Which do you love more?

AndyT

Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:28 pm

After Rick's thread about loaning your guitar out, (YIKES!) It struck me that I've heard so many wives complain about being guitar widows. Their husbands love their guitars more than them is the general idea. After reading the replies in Rick's thread, I wonder if there might be something to this.

Now, of course, we are not about to lend out our wives, (or husbands Suzy), but do we give them enough attention so that they don't get jealous of the guitar or not?

Which do you love more?

tovo

Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:37 pm

I was watching a great documentary on SRV and he made a comment about how his guitar was his first love and first wife, that it didn't talk back to him it talked for him. Sounds a cool quote and I love SRV, but it was a sad quote in my mind. A guy saying he loved metal and strings more than people.
There's no question about what or who I love more, but what I love MOST about my wife in relation to guitar is that although music doesn't interest her in the way it interests me, she has never been anything but 100% supportive, even accepting my predilection for buying and selling guitars at a fast rate with a smile and a shrug. I know I give her enough attention and if you knew her you would understand why.
I feel deeply sorry for people who have an unsupportive partner in this regard.

dennisg

Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:44 pm

I feel exactly the same as Tony. I love his wife far more than my guitars.

willem

Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:47 pm

Every morning I go first out bed and bring her coffee and a kiss......

but you set me on a thinkin Andy...

Chasplaya

Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:47 pm

tovo wrote:
I was watching a great documentary on SRV and he made a comment about how his guitar was his first love and first wife, that it didn't talk back to him it talked for him. Sounds a cool quote and I love SRV, but it was a sad quote in my mind. A guy saying he loved metal and strings more than people.
There's no question about what or who I love more, but what I love MOST about my wife in relation to guitar is that although music doesn't interest her in the way it interests me, she has never been anything but 100% supportive, even accepting my predilection for buying and selling guitars at a fast rate with a smile and a shrug. I know I give her enough attention and if you knew her you would understand why.
I recall watching this doco and thought the same, brilliant artist but maybe lonely in life, that's why he could play the Blues!. No question with me, I say from time to time that a couple of my guitars are irreplaceable, buts because of the sentimental value of how I obtained them. Of course they can be replaced. My wife also is 100% supportive even suggesting purchases and recently noted I was not playing as much and the realisation is our new house is 2 story and the guitars and main PC are down stairs with the main living area upstairs, thus I felt it rude to be downstairs playing guitar and using the PC and her upstairs. SO my wife's solution buy a new PC that can sit on our breakfast bar upstairs, a new HP touchscreen machine, supposedly new sound, video cards etc was duly ordered and I am back! NOw just got to get time away from new job to video my TG banner effort. Which my Wife has also made several suggestions

willem

Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:57 pm

Chasplaya wrote:
tovo wrote:
I recall watching this doco and thought the same, brilliant artist but maybe lonely in life, that's why he could play the Blues!. No question with me, I say from time to time that a couple of my guitars are irreplaceable, buts because of the sentimental value of how I obtained them. Of course they can be replaced. My wife also is 100% supportive even suggesting purchases and recently noted I was not playing as much and the realisation is our new house is 2 story and the guitars and main PC are down stairs with the main living area upstairs, thus I felt it rude to be downstairs playing guitar and using the PC and her upstairs. SO my wife's solution buy a new PC that can sit on our breakfast bar upstairs, a new HP touchscreen machine, supposedly new sound, video cards etc was duly ordered and I am back! NOw just got to get time away from new job to video my TG banner effort. Which my Wife has also made several suggestions

Chas,, I think or geuss you give us some bottleneck music with that banner...can'twait to see/hear it..

abiliog

Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:29 pm

If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 apples, how many pancakes will fit
on the roof?

Answer:
Purple because aliens don't wear hats.

Abilio

BigBear

Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:37 pm

tovo wrote:

Yeah mate, Cindy must be the best wife on the planet to let you buy all those fancy guitars! You are one lucky fellow!! :lol:

BigBear

Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:41 pm

I love my wife more than anything, usually, but there are days........ My wife is the least supportive wife I know of about my guitars. She just has a thing about my music. I support her hobbies unconditionally but she thinks my guitars will make great kindling when I'm gone. I guess there is no such thing as a "perfect" marriage? LOL!

unclewalt

Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:52 pm

Maybe it's because I don't have a guitar fetish*, but this strikes me as a very odd question. If you love a guitar, or set of them, or any other possessions, more than you do your wife (or husband, Suzy, other women, and any married gay dudes who might be on here), it seems to me that it probably needs to be discussed somewhere other than an Internet message board.

*I mean, I like my guitars a lot, and would like to have more and better ones, as well as other instruments. But other stuff is important to me, too, so I don't think it's a fetish, exactly.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic