Callouses

heyjoe

Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:23 am

Hi all

Just a couple of question about callouses. I'm playing more often these days and the callouses are starting to build back up on my left hand, mainly the index and middle fingers, what I was wondering was, as I'm working on using my ring and little finger more, should I be trying to get callouses on them? Are callouses a good or bad thing for guitarists?

Also, the fingernails on my right hand don't stand up to fingerpicking that well, and unlike Dennis I'm not yet brave enough to visit a nail salon, so I just cut my nails down, so would building callouses on the pads of my right hand be an aid to fingerpicking?

Thanks

Joe

Catman

Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:47 am

Callouses are good, and yes, you should be developing callouses on all your left-hand fingertips (not the thumb, of course).

As to the right hand fingernails, Tommy Emmanuel has the same problem (and so do I). He has built up callouses on his right hand fingers and uses them instead of fingernails. I am still working on this...

-David

cosmicmechanic

Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:09 pm

Hey, Joe ...

Humor me ... eat 2 apples a day for a month.
If your fingernails ain't hard as nails after that, ask Apple for a refund. They are usually very understanding.

Raw root vegetables, such as carrots, are also good for this purpose. The harder the better.

Horses already know all about this, but they couldn't care less about fingerpickiing a guitar.
So in this case, I think it's a good idea to pay attention to the "neigh"-sayers :silly:

Pierre

tovo

Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:38 pm

Callouses are a good thing I think Joe, but they don't take long to start to soften I think, even after a couple of days off.

If you think that Den getting his nails done in a salon called for courage, imagine how bold he was to ask for a perm and bikini wax. That's brave!

heyjoe

Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:57 am

David, thanks for confirming what I thought, I'll keep going

Tony, I'm playing every day at the moment, so the callouses arent getting a chance to soften. I'm really enjoying playing, seeing and hearing progress- its been like this for a few months now- I think its because, like you, I''ve found a style I really want to play, and am determined to learn how to do it.

Are you sure about the perm and bikini wax? Can you imagine if he had got those mixed up.

Pierre, thanks, I think. I'm confused-enough about me, I'm off to talk to some horses about nail hardening techniques.

Thanks all

Joe

neverfoundthetime

Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:09 am

Hi Joe

I have had callouses on all my left hand finger tips for as long as I have owned a guitar and I don't use a plectrum and have no callouses on my right hand at all. My nails on the right hand are good.... but its usually the pads of my fingers and thumb which pluck the strings. So its a yes from me for the left hand and a no for the right.

heyjoe

Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:24 am

Christhanks for the reply.Its good to know I'm on the right track.

A callous has just started to appear on my ring finger, now just my pinky to go.

Thinking about something Tony mention, is there a way to keep your callouses hard, apart from guitar playing?

Joe

Catman

Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:58 pm

heyjoe wrote:
Thinking about something Tony mention, is there a way to keep your callouses hard, apart from guitar playing?
Well, aside from plunging your extended fingers repeatedly into bowls of hot sand and gravel (you know...all those kung-fu movies), I have a finger exerciser that has ridges on it that are supposed to emulate strings and keep your callouses healthy. I don't know if it actually works as I have not tried to use it for callous maintenance. Look for Planet Waves Varigrip Adjustable Hand Exerciser

tvarga

Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:41 pm

Callouses on your left hand will happen automatically if you play enough. When you start playing, you'll probably experience a lot of pain in those fingers for the first few weeks. Once you have thick enough callouses, the pain will go away.
After a few years of fairly consistent playing since the beginning of TG, I find that I don't really have hard callouses any more. The fingertips are just hard and I'm guessing don't have many pain sensors left in them because I can now press really hard on the tips and don't feel any pain at all. I think that's a good thing. :)

As far as my right hand fingernails go, the first year was very frustrating. I'd break or crack one of them every week .. and usually not while playing guitar. Strangely, it no longer happens any more. Even after rock climbing or playing frisbee, I haven't broken a fingernail in the last year.
I think that constant use plucking at the strings has actually forced my nails to grow out tougher or at least more resilient. They don't crack any more and just bend if I do something stupid. Anyway, I don't know if it's common for fingernails to get stronger with use, but it sure seems to have worked out that way for me. If anything, they grow too fast forcing me to file them down every few days. (No matter what, my wife absolutely hates the long fingernails ... but I'm not going to give up guitar playing! :))

-Tom

Chasplaya

Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:47 pm

tvarga wrote:
Callouses on your left hand will happen automatically if you play enough. When you start playing, you'll probably experience a lot of pain in those fingers for the first few weeks. Once you have thick enough callouses, the pain will go away.
After a few years of fairly consistent playing since the beginning of TG, I find that I don't really have hard callouses any more. The fingertips are just hard and I'm guessing don't have many pain sensors left in them because I can now press really hard on the tips and don't feel any pain at all. I think that's a good thing. :)

As far as my right hand fingernails go, the first year was very frustrating. I'd break or crack one of them every week .. and usually not while playing guitar. Strangely, it no longer happens any more. Even after rock climbing or playing frisbee, I haven't broken a fingernail in the last year.
I think that constant use plucking at the strings has actually forced my nails to grow out tougher or at least more resilient. They don't crack any more and just bend if I do something stupid. Anyway, I don't know if it's common for fingernails to get stronger with use, but it sure seems to have worked out that way for me. If anything, they grow too fast forcing me to file them down every few days. (No matter what, my wife absolutely hates the long fingernails ... but I'm not going to give up guitar playing! :))

-Tom
I could have written this and it would be absolutely true for me also, although a recent job change played havoc with my right hand nails but that has settled down now.

Chas

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic