A little bit of blues

dennisg

Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:31 am

The thing I love about this is that you've identified the style of music that excites you, and you're going after it in a big way.

Mark and Ness make some very useful comments about the "feel" of the music, which is something I expect you'll experience when you're past the stage of thinking about where to put your fingers on the fretboard. Getting to that feeling stage is the same journey you took when you learned Norwegian Wood. What you learned in that early experiment is that playing music isn't all about bashing strings. It's about feeling the notes so that the picking pressure, the note sustain, the speed of slides, the type of bends, etc. just become a natural part of your playing. It's all out there for you, and you're off to a rousing start.

MarkM

Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:37 pm

Tony,

Way to go!! You've got your head down and are really working hard at this. It's paying off. No words of advice here. Just keep at it and watch how you progress. Thanks for sharing.

MarkM

abiliog

Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:58 pm

Tony,
Follow your dream through that great blues road.
Glad to see you again, this time leading the blues :)
Abilio

tovo

Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:05 pm

Thank you all very sincerely. I'm not only excited by the blues, but humbled by the real challenge it presents and I needed that sort of challenge very much.

Here's the things I have digested from your comments:

1. Use a backing track. Initally, using the backing track makes things harder because you have something else to worry about...keeping the time, but also it's a great means to improve. I'm now doing that more.
2. Feel and timing. Yes, yes and yes! :) That's the really hard bit. The relatively easy bit is learning the licks and getting them down really well....but that takes some time for sure and it's the step you can't skip. (rather obviously).
3. Anchoring. Yes, I wasn't sure about if I should or shouldn't. Still not entirely sure but Marc and Ness I trust you both know what you are talking about so I'll try hard to stop that.
4. Lifting my fingers too high. I know that one should keep the fingers as close to the fretboard as possible and I lift mine much too high. I hope that part will improve as I go.
5. I am experimenting also with the various effects to use.

Again, thanks all for taking the time to comment. I really do appreciate it and I take a lot of value out of all the comments.

Chasplaya

Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:24 pm

tovo wrote:
Cheers Tom. Thanks for the encouragement mate.

yeah Chas pity it's not the original eh! That would be worth a bit. Same to you, thanks for the encouraging words. It's hard work but really, really enjoyable. In order to get real feel in the playing I need to know those licks without thinking. Not there yet by any means but on the way.
On the occasion I jam along and play blues I don't think too much about it, or try and get too technical, I have a basic idea in mind and just let it go from there as has been said its about feel really. Also on my electric I play more near neck pick ups with more Bass dialed in than you appear to have, when my pedals were intact pre sons dog chewing the leads i also dialed in a slight delay and reverb.

Never always the same and sometimes I'd hit something that sounded good and if it hadn't been recorded hmm could I remember it usually no... But hey I play purely for my own enjoyment and fun so who cares really.

michelew

Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:08 pm

tovo wrote:
Ah yes Marc we are full of slang down here!

Here is part of the progression over a backing track. Shows how much I need to work on timing but it's a start at least.

Hey Tony,

It's great to see and hear you following your bliss. It sounds like you're really motivated and that yov've found something that speaks to you in a big way. Good for you.

I can tell that you're putting a lot of work into this. Just memorizing the licks and knowing when you can play them against the track takes a lot of learning I'm sure.

I'm glad you posted this second video. I was a little concerned that you might not be playing against a track or some sort of rhthym. Playing against a jam track has GOT to be more fun and your timing is better in it too.

I've never tried to play the blues and I haven't put any energy into learning licks and solos. But, I'm sure it would make me more versatile and be fun. So I can't give you any advice there. I do wonder though whether it might be better to slow things down more and concentrate on the blues feel more rather than trying to get the fast passages perfected.

You've got some great advice and you're obviously progressing while having a good time. Keep playing and having fun. You're already soaking up the cool and you'll be a coooooool blues man in no time.

Oh and Dennis is a genius. The playing left handed thing. ... Who knew??!!! :) :) :B

Got a blues hat yet? :) :) ... Not that I want you to cover your sexy head.

Enjoy Lizzie's birthday. I'm sure you'll be celebrating by channelling your inner blues man. Enjoy.

Shel

tovo

Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:22 pm

Hey Shel. All good ideas and advice as was all the stuff previous to your post. I'll get there and the thing is to keep patient and stay diligent. The great advice helps speed the process so I'm happy to receive it for sure. I know some may hesitate to offer advice to me. Don't. I have certainly learned how to receive and use it so feel free to give it. You're a treat Shel and a good mate. What's cooler than being cool eh!

Your post gives me a chance to say that this morning I concentrated on 2 things that were raised, not anchoring my fingers and trying to keep my fretting fingers very close to the fretboard. At first it felt like going back to the start, and it would have been very easy to say "too hard". But the cool thing is that after about an hour it felt much less weird and so I'm confident I can break the bad habits.

That's the real beauty of this forum for anyone thinking of a first video. If you listen to what people are telling you, it will accelerate your learning, there's no doubt.

Sermonizing over!

RicksPick

Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:16 am

Too cool Tony

No advice here

Does Sounds cool though

RicksPick

suziko

Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:00 pm

Hey Tony!

Sorry about taking so long to get to this! It's my daughter's last full week of school before summer break and things have just been so hectic. I've barely been signing into TG- which says A LOT, believe me.

I am also glad that you posted the video of you playing to a rhythm track because it really felt like things were starting to click together in that one. I have absolutely NO blues experience, but I'm impressed that you've decided to really focus on and work on the thing that intrigues you the most. That is just awesome. I also like the advice people have already given you (not anchoring and keeping a steady rhythm) and I totally agree that if a person is willing to listen to the advice that others give them regarding their playing- and then actually put that advice into practice- it's amazing how much quicker one can progress as a player. I know that's been my experience, anyway.

Also, just really great to see you posting again!!! Please- don't stop!

Suzi

dtaylor

Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:57 pm

Hey Tony,
I like that you have an ambition with the guitar that's independently motivated and what a great ambition to have, I just want to encourage you on your journey and hope it brings you the rewards you seek. You're sure well on your way.
Dean

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic