A little bit of blues

tovo

Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:49 pm

Hey thanks Craig. Your terrific support means a lot.

suziko

Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:30 pm

I suggest that you consider keeping the dressing gown on, play standing, and marvel as imitators multiply.

Or off. Hey, I'm ok with that too!!

Suzi ;)

michelew

Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:57 pm

Oh I sooooooo hope you wear jarmie bottoms or shorts under that dressing gown... Though i guess we've already seen you wearing only a guitar and attitude, so... as long as you're still wearing a guitar I'm OK with that too.

But,...given how chilli it is in Sydney right now, I expect you're not planning to give your new bluesman persona too much public exposure at the moment. ;) :P B)

tovo

Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:24 pm

suziko wrote:
I suggest that you consider keeping the dressing gown on, play standing, and marvel as imitators multiply.

Or off. Hey, I'm ok with that too!!

Suzi ;)
Gee if I'd known how flirtatious those Wisconsin girls can be I would have planned a trip to that part of the World a little sooner!

Perhaps I could be Adelaide's answer to New York's naked cowboy Shel? As you suggest though for the sake of my reputation I should wait for warmer weather!

You girls make sitting in airports a little less boring :-). Thanks.

michelew

Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:31 pm

"Flirtatious". Good word. I couldn't find the right one. 'Horn-dog" was all wrong. :) :) ;)

Tony - I'd be happy to lend you my ukulele if you decide to take the Adelaide naked bluesman for a spin (during winter). But, I do expect to see video regardless of whether you post. :) :) ;) What are mates for right???? And I do need a giggle. ... I mean .... no I mean a giggle... :P

Enjoy your flight big guy. :kiss:

Shel (grinning and feeling a little mischievous on a cold, wet Sydney day)

heyjoe

Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:06 am

Hi Tony

I really enjoyed watching your video. Good luck on your journey to playing the blues.

You've had lots of good advice from people. As has been said before you're going through
the pain stage at the moment, lots of repetition to build up muscle memory, but please remember
that it will get easier, you'll begin to concentrate less on remembering which notes to play and more on the
sound and the feeling.

Once you have the muscle memory, you'll relax more and I bet it'll feel better.

I've been going through the same process learning fingerpicking, the journey is hard, but
when you start to hear the progression, and when others comment on it as well, thats when it gets fun and
the motivation to keep improving really kicks in

Also, as Mark said, less is more, remember to leave space between the notes, it makes a huge difference.

Joe

p.s after reading all the posts, I have questions, Firstly,where do I buy a blind dressing down? and does it help you play the blues any better than a regular dressing gown?

tovo

Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:31 pm

The question of dressing gowns and their various uses is one I must spend further time reflecting on.

Hey Joe, thanks for your comments mate. I'm confident the gain should eventually outweigh the pain.

I have been very uplifted by great advice and support and I thank everyone very much.

heyjoe

Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:03 am

Tony, I look forward to you reporting back about your research into dressing gowns.
I'm sure you'd be able to get some sort of government grant to help fund this research.
Maybe get some scientists and engineers involved to produce an ergonomically designed dressing gown, custom built for guitar playing

good luck

Joe

dekotaj

Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:31 am

Hey Tony

BRAVO!!

Got to love those blues.Great job blues brother!

Like Ness said, watch getting those fingers off the the fret to high.(IT will come the more you do it). And as far as anchoring your hand,try laying your palm right behind the bridge.

Is your friend you talk about working with you.Or how or you putting these runs together?

Or you working from tab,or you improvising?

Do you know the chord structure of the backing track? Or is the backing track a song you know?

Do you have a safe place to return too? If thing get a little out of hand and need to get back.

Or you working any chord inversions? To fill in a low in the leads?Or over a verse or chorus.

WOW to many question.Sorry,but learning some blues myself.I was just wondering.Need all the help I can get,you know.

Kev
P.S.
tovo wrote:
[quote]suziko wrote:

Gee if I'd known how flirtatious those Wisconsin girls can be I would have planned a trip to that part of the World a little sooner!

I guess your messing with Suzi.But if you do get to Wisconsin.Illinois is just a state away.

Best to you my blues brother!

tovo

Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:46 pm

heyjoe wrote:
Tony,
I'm sure you'd be able to get some sort of government grant to help fund this research.

good luck

Joe
No Joe. In Australia if I were researching how dressing gowns could be used at the London Olympics to win more medals I would get a massive grant. For the arts? Forget it! :)

Kev wrote
I guess your messing with Suzi.
No...but it's a nice thought.

Anyway Kev to be serious and answer your question (s). I am learning my blues from a lot of sources. My friends are not into blues (not the ones who play anyway) so I'm going it alone. I've definitely picked up on Ness' point regarding my "flying fingers" and I'm working on that. You can PM and I'll fill you in on sources if you like.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic