A little bit of blues

tombo1230

Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:59 am

tovo wrote:
Thanks Bud. Appreciate it. Everything in Adelaide is backward, words included!
Interesting......I never thought of Australia as a backward country, LOL! :laugh:

Anyway, nothing backwards about your playing. I think you are going through the pain before the gain stage and you just need to hang on in there until your ripping it up with ease. Just stick in there, you've obviously made progress. It will definately be worth it.

Tom N.

Chasplaya

Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:19 am

Lavallee wrote:
That is pretty cool Tony, that lead is coming out nicely with a good blues feel. Interesting that you have change playing side but also your poster last word says "cisum" : local slang? :laugh:

Marc
ANd I like the very rare Beatles poster of them crossing back Abbey Road

Chasplaya

Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:20 am

Lavallee wrote:
That is pretty cool Tony, that lead is coming out nicely with a good blues feel. Interesting that you have change playing side but also your poster last word says "cisum" : local slang? :laugh:

Marc
ANd I like the very rare Beatles poster of them crossing back over Abbey Road

And the blues coming along nicely Tony, keep it up mate.

tovo

Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:55 am

Cheers Tom. Thanks for the encouragement mate.

yeah Chas pity it's not the original eh! That would be worth a bit. Same to you, thanks for the encouraging words. It's hard work but really, really enjoyable. In order to get real feel in the playing I need to know those licks without thinking. Not there yet by any means but on the way.

tovo

Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:01 am

Hit submit twice.

willem

Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:14 am

Hey Tony,,he he there you are,,,Its a very nice goal you have I am a big bleus fan but time is in the way for some serious practice and if I want it then it is on the mouth/harp(I got a nice link too),,when you use the backing/track it sounded very nice but I was wondering if it was to clean(maybe a bit more dirty??) I dont know anything a bout electric..

I call you now Dnahkciuq.... :laugh:

playing to bleus is one and singin it is two...looking very forward to your progress.

melliW..

mark

Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:55 am

Hi Tony

It's often said that Blues is a simple musical style, which it is, but there are quite a few ingredients
which need to go in to make an authentic blues.

I'm also on the long road to trying to get this right.

I play a different style of blues - acoustic and keeping a steady monotonic bass line going, but the principles are the same.

Some of the things I've learnt on the way are:

When you hear a really good blues player you get a strong sense of the beat. So even when playing completly solo like in the first video
you can really hear the beat. This can be done by adding a slight percussive feel with the right hand. Imagine Neil playing this and you
would know exactly where the beat is all the time.

Also note choice is important. It should be possible to hear the chord changes even when there is no accompaniment. I like to play in
a delta style where it needs to have lots of flat 7's, flat 3's and flat 5's along with the normal chord tonnes.

It's good to hold notes and also to leave lots of space between licks.

There's probably lots more but I can't think of anything at the moment

neverfoundthetime

Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:12 am

Great stuff Tony! Great to see you post what you've been working on. Congratulations on your on-going mutation! The progress is clearly audible and it seems like a lot of fun you are having there. I'm really happy, this time, to hear you have the blues! :-)

Lavallee

Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:14 am

Hi Tony, one more thing, I was looking again at your video, I am no expert at lead as I am a beginner too but I was wondering about picking direction and the right hand position (left hand in your case ;) ). There is probably a debate over that, but I think that anchoring your pinky to the guitar will eventually limit your fluidity. I find , as Neil has mentioned many times, that the hand should be floating freely above the strings . Also using alternate picking most of the time (I cannot see from the angle if you are doing it or not) allow your hand to have a strumming like movement that helps giving a good rhythm. If your hand floats it will be possible to go faster especially when you have to switch between strings as you are always in position to pick .

Cheers mate

Marc

daryl

Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:53 am

Hi Tony, good to see you again and very nice to see where you're at these days!

I'm not sure if you're looking for feedback, since you don't mention it, but I guess I'll give it a go anyway.

I can see quite a bit of work you have put into this, I think you got the where to go with your fingers down pretty well. I was indeed wondering if you had been playing with a track, since it'll improve your timing. At the moment you're pretty caught up with whát to play which makes timing harder if it doesn't come natural, (which is kinda what Mark expresses, that you need to 'feel' every beat of the measure, no matter what is going on). So keep working on that. Marc points out another good thing, anchoring a few fingers, personally I'd say, QUIT that ASAP! Getting rid of it later, (when you notice that is dóes limit your right hand movements in all sorts of ways), it'll be súch a pain.

Lastly, something that I'd like to add, which isn't mentioned already, your 'actual' left hand :P, you lift your fingers after letting go of the strings/notes way too high, keep them as close as possible to the fretboard, all lined up nicely and in position. With this speed you get away with it, but when things speed up, you'll be in trouble, so my advice would be, limitize the lifting-movements of your fingers.

Thanks for sharing Tony, again, it is very nice to see what you're up to nowadays and indeed very good of you taking some steps in a new direction!

Ness

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic