal on certain songs the only thing I did was that I tuned it a whole step down and put the capo on the second fret for the concert tuning e-a-d-g-b-e this I did for being able tot do some heavy stretches with my little hands,,,when I go for a fourth guitar it must be a little one and maybe can test it much better then the other three 'cos of being able to play something in the store...

goodluck on buying and with your grandson..

Willem

sbutler

Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:56 am

Personally, I think I would hold on to that classic Fender. Then ask yourself, what guitar would do for an entry level (pretty young) guitar player. Almost any guitar you could buy him, would certainly play much better than he does.

After time, (a year or two), then you may consider something a little more upper end.

Honestly, the advice most seasoned players gave me is, "let the guitar pick you, not the other way around". You don't have to have the most expensive of anything, to make wonderful sounds and have a ton of fun. AND, its so relative to ones ear and fingers. He may like a $120 garage sale acoustic, better than a $3500 Martin.

Just a few thoughts from someone who has gone through this already.
SCott

haoli25

Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:26 pm

Hello Marshel. I would agree with Scott in that I would hang on to that Classic 'Telly' if at all possible. If I were you, I would also contact Jack van Breen w/Guitar Showcase or through TG and get his opinion on the value of your Classic. Jack knows his guitars and he seems like the kind of guy that would shoot straight with you.
For your grandson, I would look at some of the Takamine models. They are easy to play, sound great, and won't break the bank.

I hope you can post some pictures of that Telecaster.

Bill

Music Junkie

Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:49 pm

sbutler wrote:
Personally, I think I would hold on to that classic Fender. Then ask yourself, what guitar would do for an entry level (pretty young) guitar player. Almost any guitar you could buy him, would certainly play much better than he does.

After time, (a year or two), then you may consider something a little more upper end.

Honestly, the advice most seasoned players gave me is, "let the guitar pick you, not the other way around". You don't have to have the most expensive of anything, to make wonderful sounds and have a ton of fun. AND, its so relative to ones ear and fingers. He may like a $120 garage sale acoustic, better than a $3500 Martin.

SCott
Ditto... :)

There are some entry level guitars for about $150 - $500 that can produce some nice sounds. Look at Fender, Yamaha, Martin, Taylor, and a few others. Play them and see some of the differences before buying. If his interest is real and he sticks with it you could spend more and learn a bit more about them at the same time... B)

MJ

neverfoundthetime

Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:19 am

I wouldn't go high-end yet either. Let your grandson earn his spurs by starting with a good medium range guitar before he gets to own a top range model. He needs to show some dedication. You will find good money value with Takamines (as Bill mentioned) of which I have two and Seagulls have a good reputation in that range too. But you need to try out all the guitars you can.
Chris

dennisg

Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:16 am

I think one of the best values out there is from a brand called Seagull. They are extremely nice-sounding and easy-playing guitars for the money. If your grandson takes to it, there may be a Martin or a Taylor in his future.

wiley

Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:54 pm

marshel

Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:37 am

sbutler wrote:

SCott
Thanks all.
The little tyke will be getting a $200 to $300 new guitar if I can't find used. The biggest concern is that it is playable.
If I do the swap it will be for a guitar for me. The swap would have to viewed as a sweet one for me or I will hold onto the Telly. Payed for and just taking up room, but I have the room.
The trip to the musice store was planned for today, but will probably wait till Thrs>

familyman4

Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:20 pm

It might be a little late for one more suggestion but: maybe you want to consider the Taylor, GS Mini. This is a 3/4 size guitar that really sounds nice. It also has the electronics base made in already if you want to upgrade for that later. This guitar sells for $499 (U.S.) everyday is worth every penny. I own one and use it for a travel instrument for hotel rooms and such. It has a great sound and should be easier for him to learn on.

For what it's worth....
Bart

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic