A little bit of blues

tovo

Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:05 pm

Thanks Rick, appreciate your support man.

Suzi no worries regarding the timing of comments I'm happy to get them whenever! :)

You're spot on with your comments as well...I can't do anything but agree 100% There's only one way to get where I want to go. Practice and practice right. Listening to more experienced dudes and dudettes is a great way to accelerate the process. By doing so, I feel I have shown improvement in 1 day.....as opposed to spending another couple of months ingraining bad habits.

Dean I really appreciate that comment and encouragement mate, thanks very much.

cosmicmechanic

Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:56 pm

Tony, I tried watching this a couple of times over the last 2 days, since you uploaded it.
This was always in the evening, after a long day's work ... seems nothing really registers with me these days past late afternoon ... so you got no comment from me.

On these occasions I get the feeling that I basically understand the world about as much as a dog watching a movie on TV, and tonight I realized : that means I got the blues ! and I can't be satisfied ! B)

So I revisited your slapdash morning performance and I'm quite happy for you. Damn good progress, lots of muscular memory already in the bag.
Good times lie ahead, as your moves get more fluid and (seemingly) improvised.

By the way, the "sunglasses and fedora" bluesman look is not the only option available.
I suggest that you consider keeping the dressing gown on, play standing, and marvel as imitators multiply.

Great to see you post again !
Pierre

tovo

Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:10 am

That's a great suggestion Pierre. I can see it now: "Come and hear the amazing sounds of the dressing gown blues guy!!" Yep...could definitely be a gimmick that nobody else is using!

AcousticAl

Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:14 am

Nice work Tony! I think it's impressive already.

Forgive me if you've mentioned it elsewhere- but what is your practice regimen for learning the blues? And are you mostly using TG's lessons or something else?

tovo

Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:12 am

Hey Al. Thanks. I'm using a large variety of sources. Happy to tell you more privately, as you know TG isn't cool with promoting other sites which I understand. My routine? Well I pretty much have the ability to play a 12 bar in any key down. I spend a lot of time on the blues scale and extended scale. Now I am working on a pool of about 25 licks that each span 2 bars, giving me the ability to play through about 4 x 12 bar sequences. Right now I lack the ability to keep good timing. I think that has a lot to do with knowing your licks without thinking. I think it is similar to when you first try to play and sing. If you don't know the tune really, really well then forget it. Once I have my licks without thinking I can start to really feel the music. That's my hope. I got some great advice here about not anchoring and also keeping fingers much closer to the fretboard and I'm applying that already with good results. I'm sure no Gary Moore or BB King, but I'm so motivated and I do feel every session improves me. Can't complain about that.

michelew

Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:06 am

WOW that's amazing Tony. No wonder you're progressing.

Shel

tombo1230

Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:44 am

tovo wrote:
That's a great suggestion Pierre. I can see it now: "Come and hear the amazing sounds of the dressing gown blues guy!!" Yep...could definitely be a gimmick that nobody else is using!
I think you are onto something here Tony. You could take this a stage further.........As you know loads of really great blues guys were called 'Blind' something. Blind Blake, Blind Boy Fuller, Blind Willie Johnson and Blind Willie McTell but to name a few............. So, encorporating the dressing gown and borrowing from the past masters, how does this grab you? Blind Dressing gown Tony?............... It definately has a ring to it. :woohoo: :) and hell you don't have to gouge your eyes out to make this work, just buy some shades. As you know, everything is fake these days in the music business. B) :laugh: :laugh:

Enjoy the blues Tony. :)

Tom N.

cosmicmechanic

Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:17 pm

cosmicmechanic wrote:
I suggest that you consider keeping the dressing gown on, play standing, and marvel as imitators multiply.
I think that this is the first time that anybody on TG has ever quoted their own self (another small step for man, a great leap ....).

Actually, I was only half-joking in my earlier post. When you get out of bed and really got the blues, you do tend to stay "less-dressed".

I think it might actually work, with the right attitude.

Tony, please forward 15% of all profits thereof, thanks in advance !

Pierre

tovo

Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:05 pm

Cheers Shel.

"Blind Dressing gown Tony" it is Tom, Pierre. Note that I am now looking for a sunglasses sponsor and a dressing gown sponsor.

Craig

Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:31 pm

Hey Tony,
I was out of town last week and just got home to this pleasant surprise! It's great to see you. It looks like the other, more accomplished players have offered some good advice. I just wanted to say how happy I am for you. I know you set a goal for yourself and have worked hard to get there. The time and effort you have put in really shows, and I think you are well on your way to getting to where you want to be. For what it's worth, it sounds to me like you are playing the blues. Congratulations to you.

Craig

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic