Callouses

neverfoundthetime

Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:56 pm

I could have written this and it would be absolutely true for me also, although a recent job change played havoc with my right hand nails but that has settled down now.
Chas
You'll have to try biting the corks off the bottles in stead of breaking your nails opening with your right hand Chas! :laugh:

Chasplaya

Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:07 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
I could have written this and it would be absolutely true for me also, although a recent job change played havoc with my right hand nails but that has settled down now.
Chas
You'll have to try biting the corks off the bottles in stead of breaking your nails opening with your right hand Chas! :laugh:
Nope the change is I was just appointed store manager so I tell others to bite the corks off now lol. So nails are safe now, and recent attempts at Gary Moore tunes certainly help the callouses on the left hand the two step bends on acoustic are killer but hey fingertips harden up real quick!

neverfoundthetime

Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:42 pm

They left you in charge of the store Chas?! So when do we get an invite to the party? :woohoo:

Joe, just pirating your thread a little... I know how that will make you feel right at home!

dennisg

Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:04 pm

I frequently lead beginners on bike rides, and one of the questions I get the most is, How do you avoid having a sore bottom? The answer is simple: you don't. The only way to have it not hurt is to spend time in the saddle and toughen up the tissue beneath the skin. The same applies to guitar playing except, presumably, you try to avoid using your bottom. The only way to get past the painful part of guitar playing is to play the guitar. And callouses are only one part of the equation, since they protect the outer skin from damage due to pressing down on narrow, steel strings. Even more important, I think, is toughening up the tissue beneath the skin.

Catman

Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:51 am

Now that's an image I won't be able to get out of my mind for a while--bum-picking! :)

Just to hijack Joe's thread a bit more (it's OK Joe, you've already got some good answers), and since Dennis opened the door by mentioning biking, I recently started biking again after a two-year hiatus, and the saddle-soreness was a real issue. I have one of those narrow saddles that look as if they were invented by the Inquisition, and it felt that way after the first ride. I temporarily replaced it with a wider, thicker, gel-padded saddle and used that for a month. It was still a bit painful at first, especially after the first 20km of a ride, but now I have gone back to my old saddle and it is OK.

But I don't see how to apply that little experience to guitar playing, other than maybe using lighter strings until one gets past the fingertip pain

heyjoe

Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:18 am

Catman, thanks for the information about the hand exerciser, its a great idea which I'll have a look into. I like the idea of the sand, kung fu style.

Tom Its strange but I dont mind the pain, as I know I'm progressing with my playing. I've had callouses many times over the years, but I've never known if they are are good thing or not. Now I do. Fingernails on my right hand are another matter, I'll have to persevere. I get to a point where they really help the sound, and then 5 minutes later they are too long and drive me crazy. How do I stop them growing when they are perfect?

Chas and Chris, thanks for the info, and yes, pirating my thread did make me smile, remembering the old days eh, always a good thing.

Dennis and Catman, thanks for the tip about not playing the guitar with my bottom, I'll try to remember that one next time I play. It does explain why I'm having problems holding the plectrum sometimes though.

I originally had 13 gauge strings on the guitar, which were lovely strings but were causing me problems, so I've dropped down to 11s and my fingers are handling them much better, I can play for longer, and its made playing fingerstyle much easier.

Thanks guys

Joe

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic