Which do you love more?

tovo

Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:27 pm

dennisg wrote:
I feel exactly the same as Tony. I love his wife far more than my guitars.
Tell you what. I'll arrange for her to pop over for a bit. When she leaves she can take all of your guitars and you can then decide which you miss more.

Bear, she is wonderful. She is more focused on happiness than dollars, as a result she doesn't really care what I spend provided we don't lose the house or something drastic. It works for me!!

Thirdly if I can, I absolutely agree with what UncleWalt wrote.

Lavallee

Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:10 pm

I think that all the serious life topics here have to be taken with a grain of salt, and a pinch of fun otherwise this is were I see a problem.

Marc

unclewalt

Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:15 am

Lavallee wrote:
I think that all the serious life topics here have to be taken with a grain of salt, and a pinch of fun otherwise this is were I see a problem.

Marc
Fair enough. I suppose this can be seen as the "Do you drive your spouse insane with your love of gear?" topic. I was just taken aback by how it was framed, I guess.

Luckily, I've never had enough money for this to be an issue, though my girlfriend in high school thought I was a little crazy for trading my guitar for an ounce of weed! (It really was an even trade - the weed was great and the guitar not so much, and I had another, better one).

AndyT

Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:17 am

I agree Unca Walt, but it's not about a 'fetish'. It's more about loving to play so much that you have a tendency to accidentally forget things. Or you lose track of time and before you realize it, you've used up part of 'Her' time.

My wife and I have a 'Date night' set aside every week. On that day we turn off the phones, computers and whatever else might interrupt and spend time alone. We might take in a movie, go walking, sit on the porch swing, go to the park, or something that we can do together. Usually, we try and make it something simple so that we spend very little if any money. The point is to do something that is just for us. If it draws attention away from each other, then we probably won't do it. If it brings our attention back to each other, then it's a winner.

I know many guys who don't have a 'date night' and they have wives that grumble about most things, most of the time, including guitars and how much time they spend with them over the spouse. (significant other)

Rick, since your guitars are quite likely not to survive you, put me in your will. I guess I can force myself to live with the Taylor neck. After all, I wouldn't want to see them dismembered or worse.... LOL

AndyT

Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:20 am

Hey! No fair responding while I'm typing! LOL

Weed huh? LOL I made a similar trade, but for a broken motorcycle. It had no engine and I got a lid for it. Soooooo long ago.....

jimbo58

Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:36 am

what you said Tony is so, so true, loving a inanimate object more than your wife or partner would be sad, i have had my guitars for about 5 years, but my wife has been

by my side for over 40 years, mind you i do get enjoyment from both!

Lavallee

Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:17 am

unclewalt wrote:
Lavallee wrote:

Marc
Fair enough. I suppose this can be seen as the "Do you drive your spouse insane with your love of gear?" topic. I was just taken aback by how it was framed, I guess.

Luckily, I've never had enough money for this to be an issue, though my girlfriend in high school thought I was a little crazy for trading my guitar for an ounce of weed! (It really was an even trade - the weed was great and the guitar not so much, and I had another, better one).
Dan,
Interesting anecdote as I sold my guitar when I was in college so that I could party more. I drank the money but the guy still have the guitar. I asked him recently to sell it back to me but he was not interested.

Marc

unclewalt

Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:53 am

Lavallee wrote:
unclewalt wrote:
Lavallee wrote:

Marc

Dan,
Interesting anecdote as I sold my guitar when I was in college so that I could party more. I drank the money but the guy still have the guitar. I asked him recently to sell it back to me but he was not interested.

Marc
"Never spend your guitar or your pen."

-- Pete Townshend

Music Junkie

Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:28 am

There is no question that my first and strongest love is for my wife and my family..... B)

For fun though, I do have to admit that my love of playing guitar does get away from me from time to time. Usually at the expense of watching movies or playing board games with my wife and kids. I hear about it and then I stop for a bit. It seems I always gravitate back to the guitar playing though.... ;)

My wife is the one who pushed me into really giving guitar a go originally. She knew I had wanted to learn for a long time. I bought a guitar and ended up loving it. I then started buying more guitars and she had to get after me. "Don't you buy another guitar until you can play an entire song all the way through"... :silly: Well, thanks to lots of practice and a great website you might know about, I have several songs under my belt and my guitar collection has since grown. Almost embarrassingly so..... Like Tony, I have a wife who supports me 100% and actually believes in my level of playing more than i do... :) Makes such a huge difference. So when it comes down to it, I couldn't love guitar as much as I do without her. For that I am truly thankful... :)

I have yet to trade a guitar for anything, but I did trade my freedom for a spectacular life with a beautiful woman a little over 15yrs ago..... :silly: :silly:

J

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic