Who Would You Loan Your Best Guitar to?"

Catman

Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:00 am

It's one thing to let people play my guitars, quite another to lend them out.

I have some nice guitars, but none are one-of-a-kind or have special sentimental value that makes them irreplaceable. I am OK with my sons' friends playing my nicer guitars without my presence as long as they don't take them out of the guitar room. I will let anybody play the guitars that are in the living room on stands.

I would lend my best guitar to my best friend for a limited time, but it is moot because he doesn't play guitar :) I would consider lending my second best guitar more freely.

And Rick, remember the cold beer-can compress for after surgery!

dennisg

Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:16 pm

Hmmmmm......my dad....he's the one who taught me how to be really carefull of my guitars in the first place, so I'd trust any guitar of mine with him....no sweat..

Come to think, I did loan one of them not so long ago to a very good friend, who définitely knows how I feel about my guitars (I had actually just bought it), but yeah along with lóts of specific instructions, haha :laugh: ! Then again I don't own any €3000 guitars :S , not even clóse, so I'm not thát protective of them!:lol:

btw I got it back in top condition, really depends to whom you loan it! :)

Ness

Hydroman52

Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:26 am

I’ve had some good and bad experiences loaning out my musical instruments and gear. There’s a posting in a thread somewhere on TG where a “friend” took off the finish on one of my guitars right before my eyes. Then I have loaned out music books, microphones, etc. and I never saw them again. So I guess I might still be in the group that would allow someone to play one of my lesser used guitars while I was in the room, but wouldn’t let them leave with it.

It’s more of a way to avoid possible future hassles, like who would take care of an expensive repair if something got broken? Don’t need to go there at this point in my life. Guess I’m a bit gun-shy from previous experience. Besides, all my guitars serve a purpose with alternate tunings and as back-ups in case one gets injured and needs to go to the luthier for healing. If someone has the boldness to ask me if they can borrow one, I have the boldness to politely say “No, I don’t do that”, and suggest an alternative like renting one from a music store.

Reminds me of an old saying – "If you loan a friend $20 and never see it again, it’s money well spent". Perhaps that could be the alternative . . . . . loan him/her $20 to rent one from a music store.

Hydroman52

silvermatter

Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:16 pm

Hydroman52 wrote:
Reminds me of an old saying – "If you loan a friend $20 and never see it again, it’s money well spent". Perhaps that could be the alternative . . . . . loan him/her $20 to rent one from a music store.
sounds good to me :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic